"Max" is both a name (short for Maxwell, Maximilian, or Maxine) and also short for "Maximum", leading to all sorts of names both Punny
. See Cutscene Power to the Max
, Catchphrase To The Max
, and Alice Allusion
open/close all folders
- Max Keeble
- Max Zorrin
- Max Rockatansky
- Maximus Decimus Meridius
- Max Aldorfer, protagonist in Liliana Cavani's film The Night Porter. He is a reformed Nazi officer who had a sadomasochistic relationship with a concentration camp inmate.
- Maximillian, whose master was coincidentally played by Maximillian Schell.
- Maxim Brailovsky
- Maxie, a movie about a woman who is possessed by the title character, a ghost who tried to break into the film industry in the 1920s.
- Maximum Bob
- Maximum Ride
- In The Hitch Hikers Guide To The Galaxy the fat cat boss of Megadodo Publications (publisher of the Guide) is named Maxelcat.
- Maxim magazine, though it may not count as literature.
- It's named after the Maxim machine gun.
- Maxie (no relation to the above movie), a fashion doll that was essentially Hasbro's answer to Barbie. She later appeared in her own TV series, "Maxies World".
- A line of action figures (later adapted into a TV series) called "Stone Protectors" was centered around Troll-like beingsnote who made up a rock band (the "Stone Protectors" of the title). The guitarist was named "Max" (short for Maxwell).
- Max Facepuncher. The "Max" is short for "Maximum".
- Red Meat, written by Max Cannon.
- Grrl Power: Maxima, real name Maximillia Leander, or of course "Max" for short. She is not only the most powerful super known to exist, but can supercharge any one of her powers, and even weaken some of her powers to "max out" another power.
- Jazz drummer Max Roach
- Max Factor
- Max Planck
- Max Weinberg
- Max Weber
- Max Brooks
- Viva Max! - Mexican General Maximillain de Santos retakes the Alamo, in 1969.
- Max Ernst
- Max Schreck, German actor famous for playing Count
Dracula Orlof in the film Nosferatu.
- Named after the above, industrialist Max Schreck in Batman Returns.
- After the Real Life fat cat publisher Robert Maxwell.
- Staff Sergeant Max Fightmaster, who
may have has the single greatest name ever given to a man.
- Max Venturi, LAMBOURGHINI TESTER!
- Max Brenner is a guy who owns a chain of chocolate themed restaurants.
- He doesn't actually exist; the name of the chain is an amalgam of the two founders' names.
- Max Baer was a boxer, his son Max Baer Jr. played Jethro on The Beverly Hillbillies.
- Max Steiner
- Max von Sydow.
- Minolta made a camera series called Maxxum. (Although in Japan it was marketed as Alpha and in Europe as Dynax. When Sony took over Minolta they changed the name to Alpha worldwide.)
- Subtitling company CaptionMax is named for its founder, Max Duckler, who clearly saw the potential of this trope in naming the company after himself.
- Bandamax, a music channel that plays regional Mexican (Norteņa, Banda, Grupera, etc) music videos.