is a Science Fiction web novel
chronicling the events of the Land Games
, a battle royale between the children of nine ruling Houses
. The contestants fight it out using massive robotic armies
in a way rather reminiscent of real time strategy games
. Despite being enemies, most of the players trained together and behave more as friendly rivals than outright enemies. That changes when the sister of Jayle, the contestant of House Jade, assassinates several family members of Seol, the contestant of House Mercury, setting off a heated conflict.
Meanwhile, the indigenous natives
try to survive as their planet is turned into a battlefield. The story focuses more on the relationships between the players than the warfare itself. Described by the author himself as Game of Thrones meets Starcraft
. It can be read here
Now has a Character Sheet
This novel provides examples of:
- Ancient Astronauts: Reckes discovers a spacecraft that is several thousands of years old.
- Anti-Hero: Pretty much everyone, since they've been raised to think nothing of marching in an conquering a whole planet.
- Lost Technology: Farseer discovers that the Woken used to have weapons like those of the human players.
- Alien Sky: Dark green at night, pale yellow during the day.
- Aliens Speaking English: Averted, the Woken speak in their natural language, which Jayle can somewhat understand. They have no trouble understanding spoken english though.
- Arranged Marriage: One between Serge and Jayle, and one between Seol and Brand.
- Astonishingly Appropriate Appearance: Due to genetic engineering.
- Batman Gambit: Reckes uses Mei's feelings to trick her into betraying her allies.
- The Blank: Three
- Butt Monkey: Brand. Everyone considers him pretty much worthless.
- Cult: The Woken in Jayle's territory worship her as a goddess. She has explained to them that she is simply an alien with advanced technology, but they do not think this disqualifies her as a Goddess.
- Color-Coded for Your Convenience: Each of the nine Houses has a specific color associated with it.
- Dead Fic
- Genki Girl: Mei.
- God Emperor: Jayle.
- Deliberate Values Dissonance: The player's society is extremely imperialistic, regularly invading and conquering foreign worlds. Jayle is pretty much the only one who has a problem with this.
- Friendless Background: Kurai.
- Heel-Face Turn: Seol after coming within an inch of defeating Jayle for good.
- Holographic Terminal
- No Ending
- No Transhumanism Allowed: Averted. Everyone is meticulously designed. Three has been altered so much its been legally declared inhuman.
- Ridiculously Human Robots: The Companions.
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: Seol makes it clear this is her plan.
- Rotating Protagonist
- Science Fiction
- Starfish Language: The Woken communicate by vibrating the air with electromagnetic waves, and clicking bits of their shells together.
- The Stoic: Serge, somewhat, but he's pretty awkward.
- The Strategist: Reckes.
- Sufficiently Advanced Alien: The humans to the natives, who only have renaissance era technology.
- Tranquil Fury: Seol.
- The Woman Wearing the Queenly Mask: Jayle.
- Video Game Caring Potential: Rather than play the game to win, Jayle opts to use her resources to create a peaceful utopia for the natives.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: All the contestants are genetically designed to represent their House. Many of them fit this trope.
- Walking the Earth: Brand after Act 2.