Beatrice Bright is for animal rights—
She's waiting for Animal Day to arrive.
And though you see her
In her new fox fur,
The fox that she wears is still
Basically when a woman is wearing one or more fur-bearing animals like a fur.
This is usually done to show a close relationship between an owner and pet that the pet would do this, or as a joke where The Reveal
is that the garment is of living animals.
This also nicely averts Fur and Loathing
, unless the animals are enslaved to do this.
of Pretty in Mink
, Improvised Clothes
A Sister Trope
to It's Fake Fur, It's Fine
(in averting the implications of real fur), Feather Boa Constrictor
(wearing a snake similarly).
Contrast Cruella to Animals
open/close all folders
- In a fairly creepy Hanes ComfortBlend commercial, a man wears live kittens instead of a shirt. See it here.
- Similarly, this ad for cat treats involves a man's two fuzzy cats attaching themselves to his ankles and being mistaken for boots.
Anime & Manga
- Sailor Moon
- In an episode, Usagi uses the Disguise Pen to put herself in fancy clothes for sneaking in a posh reception... and she wears a disgruntled Luna around her neck as a fur stole.
- In the opening sequel for the S movie, Minako tries on several outfits in a retail shop. The last one is a super-revealing dress... and she's wearing a fastidiated Artemis as a stole.
- In a one-page gag from The Smurfs' "Romeo and Smurfette", one of the Smurfs tries to give what Smurfette thinks is a fur stole, only that it turns out to be a hairy caterpillar.
- In one early Bloom County strip, Limekiller's ex-wife has tracked him down to the eponymous backwater, and is commenting on the inhabitants, saying they are.. "Provincial". Her fur coatnote pops to life and snarls "PEASANTS!!"
Films — Animation
Films — Live-Action
- Ghostbusters 2 has a freaky scene where the evil slime terrorizes New York, and one poor lady in a fur coat has it come alive, turning into a pack of pissed-off minks!
- Nanny Ogg takes her cat Greebo to the opera in Maskerade, and wears him around her neck. Someone later comments that her fur stole is eating someone's food in another seat.
- In the Vorkosigan Saga books, there's a live genetically-engineered fur blanket that "feeds" on light, so it doesn't even have a head, and appears nonliving until it's touched. Knowing that it's alive ends up being a plot point.
- In Survivor's Quest the Geroons come aboard the Chaf Envoy wearing furs. When they reveal themselves as the planet-looting Vagaari, they remove stasis devices from the furs, which come to life as vicious animals that the Vagaari promptly sic on the Chiss delegation.
- In Harry Harrison's West of Eden, the Yilanč use a fur-bearing animal as a cloak. One spin-off, set during a particularly bad cold snap, has one lament "We can't breed our cloaks fast enough!"
- In an episode of Dinosaurs, the teenage girl Charlene gets a stole which is a real mink-like creature. The stole is very snooty and starts telling her which friends are not high-class enough to be friends of "theirs". In the end Charlene decides some fashions just aren't worth it.
- Once in Mongrels Nelson spends some time pretending to be a fox stole for some celebrity in order to retrieve his girlfriend's corpse that she had been wearing.
- A number of trainers show such costumes made of ferrets, often with a fox collar. Just search for "ferret coat" on YouTube.
- In Elite Beat Agents, when the Carrington sisters are shipwrecked, one of the things they get the animals to do are wrap around their shoulders to keep them warm.
- Marie Miwa of the Ace Attorney games wears a coat of her pet foxes, who then come loose and help her in some tasks. The silver fox on her neck even acts as an Expressive Accessory.
- In the Phineas and Ferb episode "Run Run Away", Candace imagines herself being a model, and we see a shot of her in Fashion Magazines, including one where she is wearing a white cat around her neck.
- In Catwoman's first appearance in Batman: The Animated Series, she is carrying her cat, Isis, around her neck, to help in one of her thefts.
- In one The Pink Panther cartoon, the Panther, having blow-dried his fur fluffy, crashes a banquet by letting himself be worn as a stole.
- In the Looney Tunes short "The Unbearable Bear", a bear cop presents his wife a live fox (who'd been trying to rob their house) around her neck, in order to cheer her up after he'd woken her up trying to catch the robber. When the fox starts to come to, the cop hits him on the head to knock him out again.
- In The Smurfs episode "Gargamel's Sweetheart", Evelyn the witch wears her pet weasel around her neck like a stole.
- Tiny Toon Adventures:
- In the episode, "Prom-ise Her Anything", Elmyra wore Furrball as a sash as part of her prom outfit.
- In the short, "Fur-Gone Conclusion" from the episode, "Rainy Daze", Babs, as Buffy Vanderbunny, wears a Baby Seal as a sash in order to save him from being skinned alive by Gotcha Grabmore. She even tells her that wearing live animals is the latest fashion.