Looks Like She Is Enjoying It
aka: It Looks Like Shes Enjoying It
Some characters when in situations of psychological or physical stress or pain, have the tendency to externalize their suffering by moaning, crying or even screaming out loud. However, in this particular case the noises made by the victim are mistaken for sounds of sexual pleasure by other characters.
This trope is applied mostly to female characters, although it has
been used by male characters, too. It's just rarer.
If she really is
enjoying it, she's Too Kinky to Torture
or a Combat Sadomasochist
. If both combatants are (ahem)
doing it, it's Orgasmic Combat
Naturally, this can be prime Fetish Fuel
. Associating the sounds with the act that causes them can even create
fetishes for some impressionable viewers. In harder pornographic works (and a lot of Hentai
), this trope can be deliberately invoked, possibly to ease the guilt of the viewer.
Subtrope of Freud Was Right
. Can either overlap with or invert Abuse Mistake
open/close all folders
- Inverted in Baccano! by Nice Hollystone. When her explosives lab blow up in her face, her scream does not sound like pleasure. Yet she fondly reminisces on it.
- Rip Van Winkle's death in Hellsing. The fact that the author used to draw pretty explicit Hentai means this is far from an accident.
- Karin from Naruto can heal people by having them bite her. While this is draining for her (and leaves painful-looking teethmarks on her body that never heal) the way she reacts comes across as dangerously close to orgasmic. Taken Up to Eleven by the anime adaptation. Since the only instances where she was shown using this technique were to heal Sasuke, the object of her psycho-crush, it is possible that she only gets aroused when she is bitten by Sasuke.
- Death Note: Light writing in the Death Note typically involves a lot of sweating, panting, shouting, and giggling in sadistic glee. Fan-Art ensued.
- El Hazard: The Alternative World: There's an instance of this in the final episode, which takes place at the Holy Spring of Arlaman, where Fatora and Allielle disguise themselves as two of the bath attendants to sexually molest Shayla, Nanami, and Afura. While it was clear that Shayla and Nanami weren't comfortable with being felt up, the same couldn't be said of Afura. Despite her protests, not only did she offer little in the way of resistance, she seemed to be getting into it. At least, until Alielle's brother, Parnasse, blew Alielle's cover. Then all hell broke loose.
- This is what happens when Dirk Anger finally kills himself in Nextwave. He accidentally hangs himself while shut in his room, which causes two Office Ladies, standing outside the room and listening to his strangled grunts, to think that he's looking at naughty websites.
- In Friday, the titular protagonist deals with torture-by-rape in this manner, creating the impression that she "just can't help herself" in order to convince them to give it up as useless, and also as a method of creating dissention amongst her captors.
Live Action Television
- Lampshaded in the Angel episode "Waiting in the Wings" when some of the heroes are searching a building and hear some noises.
Gunn: "Hear that? Sounds like someone's in pain."
Fred: "Either that or someone's in fun..."
- The penultimate scene of The Horror of Party Beach has an...interesting...moment when the heroine, who has injured her leg, is helped to a nearby car, leaving our good friends at MST3K only able to say, "Um...wow."
- In an episode of 3rd Rock from the Sun, Dick was Bound and Gagged (long story) and called Mary's office for help. Judith picks up the phone and responds thusly to Dick's muffled cries for help:
Judith: [deadpan voice] Oh, yeah. [muffled cry for help] Oh, baby. [muffled cry for help] I'm hot now. [muffled cry for help] Do me. [muffled cry for help] Do me all night. [muffled cry for help] I know it's you, Dick. [hangs up]
- Alex from Wizards of Waverly Place, at the end of "Dollhouse".
- In To Boldly Flee, Film Brain overhears Nostalgia Chick shrieking in fear/pain as Mechakara is assimilating her. He chalks it up to them having sex, as does everyone else (except for Obscurus Lupa)
- Happens to Yukimura in Sengoku Basara, both in the anime and in the games.
- In The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, most people you use the Gust Bellows on tend to shriek and cower, as they do not like getting smacked in the face with hurricane-level winds. Pipit's mother, on the other hand, starts cooing.
- Justified because she loves a clean house, and the Gust Bellows is what you use to dust for her.
- In the original Diablo, if you are killed while playing a female character, she sounds like she just went Out with a Bang.
- In DiabloII, it's those corrupted Sisters who do this. In all fairness though, they are moaning in relief out of being released from a bondage to evil.
- Female NPCs in Jagged Alliance 2. It's actually kind of creepy.
- The grunts made by Vulcan Raven during his boss fight in Metal Gear Solid, especially in the remake sound suspiciously like this. Given the already copious amounts of Ho Yay in those games, it was probably very intentional.