Kate Elizabeth Winslet, CBE
is a British actress, born October 5, 1975, best known for playing English Rose
types and being snubbed
at the Oscars
(until 2008). She first appeared in Heavenly Creatures
(directed by Peter Jackson
), went on to star in the 1995 version of Sense And Sensibility
, Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind
, Little Children
, and The Reader
. She won her Oscar for her role in The Reader
and an Emmy for playing Mildred Pierce
She was married to director Sam Mendes
- English Rose: As stated above, she plays these a lot.
- Ms. Fanservice: Respectable as she may be, one can expect Ms. Winslet to disrobe for a role more often than not.
- This gave her not only a mention but all but made her the main target in Seth Macfarlane's controversial Oscars 2013 song "We Saw Your Boobs".
- Old Shame: Despite its enormous success, she does not look back on her Titanic experience fondly, noting how difficult working with James Cameron was.
- When she watched the movie for the first time in 15 years at the premiere of the 3D re-release, Kate thought her performance and accent were cringe-worthy and that it was like watching an old home video of herself.
- Platonic Life Partners: With her Titanic co-star Leonardo DiCaprio. They said of their performance together in Revolutionary Road that they found it awkward to kiss each other. Her kids even know him as "Uncle Leo".
- What Could Have Been: She was the producers' first choice for the role of River Song.
Roles Of Note: