Japanese-born American actor, comic, and special effects artist (and pianist. And kendo practitioner. And director. And probably something else we've forgotten).
Has played several noteworthy characters, including:
Tropes associated with Masi Oka
- Adorkable: Has a tendency to play characters who are this. With his admission that Hiro's personality is a lot like his own with just a little extra excitability and naivete, it seems this is at least partly due to being adorkable himself.
- Asian and Nerdy: Hiro and Max are both major nerds, as is Masi himself.
- The Cast Showoff: Hiro uses swords, Franklyn sings in Japanese, and Max plays the piano. Why? Because Masi already has the skill.
- Catch Phrase: Hiro's "YATTA!" has become a bit of a rallying cry in the fandom. His Japanese fans are known to run up, shout "Yatta!", bow, and then scurry off.
- Interchangeable Asian Cultures: He once played a Chinese man in Without a Trace. His characters are often prone to deal with this issue as well.
- Role Association: Anyone who ever saw him on Heroes will now constantly be caught saying, "Hey, it's Hiro!" if he shows up anywhere else.
- The Smart Guy: He has an IQ above 180. Max is likewise introduced as a savant, and Hiro is a level three programmer.