Among men, Lu Bu. Among horses, Red Hare The Cao Man Zhuan(History)
Style name: Feng Xian. Japanese name: Ryofu Housen.
One of the most well-known names from the Romance of the Three Kingdoms
, Lu Bu is well known as one of China's most powerful warrior, but also known in the novel for being a backstabbing traitor
His real parents were unknown but he made his first appearance in history as a commander of Ding Yuan (in the novel, he's actually a foster son). After being persuaded to betray Ding Yuan, Lu Bu did so with gusto and served Dong Zhuo.Unlike the novel/games,he was not persuaded by the red hare nor a maid. He was persuaded due to a means of survival.Ding Yuan was foolishly challenging Dong Zhuo when he got less than 1/5 of Dong Soldiers.Lu Bu staying would've certainly lead to his death.
Therefore Lu Bu went on to served Dong Zhuo.Unlike the game where he was a buffoon of a commmander .He was a highly talented commander that was an asset to those he served.Sadly,he was a step below the best of that area.Leading to his defeat from the undefeated at the time Sun Jian who repel and defeated Lu Bu and Dong Zhuo forces.Dong Zhuo slowly began retreating.He then was defeated decisively at Hu Lao Gate.
Afterwards, He killed Dong after being persuaded by being persuaded by Wang Yun that its for the best of the Han dynasty.Also Dong Zhuo throwing a axes at him during his many fits of rage,destroyed any goodwill Lu Bu have for him, didn't help the matter.This was after Puppet Emperor incident. (in the novel, this was Wang Yun's plan all along, using that maid, here named Diao Chan, to make Lu Bu fall in love. He did, for real).Once more,unlike in history,Lu Bu attempt to save Wang Yun with several hundred calvary but got repel and got no choice but to escape on his own.
He then join(mercenary) Yuan in his campaign against Cao Cao and help Yuan win some major battles.Afterwards he grow discontent and decided to leave and told Yuan so.Yuan demand he stay but Lu Bu refused and Yuan ordered his men to attack Lu Bu.All of them were too scared and didn't pursue Lu Bu.
Lu Bu went on to fight against Cao Cao and gain some early success against Cao Cao.Sadly the advantage was lost when famine struck Lu Bu camp and cause him to lose most of his supplies.Cao Cao took the chance and somewhat acknowledged Lu Bu ability by personally leading the counterattack against Lu Bu himself. Lu Bu slowly lost most of his territory due to both the famine and the area being fought at being a very tough place to defend.Explain Lu Bu own early success. It took Cao Cao two years but he eventually push Lu Bu out.In one of the last battles in the area.Lu Bu men luckily manages to captured Cao Cao but let him go since none of them recognize Cao Cao.
Lu Bu then out of a need survive attacked Liu Bei territory and took it from Zhang Fei.He unlike in history let Zhang Fei and Liu Bei family go and treat them nicely. In spite of Zhang Fei destroying Lu Bu earlier attempt of befriending Liu Bei by attacking and killing one of Lu Bu general.Liu Bei came to Cao Cao and ask for his help and retaking his territory and together they fought against Lu Bu and eventually defeating him one and for all in Xia Pi.Several of his officers began to leave him,but his soldiers refuse to leave him and fought to the bitter end. Unlike the novel/game,he has the trust/love of his soliders. Historian said a little too much tolerance and not enough discipline that might'd cause him.Forward,Lu Bu knowing defeat was imminent tell his men to cut his head off and gave it to Cao Cao.All of them refused to do so and he eventually the battle ended. Chen Gong(formerly Cao Cao advisor before Lu Bu),the only advisor that Lu Bu got that hasn't betrayed him of the three, came to Lu Bu and Apologize to him for almost single handily causing his countless defeat .Lu Bu didn't minded and thank him for his services or loyalty.Lu Bu tried to appeal to Cao Cao's services and also Liu Bei who he saved earlier with robin hood feat, but Liu Bei showed Lu Bu's backstabbing record, Cao Cao refused his services and had Lu Bu executed. Cao Cao then proceeds kill most of those who were loyal to Lu Bu and recruit the less loyal of Lu Bu's men.Zhang Liao came afterwards and surrender to Cao Cao.He wasn't in Xia Pi at the time and therefore wasn't captured along with Lu Bu.He came after Lu Bu has been executed by strangulation. Gran Yu at the time wanted Lu Bu beautiful wife which was an inspiration for Diao Chan and ask Cao Cao for her.Cao Cao was intrigue and after seeing her took her for himself. She later give Cao Cao several kids.
