LEGO Friends is a new line of LEGO
playsets aimed at young girls, introduced in January 2012. It has been the subject of controversy over its use of pastel colors and idealized female figures, called mini-doll figures.
The line follows Stephanie
as they live life
in Heartlake City.
Not to be confused with the old obscure PC game that had almost nothing to do with Lego.
This theme has examples of:
- Ambiguously Brown: Andrea and Olivia.
- All Girls Like Ponies: Mia, who is revealed in the webisodes to have a horse named Bella.
- Blonde, Brunettes, Redhead
- Brainy Brunette: Olivia.
- Built with LEGO: Everything! Except humans and animals.
- Cute Clumsy Girl: once again, Olivia.
- Expy: Looks and personality wise, to the Bratz (Stephanie is a ridiculously average girl comparable to Cloe, Olivia is The Heart comparable to Yasmin, Mia is an animal lover and tomboy like Meygan, Andrea is a musician like Sasha and Emma is The Fashionista like Jade.
- Five-Man Band
- Five-Token Band: Stephanie is blonde, Olivia is Hispanic, Mia is Irish, Andrea is Sassy Black Woman and Emma is Asian.
- Follow the Leader: of My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic.
- Friend to All Living Things: Mia.
- Generic Girl: Stephanie.
- Genki Girl: Stephanie, the perkiest and most energetic of the girls by far, as well as a self-described natural leader.
- Girl Next Door: Olivia.
- Granola Girl: Olivia, who's attuned to the environment and enjoys science, hiking, and nature walks.
- Hidden Depths: Stephanie enjoys soccer and ballet, Mia is a pro at drumming and performing magic tricks, and Emma is rather fond of horseback jumping.
- Idol Singer: Andrea, the group's musician.
- I Just Want to Have Friends: Most of the webisodes involved Olivia desperately seeking friends and hoping to fit in.
- Life of the Party: Stephanie.
- Ms. Fixit: Olivia.
- Naïve Newcomer: Olivia, who was introduced as a New Transfer Student when the line was launched.
- Nature Lover: Mia, the tomboyish, athletic animal lover, and Olivia, the intelligent, science-loving environmentalist.
- Passionate Sports Girl: Mia.
- Performance Artist: Andrea is a female example of this, considering that she is a talented singer and young actress with a flair for the dramatic.
- Plucky Girls
- Raven Hair, Ivory Skin: Emma.
- The Rival: With the huge, unexpected success of the Friends line of sets, several of Lego's top rivals – most notably Mega Bloks – introduced their own line of sets targeting girls. Mega Bloks' answer to Friends was Barbie, a collaboration with Mattel to introduce marry the iconic doll line to construction set-style playsets, the idea possibly being that girls wanted to play with girl-type sets and with brands and names that were familiar to them, rather than the (previously unknown) Friends and with sets that had the girls engage in interests other than fashion, fun and boys as the Barbie line had for years. (In fact, the Lego Friends – contrary to initial criticism that they were engaged in girl-only interests – quickly developed interests ranging from music to sports to agriculture to zoology; so far, Mega Bloks' Barbie sets have strictly stuck to doll and fashion sets.)
- Shoddy Knockoff Product: Mega Bloks' Barbie line, when compared to Friends. This, even though its new owner — Mattel — has the marketing power to crush Friends by making the very same claim (i.e., that Friends was the ripoff product).
- Spoiled Sweet: Emma.
- Suburbia: Heartlake City.
- Sugar and Ice Personality: Mia, who initially had a hard time warming up to Olivia due to the mess Scarlett caused.
- Team Chef: Andrea, who works at her family's café.
- Team Pet: Scarlett.
- Teens Are Short: Thanks to the Lego thing, all teens are the exact same height. Adults are One Head Taller but don't appear in the toyline.
- The Beautiful Elite: The girls and their friends.
- The City: It seems like the area the girls live in is a suburb right outside the actual Heartlake City.
- The Cutie: Both Olivia and Emma can fit into this.
- The Fashionista: Emma even comes the a beauty salon and fashion design studio!
- The Power of Friendship
- Tomboy: Mia.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl
- Youthful Freckles: Mia.
- Wrench Wench: Olivia.