"My arms hurt."
Most guys would give anything to have the girl of his dreams literally
want a piece of him.
But it can get painful if more than one girl wants that to happen
This classic Harem Anime
scene consists of each young lady in this tug of war grabbing an extremity (usually an arm) and literally
trying to take her man away from her rival(s), in a grotesquely hilarious exaggeration of wish fulfillment
. Bonus Points
if girls in competition shout this:
"No, he's mine!"
The poor guy in question is effectively Made of Iron
for the duration of suffering under this trope, especially when the contestants have Super Strength
This trope also shows the chivalrous side of a guy — he Wouldn't Hit a Girl
even to protect himself from this trope. For this reason, a girl is rarely fought over this directly in Distaff Counterpart
See A Lady on Each Arm
for the less violent version of this trope.
Anime and Manga
- Archie: Try finding some promotional art for this comic or its (non-Jughead) spinoffs that doesn't depict Betty and Veronica doing this to Archie.
- Superman: A lot of old comics, specially Lois Lane comics feature Lois Lane and Lana Lang in such a position. Superman being Superman, of course, he can take whatever these ladies can dish out.
- The final battle with the evil genie in Tales Of The Arabian Nights is basically this, with the genie and the player dueling for a (captive) princess. Successful shots on the player's part pulls her closer to his side, while poor pinball skills will cause the genie to exert more pull instead.
- Jimmy Two-Shoes: Heloise and Beezy over Jimmy in "The Competition".
- In one of the earlier color episodes of Popeye, Popeye and Pluto vie for Olive Oyl's affections by pulling each of her arms in opposite directions. (Since she originated in the age of rubber-hose animation, her arms stretch to a length of about 30 feet.)
- A disturbing one in Superjail! where the women from the female prison have a ball with the men, the Twins release spanish flies that drive all the women sex crazy. In one case two girls do this to the point they rip the man's arms off and start dry humping themselves with said arms.
- Gender Flipped in Monster House in which DJ and Chowder each grab one of Jenny's arms and try to tug her in opposite directions. Of course, they're also trying to get her out of the way of the Monster House's attack, but each one's insistence on pulling her in his direction is more a hindrance than a help.
- Ménage ŕ 3 has used this at least twice, reflecting the artist's fondness for Archie comics:
- Yuki and Sonya do it to Gary here. And of course, neither of them want to share, as when Gary suggests getting together with both of them, they give him a joint Death Glare.
- It happens to him again a few hundred strips later, with Senna and Sandra, the minor twist there being that Sandra wants his geeky advice rather than his affections. Note that, in both cases, Gary's inability to resolve the question indicates passivity rather than chivalry.