"Playing card games is just like making love. You usually do it on a table, and you always feel deep shame when it's finished. Also, the older you get, the less fun it is. So remember, always wear a condom when playing card games."Describing a topic is very much like the physical act of love... A character compares an activity, no matter how unrelated or mundane, to sex. They're likely to go into great detail (often giving a description that has no resemblance to sex whatsoever, or is only about sex and not the other activity). If a character does this all the time, it can overlap with Talks Like a Simile. Looks like Freud really WAS right. Compare: Better Than Sex.
— Grandpa, Yu-Gi-Oh! The Abridged Series
open/close all folders
- One issue of Agent X had a man loudly describing his meal to his disgusted date as the trope. Alex beats the crap out of him at the spot claiming food is not sex.
- In the Hong Kong film Temptation of a Monk, the old monk has his head shaved by the protagonist. He does it so much more smoothly than the other monks, the old monk describes it as "just like what men and women do together."
- In the Movie Drumline:
Shaun: Playing the drums... it's like making love. You can't keep looking down and seeing what's going on down there.
- In Lord of War:
Yuri Orlov: The first time you sell a gun is a lot like the first time you have sex: you have absolutely no idea what you're doing, but it is exciting, and one way or another, it's over way too fast.
- In The Cherokee Kid, the titular character, having never ridden a horse before, is naturally having trouble mounting a horse. When the leader of his gang tells him that mounting a horse is like making love to a woman, the Kid tries to hide the fact that he doesn't know anything about that either. A female member of the gang takes his hand and drags him into a nearby cave. Several minutes later, the Kid comes out and immediately mounts the horse with no problem.
- Monty Python Live at the Hollywood Bowl presents this exchange during the Bruces sketch:
Bruce#1 (Eric Idle): We find your American beer a little like making love in a canoe.Bruce#2 (Neil Innes): Making love in a canoe?Bruce#1 (Eric Idle): It's fucking close to water.
- Pumping Iron: One of the most well-known bits in the movie is when Arnold Schwarzenegger compares "the pump", an inflation and tightening of the muscles brought about by blood pumping into them during exercise, to cumming during sex.
- How is a rainy day like making love to a woman? When it gets wet, you go inside.
- In Guards! Guards!, a joke similar to the Monty Python joke in Film is told: Vimes calls particularly weak coffee "love-in-a-canoe" coffee. The punchline is omitted.
- In the Hurog duology, Ward describes being near Oreg while the mage performs magic as very intimate, "almost erotic" experience, like a hand touching him intimately.
- Blackadder Goes Forth:
Lord Flasheart: The first thing to remember is: always treat your kite [taps picture of airplane] like you treat your woman!Lieutenant George: How, how do you mean, Sir? Do you mean, do you mean take her home at weekends to meet your mother?Lord Flasheart: No, I mean get inside her five times a day and take her to heaven and back!
- A Running Gag on The Fast Show with Swiss Toni:
Swiss Toni: Going to the brink of death and back, in a nine car pile-up on a dual carriage-way, is very much like making love to a beautiful woman. First of all, brace yourself, hold on tight - particularly if it's a rear-ender. Pray you make contact with her twin airbags as soon as possible.
Swiss Toni: Answering the phone, Paul, is very much like making love to a beautiful woman. You...pick up...the receiver...speak loudly and clearly...oh, and always state your name...(To himself) You're losing it Toni...
- Though when he had a nervous breakdown he descended into Metaphorgotten:
- Steve Martin - "Hosting the Oscars is much like making love to a woman. It's something I only get to do when Billy Crystal is out of town."
- Bill Maher on the Iraq War.
Bill Maher: Our intention was good; to penetrate Iraq and bring it to a glorious euphoric climax. But it's clear now, that's not going to happen... and yet, we're still pounding away, causing the whole area to become painfully inflamed... and in that situation the kindest thing you can do is just pull out.
- George Carlin had used similar metaphors to describe Vietnam and the Gulf War.
- On Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Willow of all people gets one when they first go to college.
Willow...the energy, the collective intelligence, it's like this force, this penetrating force, and I can just feel my mind opening up, you know? And letting this place just thrust into and, and spurt knowledge into ... that sentence ended up in a different place than it started out in.
