"I love Broadway World! I'm like such a dork; I wake up, get my cup of coffee, and am like, 'Let's see what's going on on Broadway World!'"Lea Michele
(b. Lea Michele Sarfati; August 29, 1986) is an actress who was born in the Bronx. She started acting at the tender age of eight as Young Cosette in a production of Les Misťrables
, which she admits she tried out for on a whim. She then continued on to play the Little Girl in the original Broadway cast of Ragtime
, Shprintze on Fiddler On The Roof
, and several parts in various musicals, concerts, and plays, reaping in a bunch of awards and accolades while she was at it. She also played Wendla in the musical and the original Broadway run of Spring Awakening
And then she auditioned for the part of the obnoxious, talented diva Rachel Berry on Glee
(with a rendition of "On My Own
" from Les Miserables
. Interviews say, though, that it was in fact platonic life partner
and ''Spring Awakening'' co-star Jonathan Groff
who introduced her to series creator Ryan Murphy, and that the part of Rachel was written with her in mind.) And to say that playing Rachel made her famous is a huge understatement
She's also set to appear in the upcoming film New Year's Eve
and has already lent her voice to the titular character in the upcoming animated film Dorothy Of Oz.
Personality-wise, the media knows her as a cheerful sweetheart
with pipes that have been called a once-in-a-generation voice. Lea is also a vegan and a very strong advocate for gay rights, as well as for PETA and has campaigned very openly against animal cruelty. Follow her on Twitter here
See also: Chris Colfer
, Cory Monteith
, Kevin McHale
, Max Adler
, Darren Criss
and Jonathan Groff
This actress provides examples of:
- Celebrity Resemblance: To Idina Menzel, another Broadway powerhouse. Leads to Separated-at-Birth Casting on Glee when the former plays Rachel's mother.
- Cleopatra Nose
- Curtains Match the Window
- Dawson Casting: In Spring Awakening and Glee. Rachel is supposed to be sixteen. Uh huh.
- Fag Hag: Without any of the unfortunate implications. See below for her own account of her relationship with Jonathan Groff, and then find an interview, any interview, where Chris Colfer is brought up.
- Fangirl: Lea has repeatedly described herself as Chris Colfer's biggest fan. They blatantly adore each other.
- Genki Girl: She has a tendency to slip into this.
- Heterosexual Life Partners: Definitely has shades of this with Dianna Agron.
- I Am Not Spock: She'll always be Rachel to most television-watching people. But of course, theater circles will always remember her for her performance in ''Spring Awakening.'
- Like Parent, Like Spouse: Invoked.
Lea: I know this is going to sound really cheesy, but I have the coolest dad in the entire world. My dad is hilarious. Heís also strong, smart and makes me feel like heís going to take care of everything. I think those are the qualities I look for in a boyfriend. Ē
- Matzo Fever
- Ms. Fanservice: Both in Glee and her magazine photoshoots.
- Platonic Life Partners: With Jonathan Groff, who played Melchior in Spring Awakening and Jesse on Glee.
Lea: I donít go a day without talking to Jonathan. I donít go a day without being in contact with him. Our families are very close, every New Yearís we spend together with our families, we have a tradition with them. Weíve been on trips together. Iíve driven reluctantly to the country, to Jonathanís house. Iíve seen Jonathan in every job heís ever done. Heís been my date to things like the SAG awards and openings. I grew up never having had close friends because I was working all the time. All the girls, growing up, everyone had their best friends. And I never, ever had that. And Jonathan is really and truly my first and only best friend. And I couldnít have picked a better person.
- Separated-at-Birth Casting: Idina Menzel plays her mother on Glee.
- She's Got Legs
- Stage Name
- Teens Are Short: She's 5'2" and is currently playing high-schooler Rachel on Glee.
- Two First Names: Her real name is Lea Michele Sarfati, but she dropped her last name because she was teased about it.
- You Look Familiar: On Les Miserables, she played Young Cosette and returned to play Eponine.