Matt Fraction is a writer of Comic Books
, mostly known from his works at Marvel Comics
. While having his share of fans and haters
, he is considered one of the most friendly people in the industry.
Notable works by Matt-Fraction:
- Fear Itself event
- The Five Fists Of Science
- Immortal Iron Fist #1-16, plus one-shots and annual (with Ed Brubaker)
- Invincible Iron Man #1- ongoing
- The Mighty Thor #1-ongoing, Thor #615-621, Thor: Ages of Thunder one-shot.
- Uncanny X-Men #500 (with Ed Brubaker), #501-529, #530-534 (with Kieron Gillen), including crossover with Dark Avengers.
- Hawkeye #1- one of the last series debuted before Marvel NOW!, critically acclaimed.
- The Defenders (a new book debuting in late 2011, which will tie off one of the loose ends of Fear Itself).
- Sensational Spider-Man Annual #1, the only Spider-Man story to be nominated for an Eisner award (note to Marvel: This story celebrated Peter's marraige to Mary Jane rather than approach it as a problem, might want to remember that someday)
- Fantastic Four and FF (takes over as part of the "Marvel NOW" restructure. Fantastic Four sees Reed, Sue, Ben, Johnny, Franklin and Val venturing on a family vacation for parts unknown when something goes wrong. FF will revolve around Ant-Man (Scott Lang), She-Hulk (Jen Walters), Medusa and a new character named Miss Thing, who are house sitting while Reed and co. are away. And Scott's plans against Doctor Doom for killing his daughter, Cassie "Stature" Lang, at the end of Avengers: The Children's Crusade.
- Satellite Sam, a Noir Murder Mystery revolving around a television studio during the Golden Age of Hollywood that's thrown into turmoil when the star of the titular Flash Gordon-esque TV series is killed, leaving his son both stuck with his father's role and investigating his death.
- Sex Criminals, critically acclaimed and based on the admittedly ridiculous premise of a young couple who stop time when they orgasm and (naturally) use this ability to rob banks and save their ailing local library.
Tropes Embodied by Matt Fraction:
- Awesome Mc Cool Name: There is no way in hell he is not an actual crime fighter with a name like Matt Fraction.
- He isn't a real crime fighter - it's a pseudonym. His real last name is Fritchman.
- Lying Creator: While advertising a crossover between X-Men and Dark Avengers, Fraction said that Colossus will have important role, being their major power-up in a fight against a team featuring Sentry and Ares, strongly suggesting that Colossus will have to fight one of them. He hasn't met either. Fraction also promised interactions between Noh-Varr and girls from New X-Men, but he hasn't appeared anywhere near any of them.
- Nice Guy: In a very short time, he befriended basically everybody at Marvel, from Brian Michael Bendis to Jeph Loeb to Warren Ellis, and many writers admit they enjoy spending time with Fraction and sharing their story ideas with him.
- At San Diego Comic-Con, he apparently bought a fan a copy of Batman: Year One, after hearing that the fan had never read it.
- Broken Base: His tenure as writer of Invincible Iron Man firmly divided the fandom into people who loved his writing, and those that despised it.