You probably remember them from Full House
. Or maybe it was the straight-to-V/H/S
mystery movies? Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen have been the top earning stars under the age of 21 from the early 90's to the mid 2000s. They earned $40 million in 2006 even though they hadn't acted in anything. The girls do quite well living off their royalties, and were more famous for dating people, talking to debutantes (Paris Hilton
) and having anorexia scandals (Mary Kate) in the tabloids. (in 2003-2006).
They were the original famous twins, and their concept stuck
They have asked to be called Mary Kate Olsen and Ashley Olsen, since they have grown up. Their success has been marked on Forbes The Celebrity 100 list since 2002, and in 2007 Forbes ranked the twins as the eleventh-richest women in entertainment, with an estimated net worth of $100 million.
For their years post teen-star status, Mary Kate took on acting in such movies as Beastly
and The Wackness
. She's also had a multi episode stint on the show Weeds
and guest starred on Samantha Who?
. Mary-Kate has her own line with Jane Belfry and Fred Holston. The line is currently in development. Their production company, Dualstar Productions, bankrolled a 2007 adaptation of The Prince and the Pauper
starring Dylan and Cole Sprouse.
Ashley is currently focusing on their clothing lines. "The Row", "Elizabeth And James" and "Olsenboyne"
In Fall 2008, the girls wrote a book called "Influence" as a tribute to designers, artists and other industry creative individuals who inspired them.
A little known fact is that they are technically Non-Identical Twins
, and are fraternal. One's face is slightly rounder than the other.
They are parodied in the Web Original Very Mary Kate
They have a sister named Elizabeth, also an actress, who made her cinematic debut in 2012's Martha Marcy May Marlene
Some tropes used by their movies:
Some tropes used by their TV shows:
- Alpha Bitch: Jennifer in Two of a Kind.
- Missing Mom: Both Full House and Two of a Kind have the Olsens playing the daughter(s) of a widowed father.
- Take That: "I Blame The Media" after getting caught making a mess in Larrypolooza in So Little Time.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: In Two of a Kind, Ashley was presented as a very fashion-forward girl while Mary-Kate was a typical tomboy.
- Betty and Veronica: Everything that they've ever been in. Ashley's character might be interested in fashion and modeling or be the cool surfer chick but will always be the boy-crazy Veronica while Mary-Kate's character might be a serious student or serious athlete but always the down to earth one.