"Max" is both a name (short for Maxwell, Maximilian, or Maxine) and also short for "Maximum", leading to all sorts of names both punny
. See Cutscene Power to the Max
, Catchphrase To The Max
, and Alice Allusion
open/close all folders
- Max Keeble
- Max Zorrin
- Max Rockatansky
- Maximus Decimus Meridius
- Max Aldorfer, protagonist in Liliana Cavani's film The Night Porter. He is a reformed Nazi officer who had a sadomasochistic relationship with a concentration camp inmate.
- Maximillian, whose master was coincidentally played by Maximillian Schell.
- Maxim Brailovsky
- Maxie, a movie about a woman who is possessed by the title character, a ghost who tried to break into the film industry in the 1920s.
- Maximum Bob
- Maximum Ride
- In The Hitch Hikers Guide To The Galaxy the fat cat boss of Megadodo Publications (publisher of the Guide) is named Maxelcat.
- Maxim magazine, though it may not count as literature.
- It's named after the Maxim machine gun.
- Maxie (no relation to the above movie), a fashion doll that was essentially Hasbro's answer to Barbie. She later appeared in her own TV series, "Maxies World".
- A line of action figures (later adapted into a TV series) called "Stone Protectors" was centered around Troll-like beingsnote who made up a rock band (the "Stone Protectors" of the title). The guitarist was named "Max" (short for Maxwell).
- Jazz drummer Max Roach
- Max Factor
- Max Planck
- Max Weinberg
- Max Weber
- Max Brooks
- Viva Max! - Mexican General Maximillain de Santos retakes the Alamo, in 1969.
- Max Ernst
- Max Schreck, German actor famous for playing Count
Dracula Orlof in the film Nosferatu.
- Named after the above, industrialist Max Schreck in Batman Returns.
- After the Real Life fat cat publisher Robert Maxwell.
- Staff Sergeant Max Fightmaster, who
may have has the single greatest name ever given to a man.
- Max Venturi, LAMBOURGHINI TESTER!
- Max Brenner is a guy who owns a chain of chocolate themed restaurants.
- He doesn't actually exist; the name of the chain is an amalgam of the two founders' names.
- Max Baer was a boxer, his son Max Baer Jr. played Jethro on The Beverly Hillbillies.
- Max Steiner
- Max Von Sydow.
- Minolta made a camera series called Maxxum. (Although in Japan it was marketed as Alpha and in Europe as Dynax. When Sony took over Minolta they changed the name to Alpha worldwide.)
- Subtitling company CaptionMax is named for its founder, Max Duckler, who clearly saw the potential of this trope in naming the company after himself.
- Bandamax, a music channel that plays regional Mexican (Norteņa, Banda, Grupera, etc) music videos.
- "Like, totally to the max!"