Lalaloopsy were once rag dolls that magically came to life when their very last stitch was sewn. Each doll has its own charming personality inspired by the fabric used to make it. Lalaloopsy live in a whimsical world full of silly surprises. With love and a little bit of imagination, you’ll see why Lalaloopsy are sew magical... and sew cute!
Sew not going to see a lot of love from Coraline
A line of button-eyed dolls launched by MGA Entertainment in 2010, Lalaloopsy
quickly grew into one of the biggest toy trends of that year. From the original lineup of eight, the Lalaloopsy brand now carries over 25 original characters.
Not surprisingly, a number of Coraline
fans consider the dolls a source of mild Nightmare Fuel
Several Animated Adaptations
, including new webisodes and a Made-for-TV Movie
, are currently in the works.
Lalaloopsy provides examples of:
- A Dog Named Dog: In the webisodes, the girls refer to their pets by their animal names. Pillow refers to her pet as "Sheep", Crumbs refers to hers as "Mouse", and so on.
- All Girls Like Ponies: Close enough - Spot Splatter Splash has a pet zebra while Lady Stillwaiting has a unicorn. In the Lala-Oopsies spin-off line, there are 2 brand new pony characters, Tea Biscuit and Scone, along with two pegasi, Macadamia and Almond, and two unicorns, Hazelnut and Cashew.
- Animal-Eared Headband: worn by Kat Jungle Roar and Teddy Honey Pots (though the latter's ears are part of a hood rather than a headband)
- Catchphrase: "Perfectly perfect!", by Jewel
- Chromosome Casting: Almost the entire cast is made up of females.
- Cute Witch: Halloween-exclusive Candy Broomsticks.
- Dark-Skinned Blonde: Dot Starlight
- Distressed Damsel: Lady Stillwaiting to Sir Battlescarred
- Early-Bird Cameo: a Lalaloopsy prototype appeared as an accessory in the Moxie Girlz line.
- Easter Bunny: who the Easter-exclusive Cotton Hopalong is themed after.
- Edible Theme Naming: Inevitable, when you release characters "sewn" from food.
- Everything's Better with Princesses: Jewel Sparkles
- Fashionable Asymmetry: An entire Spin-Off line, Lala-Oopsies, was built around this. To a lesser extent, there's also the Halloween exclusive Scraps Stitched 'N' Sewn.
- Forgotten Birthday: A variation in the first webisode, about Jewel attempting to throw herself the perfect birthday party.
- Fun Size
- Genie in a Bottle: Sahara Mirage
- Girls Love Stuffed Animals
- Grease Monkey: Ace Fender Bender. He even has a literal pet monkey.
- Idol Singer: Harmony B. Sharp
- Knight in Shining Armor: Sir Battlescarred to Lady Stillwaiting
- Little Green Men: green-skinned alien girl Haley Galaxy and her pet, erm, smaller alien appear to be a throwback to this trope.
- Living Toys: Naturally, the dolls' backstory.
- Mouse World
- Non-Ironic Clown: Peanut Big Top, in a rare modern example.
- Non-Standard Character Design: Bea Spells-a-Lot has blue button eyes, along with her sister Specs Reads-a-Lot. Everybody else has black eyes but as of late, a handful of new eye colors have shown up. Toffee Cocoa Cuddles has dark chocolate brown eyes, while Mango Tiki Wiki has dark green eyes.
- Pirate: Patch Treasurechest, the first boy Lalaloopsy. He was even sewn on Talk Like A Pirate Day.
- Punny Name
- Rag Doll Physics
- Rose-Haired Girl: Where to begin... Jewel Sparkles and Crumbs Sugar Cookie from the original eight, followed by Blossom Flowerpot, Berry Jars 'n' Jam, Sahara Mirage, Pepper Pots 'n' Pans, Swirly Figure Eight...
- Sleepyhead: Pillow Featherbed
- That One Guy:So far, there are only four male characters: Sir Battlescarred, Patch Treasurechest, Ace Fender Bender, and Forest Evergreen.
- The Sleep Less: Dot Starlight
- Spin-Offspring: Lalaloopsy Littles does this with the original dolls' younger siblings, rather than their offspring.
- Stage Magician: Misty Mysterious
- Superhero: Dyna Might, complete with a raccoon sidekick.
- Winter Royal Lady: Ivory Ice Crystals
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: While normal hair colors have shown up, the normal in Lalaloopsy Land seems to consist of pink or blue. Oddly enough, all of the males have had normal hair colors while it's the girls who show up with the unique ones.