Betrayal-Ding was arrogant and would've certainly died against Dong Zhuo. Dong was losing territory and was overall a bad person to Lu Bu and the empire.Liu Bei was the only one true betrayal of Lu Bu and the one that got him kill.Nonetheless,novel/games tend to make him out to be a betrayer of massive proportion when in history at worst there only three betrayal and really only one true betrayal.Of course it is against Liu Bei who is made out to be nearly a saint in the novel/games and by upgrading his first master to be his adopted father while ignoring that Dong Zhuo actions are definitely not fatherly.
While he was indeed short-lived, one cannot deny that Lu Bu is probably the single, mightiest warrior and notable talented commander, in the age of the Three Kingdoms,that if given some luck could have made a much greater impact in his time.Sadly his lack of political skills,bad advisers,old age and having no son would had never allow him to succeed as a ruler.=
Lu Bu in other medias:
- Romance Of The Three Kingdoms by Koei, in which Lu Bu is a mainstay and usually well known for his impressive WAR stat. His only drawback is his dumbass INT, which makes him suspectible to ploys.
- Dynasty Warriors. Lu Bu is usually an antagonistic super boss, serving Dong Zhuo before striking on his own. There is a saying: "Don't pursue Lu Bu." You'd be best to heed that when you hear that being said. Although in your hand, he's usually a Game Breaker.
- This carries over in Warriors Orochi where Lu Bu sided with Orochi to find worthy opponents throughout the ages. He finds two: Honda Tadakatsu in the first game, and Minamoto no Yoshitsune in the second game. Poor Orochi didn't take account of Lu Bu's backstabbing record, so he ended up betraying Orochi at one point.
- As with the genderflip Ikki Tousen, Lu Bu's counterpart is Ryofu, a troubled buxom girl who served under Toutaku (Dong Zhuo), but ended up betraying him and dying together with her lover Chinkyuu (... Chen Gong!?). She came back temporarily for the 3rd season.
- And again with genderflipping, in Koihime†Musou, Lu Bu/Ryofu is instead an Emotionless Girl who likes animals. This is really contrasting to the historical/novel impulsive and hotheaded Lu Bu.
- World Heroes features 'Lu Bu' as a playable character, here named Ryofu.
- In Fate/EXTRA, Lu Bu becomes a Berserker-class Servant under Rani VIII.
- In Tekken although Lu Bu doesn't appear in person, Feng Wei has a move called 'Spear of Lu Bu' and he can be customized to look like he's wearing Lu Bu's attire.
- In the Panda Entertainment fighter/strategy game series Sango Fighter, Lu Bu is a rather unremarkable Dragon to Cao Cao in the first game(having more moves than everyone else helps though), but gets a Badass Upgrade in the second. For starters, he has 3 bars(300HP) compared to everyone else's 2 in the strategy mode. For another, if you can't kill him in a single "round"(defined as every faction taking a turn), he completely heals up by the next, even if he was down to a single HP. Everyone else has to settle for 20/25/30 HP healed per turn. For gameplay balance, that's justifiable, since he's the only faction that has no backup generals, so if he loses, it's game over for his owner(CPU or player). He also has 3 different ways to use up his super bar(projectile/uppercut/grab), compared to most others' 1 or 2. Those with projectiles get upgraded projectiles, some have super grabs, others, like Xu Ju(the fat guy with the yellow do-rag) have ONLY the super grab(which makes him dangerous up close, as he won't accidentally use up his bar on anything else).