Spike lips! Lips of Spike!
Some people appreciate being kissed. But then there's the one who is Allergic to Love
. If this person is kissed by a person that he does not like (or sometimes even a person he does
like), he will react with exaggerated disgust: he'll start spitting, for example, or rush off to wash off his mouth. It also doesn't necessarily have to be a romantic kiss; with an Accidental Kiss
, both characters may have this reaction. The title is a portmanteau of the words "kiss" and "disgusting".
Contrast Post-Kiss Catatonia
. A He-Man Woman Hater
is likely to do this. This is not a bystander being grossed out by two people kissing; that's Sick and Wrong
or Too Much Information
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- In one of the Code Geass sound episodes, Suzaku ends up accidentally kissing Lelouch. Lelouch freaks out (and Rolo screams), but Suzaku actually seems okay with it.
- Naruto and Sasuke have an Accidental Kiss in one of the earlier episodes/chapters and react with disgust.
- And Naruto still reacts with disgust upon remembering it years later. It doesn't help that no one ever lets him live it down.
- A classic example happens in Neon Genesis Evangelion when Asuka makes out with Shinji for a solid minute and then feels grossed out when Shinji forceably pulls away to catch breath.
- In Airmaster Nagato asks Kinjiro to kiss him to make his pain go away and he does. Nagato feels better afterwards, Kinjiro¨ however feels sick.
- Urusei Yatsura: Thanks to a lipstick that draws the lips of the people using it together, Ataru and Handsome Lech Mendou end up in a full-frontal smooch by mistake. Both are promptly disgusted — a dappya fish monster even offers the readers three panels to recover from this shock. The participants of the kiss think they require more.
- Kaname in Full Metal Panic! after Leonard surprises her with a kiss.
- Rito and Ren in To Love-Ru have an Accidental Kiss and react by gagging in disgust.
- Sailor Moon is kissed by Prince Diamond in the manga and she reacts by slapping him.
- In FAKE, Ryo had this reaction when he was kissed by Berkley and immediately punches Berkley. This lack of reaction to being kissed by Dee is one reason he concludes he may actually have a thing for Dee.
Films — Animated
- An accidental example shows up in Quest for Camelot, between the two-headed dragon Devon and Cornwall.
- The Emperor's New Groove: Pacha tries to give Kuzco mouth-to-mouth resuscitation and then Kuzco wakes up. Cut to the next scene with Kuzco gargling to get the germs out and Pacha insisting that it wasn't a kiss.
- In Superman: Doomsday, Lois has to get close to Lex Luthor in order to inject him with a sedative. She uses the obvious method. As soon as he's out, she spits.
- Atlantis: The Lost Empire: The picture of Preston Whitmore and Thaddeus Thatch immediately post-kiss. They're both recoiling in disgust. And it's Whitmore's fault.
I told him "Thatch, if you actually find that so-called journal of yours, not only will I finance the expedition, I'll kiss you full on the mouth
." Imagine my embarrassment when he found the damn thing.
- Both Merlin and Wart do this in The Sword in The Stone when their respective old lady squirrel and young girl squirrel kiss them on the lips for the first time.
Films — Live-Action
- Bachelor Party: after Gary learns that the female escort he was making out with is really a man we see him standing in the shower desparately washing his face, and his crotch. To quote the script:
Gary feels filthy. He rips open the [bathroom] cabinet, takes out tooth paste and toothbrush and vigorously brushes his teeth. He rips off his clothes and jumps in the shower and scrubs as if he's scraping barnacles off a hull of a tugboat.
- Occasionally in The Three Stooges when Curly would kiss Moe, he'd spit and say "I'm poisoned!"
- Beetlejuice introduces himself to Barbara with a big sloppy kiss (then drops her on her butt) - she yells angrily under his lips, then gags and spits afterward (imagine how he must taste!)
- In the 1997 film Kull the Conqueror based on Kull, Witch Queen Akivasha kisses General Taligaro in an attempt to seduce him to her side. As soon as he turns away he wipes his mouth in disgust, all too aware of what she really is.
- Who Framed Roger Rabbit. When Eddie Valiant hides Roger Rabbit from the Toon Patrol, Roger is appropriately grateful.
Jeepers Eddie, that was swell! How can I ever repay ya! (Smooch of Victory)
Eddie: (wiping his mouth) For starters, don't EVER kiss me again!
- Eddie does kiss Roger at the end of the movie however, to show he's begun to lighten up.
- In the Russian novel Dead Souls, protagonist chichikov is "kissed" (well, licked) on the mouth by a dog. Understandably, he spits out after this.
- Lucy does this whenever Snoopy kisses her in Peanuts.
- Happened a few times in Garfield:
- At ECW Barely Legal, Francine had this reaction when she woke up and realized that the masked man who kissed her was not "Ravishing" Rick Rude, but was the less desirable "Bulldozer" Brian Lee.note
- Bubba Ray Dudley once expected to get a kiss from Torrie Wilson during a mixed tag team match on WWE SmackDown!, only to receive one instead from the flamboyant Rico. His reaction upon opening his eyes was priceless.
- In Final Fantasy X, Yuna is forced to marry Seymour Guado. She is visibly discomfited during the entire scene and cringes during the wedding kiss. The moment she breaks free she quickly wipes her mouth with the back of her hand. Kissing Seymour is doubly disgusting for her since a) he's a manipulative murderous jerk and b) he's an Unsent, meaning he's already dead.