"Where am I from? All over, really. No place exciting."
— Megan McKeenan, "The Last Lonely Days at the Oxford Theatre"
A 12-part comic series published by Oni starting in 2005 and ending in 2008, Local
covered twelve years in the life of Megan McKeenan. Each issue was a stand-alone Slice of Life
story, sometimes with Megan as the main character, sometimes with her only in the background. Written by Brian Wood (DMZ
) and beautifully drawn by Ryan Kelly (Giant Robot Warriors
), each issue took place in a different city in North America and featured Megan at a different place in her life.
The twelve parts were:
- "Ten Thousand Thoughts Per Second" (Portland, Oregon)
- "Polaroid Boyfriend" (Minneapolis, Minnesota)
- "Theories and Defenses" (Richmond, Virginia)
- "Two Brothers" (Missoula, Montana)
- "The Last Lonely Days at the Oxford Theatre" (Halifax, Nova Scotia)
- "Megan and Gloria, Apartment 5A" (Brooklyn, New York)
- "Hazardous Youth" (Tempe, Arizona)
- "Food as Substitute" (Wicker Park, Chicago)
- "Wish You Were Here" (Norman, Oklahoma)
- "Bar Crawl" (Austin, Texas)
- "The Younger Generation" (Toronto, Ontario)
- "The House That Megan Built" (Vermont)
Each issue also has an amount of back matter, notes from both Wood and Kelly, including their own soundtracks to each issue. It is a definite must read.
This series contains the following tropes: