Love Stage is a Boys Love
manga created by Zaou Taishi and Eiki Eiki that is being currently serialized in Asuka Ciel magazine. It has been announced to receive an anime adaptation in the future.
Sena Izumi is an otaku in a family full of entertainers; his mom is an actress, his dad a singer, and his older brother a member in the famous music group 'Crusherz'. His family wants him to join the entertainment business, but he doesn't want any of that, instead he wants to be a mangaka. But when he reunites with Ichijou Ryouma, an up and coming actor who had fallen in love with him when they did a commercial together as children, it seems like his family will get their wish.
Love Stage also has a side story by the name of Back Stage, which is a novel about Izumi's older brother Shougo and Sena's Production manager Sagara Rei.
- Above the Influence
- Attractive Bent-Gender: Izumi.
- Barbie Doll Anatomy
- Beta Couple: Shougo and Rei in the main story of Love Stage; they are the main couple in Back Stage and few other side stories in the Love Stage manga.
- Boys Love
- Big Brother Instinct: Shougo really loves his little brother.
- Childhood Friend Romance: While the two aren't exactly Childhood Friends, Ryouma and Izumi met when they were ten and eight, Ryouma fell in love with Izumi at first sight and Izumi eventually reciprocated his feelings ten years later.
- Comic Book Fantasy Casting: Shougo is based on Eiki Eiki's little brother Daigo, who's a lead vocalist in the band Breakerz.
- Crazy Jealous Guy: Ryouma doesn't react well when Izumi forms a good relationship with Jin.
- Declaration of Protection: Ryouma accepts a part in a drama to protect Izumi from the director who seems to have become attracted towards Izumi.
- Dragged into Drag: Izumi, as young as the age of 8.
- Dude He's Like Passed Out Dead Drunk: Rei doesn't need Shougo awake to feel refreshed.
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: Izumi
- Gender-Blender Name: Izumi's name is androgynous and is more feminine than masculine, which also helps with Ryouma's initial confusion of Izumi's gender.
- Hot Parents
- Hypocritical Humor:
- If It's You, It's Okay: Stated word for word by Izumi
- Leaning on the Fourth Wall: Izumi was worried that he was an uke in a BL manga.
- Love Epiphany: Ryouma realizes he's still in love with Izumi when he sees him naked and is overcome with desire rather than disgust (though, Ryouma never fully did lose his feelings for Izumi when he learned he was a guy) and Izumi has one for Ryouma when he is being violated by three men and he says to himself that he doesn't want it if it's not with Ryouma.
- Megane: Izumi, sometimes, and Rei.
- Naked Apron: Rei dresses up in one for white day after he failed to bake a cake.
- Cosplay: What Rei ends up doing for every holiday.
- No Celebrities Were Harmed: Shougo is obviously based off of Daigo from the band Breakerz.
- Official Couple: Ryouma and Izumi, Shougo and Rei.
- One Head Taller: Ryouma is a little more than a full head taller than Izumi. Adverted with Shougo and Rei, as they are about the same height.
- Replacement Love Interest: What Shougo starts as with Rei.
- Seme: Shougo and Ryouma.
- Single-Target Sexuality: Ryouma says as much here
- Spoiled Sweet: Izumi is really spoiled by Rei and Shougo.
- Uke: Izumi and Rei. In the in-universe doujinshis pairing Ryouma and Shougo, Ryouma is the Uke of the pairing.
- Unrequited Love: Ryouma has been in love with Izumi for ten years and is greatly saddened when he finds out Izumi is a boy, but his feelings remain, but aren't reciprocated. Izumi slowly begins falling for Ryouma and eventually become a couple.
- Unsettling Gender-Reveal: Ryouma was sure that Izumi was a girl.
- Viewer Gender Confusion: Izumi is very feminine in appearance naturally, he confuses many people into thinking he's a girl without being dressed up as one.
- What Beautiful Eyes: All characters' eyes are drawn in a distinctive style, though Izumi's are the best example.
- What Could Have Been: Zaou Taishi wanted Shougo as the uke, but Eiki Eiki didn't want a character based on her brother to be an uke.
- Wholesome Crossdresser: Izumi.
- Yaoi Fangirls: Shougo's and Ryouma's fan girls; so much that there's actually in-universe doujinshis pairing them together