- On Leverage, Sophie, while trying to sell a car, asks a customer if he knows how driving it is like making love to a beautiful woman.
Customer: Because I've never done either before in my life?
- This is how Eric describes hacking on NCIS: Los Angeles, prompting Hetty to suggest that they need to have a long conversation.
- The 1991 Bingoboys' hit "How to Dance" has a line that goes "Show you how to dance/it's like sex/start out dry/end up all wet."
- Used in an early FoxTrot strip, with Roger getting glared at by his wife after trying to lecture his son... on the fine art of lighting a fire.
- In another strip, Roger is talking to Andy about how he remembers how they used to do it two times a day, and now they barely do it at all anymore. He was referring, of course, to playing chess.
- SLA Industries has a rather bizarre, psychotic example in how one Contract Killer (Think the Hunters from The Running Man) describes his job of killing people for money:
Glenn "Carnage" Berry: "It's like sex. The first few times are the biggest thrill in the world, then you stop for some reason and you miss it a hundred times worse than when you never did it. Then you start doing it regularly, and it becomes and part of your everyday life... I mean, you look forward to it, and it's good, but it's not the same as when you first started. Then you find you are doing it less and less until one day it's really good because you did something different. Then for a few years you look for the different thing. Then you look at yourself one day and you're wearing a strange costume and a weird mask and chains and things..."
- The Secret of Monkey Island: "Swordfighting is kinda like making love. It's not what you do but what you say what's important."
- Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag parodies Monkey Island in a discussion between some guards on the left side of Laurens Prins's mansion, during the mission where you have to infiltrate this mansion.
"The way I see it, sword fighting is a little like making love. It's not always what you do, but what you say""A pity for you then, you're the most inarticulate bugger I've ever met""Oy, man. That ain't... that ain't... nice."
- Mark of the Ninja: Ora tells you, "The beginning of a kill is like embracing a lover. The end, of course, is not."
- Used in one SMBC page, about trees. Let's just say someone had to clean bark out of his teeth.
- Used earlier in SMBC relating to a deep fried chimpanzee!
- Used a few times in Futurama.
Bender: "Come on, it's just like making love. Y'know: Left, down, rotate 62 degrees, engage rotor."
- Parodied in "The Series Has Landed", when Amy is trying to retrieve the keys to a spaceship from a claw arcade game.
Amy: I know how to make love!
- After Fry first tries a delicious Poppler, he declares "It's like sex, except I'm having it!"
- In a deleted scene to Into the Wild Green Yonder, Zapp states that for him, making an arrest is like making love. "It may or may not hold up, and it's often challenged in court."
- From American Dad!:
Jack: Now son, breaking in to a safe is like making love to a woman.Stan: So, we should just pound on it for like two minutes?Jack: No... you need to gently work the dials till she surrenders...
Sweeper: It's the same basic shape!
- A second example happens with a guy sweeping a broom outside an abandoned theater. He says sweeping's his passion, and equates it to making love. The Smiths drive away when he offers to show how a broom's like a phallus.
- And again with Stan after he buys Steve a gun for Christmas:
Stan, simultaneously demonstrating with a rifle: Steve, shooting a gun is like being intimate with a woman. First, you inspect it to make sure it's clean. Then, you grab it on the butt and jam the magazine in. If it doesn't fit, make it.That's ridiculous. Stan does not say that after buying Steve a gun for Christmas. He says it after buying Steve a gun for Wednesday.
- South Park:
Chef: Children, playing football is like making love to a really beautiful woman. You can't always score, but when you can, it makes all the trying worthwhile.
- Inverted in The Simpsons, when Homer actually is trying to give Bart advice about a girl.
Homer: Son, a woman is like a beer. They smell good, they look good, you'd step over your own mother just to get one! But you can't stop at one. You wanna drink another woman!
- Ben 10: Ultimate Alien provides this example:
Kevin: Look, Gwen, you have to treat a car like you treat a woman!Gwen: [Fascinating Eyebrow] Go on.Kevin: [Beat] No. I sense I've made a mistake of some kind.