aka: Just Desserts
A villain ultimately finds their evil deeds come back to bite them in the ass
- they end up getting eaten.
This does NOT include a Heroic Sacrifice
. But may be subverted with a minor character being killed and eaten in obvious foreshadowing
of what is going to happen to one of the bads at some point. While Mooks
may be recipients of the Just Deserts, a true Just Desert is reserved for those higher up the ladder. If the beast doing the eating was unleashed by the guy who gets eaten, he's been Hoist by His Own Petard
, making him a Self-Disposing Villain
(The reason it's spelled with one 'S', by the way, is that it's an archaic word for "deserved". The More You Know
Compare The Dog Bites Back
, Devour the Dragon
, Laser-Guided Karma
. Also see Exit, Pursued by a Bear
where this trope is frequently implied.
WARNING: This is a Death Trope. Here Be Spoilers
open/close all folders
- Digimon Adventure has chief minion Demidevimon get devoured by his master Venom Myotismon after he decides coming back from the dead has made him hungry.
- The Immortals of Baccano! can consume eachother and gain eachothers experience by laying their hand on the other immortals forehead. This is how Firo defeats Szilard.
- In Digimon Xros Wars, Chuuchuumon, a rat puppet Digimon, grew large after seeing Taiki, Mervamon, Wisemon, and Knightmon who are coming to rescue Yuu. Taiki summon Bastemon, a cat-like Digimon, who then gains a Slasher Smile after seeing the mouse. This is a rare case where the one who devours is very, very small compared to the "dessert".
- Puella Magi Madoka Magica has a rare heroic example in Mami Tomoe, who only counts as this because she was uncharacteristically reckless in combat against a Witch.
- In Kara no Kyoukai, Cornelius Alba gets eaten alive by one of Touko's creations.
- This happens to Aki's Evil Mentor Divine in Yu-Gi-Oh! 5Ds. His sadistic career comes to an end when Earthbound God Ccarayhua swallowed him. (Word of God says that he recovered along with the rest of the Earthbound Gods' victim's later, but he was also arrested by Sector Security.)
Films — Animated
- Shrek: Lord Farquaad gets eaten by a dragon.
- Also stated to be what the ogres intend for Rumpelstiltskin in Shrek Forever After just before the Reset Button is hit, though it never actually happens.
- A Bug's Life: Hopper is eaten by a bird.
- Scar survives his Disney Villain Death in The Lion King, only to find himself cornered by the hyenas he just threw under the bus.
- Ice Age 4: Continental Drift: Captain Gutt is eaten by monstrous lungfish that act as Enthralling Sirens.
- His fate is actually unknown. He could be dead. But given his slapstick screams of "ow ow ow ow", in combination with slapstick sound effects, such as "boing", leads some to speculate he wasn't killed from whatever happened inside the clam. So, his fate is left to the audience.
- The Thief and the Cobbler: Zigzag is eaten by alligators and his own pet vulture, Fido.
- Chester V gets gobbled up by a cheespider in Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2.
- Big Boss is gulped down by a boa constrictor in Rio 2.
Films — Live-Action
- Jurassic Park where sysadmin Dennis Nedry sets off the chain of events that releases the animals, and then is eaten by one.
- Resident Evil. The male security operative who released the T-virus inside the facility is killed and partially eaten by the Licker monster.
- Subverted in Beetlejuice. The title character is swallowed by a Sand Worm near the end of the movie, but turns up later in the afterlife office none the worse for wear.
- Cast a Deadly Spell. The Big Bad who summons Cthulhu is grabbed and eaten by him.
- Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. Mola Ram is eaten by crocodiles.
- Return of the Jedi. Boba Fett (who captured Han Solo in The Empire Strikes Back) is swallowed by the Sarlacc, where (according to Jabba the Hutt) he will find a new definition of pain and suffering as he's slowly digested over 1,000 years. But he's Boba Fett so he's too cool to die.
- Men In Black. Spousal abuser Edgar is skinned and eaten by the Bug.
- Men In Black II: Serleena eats a mugger.
- This appears to be the case at the end, when Serleena is eaten by Jeff, only for her to kill him from inside and morph his body.
- In The City of Ember, Mayor Cole gets eaten by a giant star-nosed mole.
- In Romancing the Stone Zolo's hand is bitten off by a crocodile, and then he drops into a pit of them.
- During the climax of The Cabin in the Woods, the System Purge releases all of the monsters that proceed to slaughter the Organization members. During the rampage, an Organization member is tossed into the air and devoured by a giant cobra. And Steve Hadley, one of the film's Those Two Bad Guys, is killed and partially eaten by the merman, the very monster he wanted to see in action.
- Koobus in District 9 is ripped apart and eaten by a gang of aliens near the end of the film.
- In Pitch Black, mercenary Johns let a man die an agonizing death by stealing all the morphine for himself and was ready to murder Jack to distract the bioraptors. Riddick ultimately leaves him alone in the dark and Johns is killed and eaten by the monsters.
- In Kick-Ass 2, the main villain has a shark tank as part of his personal supervillain lair. However, the shark does nothing but lay at the bottom of the pool, causing people to think it's dead.... until he falls into it at the end of the climactic battle.
- Short story "Thus I Refute Beelzy". A mentally abusive father is eaten by the title character, his son's not-so-imaginary friend.
- Famously done in the Silence Of The Lambs books. If they are a Bad, it is a good bet that Hannibal Lecter will eat them.
- Or, in Hannibal, he (in this case, Mason) gets eaten by the wild boars that he thought would eat Hannibal.
- In Sideways Stories from Wayside School, Mrs. Gorf is tricked into turning herself into an apple. Louis finds the apple and eats it.
- This happens to Mrs. Gorf again in a later book. She materializes in a plate of potato salad, and John and Joe quickly eat her before she can turn them into apples.
- In the story of Daniel from The Bible, after having to consign Daniel to a lion's den because of a law that some princes had tricked him into passing because they were jealous of him, King Darius, overjoyed that (as he himself had predicted) the Lord protected Daniel for the night by sending one of his angels to shut the lions' mouths so they could not hurt him, has Daniel taken out of the lions' den. The princes responsible for the law (and their families, in a bit of Disproportionate Retribution) are thrown in instead, where they promptly get eaten by the lions.
- Happens in H.P. Lovecraft's Short Story "The Cats of Ulthar" to an old couple that killed cats for fun.
- In Kitty and the Silver Bullet Carl, the abusive leader of the Denver werewolves, is torn apart by his own pack.
- Captain Hook's hand in Peter Pan had been lost in a duel with Pan and eaten by a giant crocodile (named Tick-Tock in Disney and later adaptations) which becomes his Animal Nemesis as a result. At the climax, the croc returns to finish the meal.
- James Bond novel Live and Let Die has the Big Bad get eaten by sharks and barracudas.
- In The Last Battle, Shift gets thrown in the stable of his Scam Religion by King Tiriam and gets eaten by Tash.
- Subverted - seeing as he survived - with Zorba the Hutt, Jabba's father who appeared in a few Expanded Universe sources. He sought revenge on Han and Leia for his son's death, but his plan to deal Leia a Karmic Death by throwing her to the sarlacc ended with him humiliated, not only with him being thrown into it by the Trioculus (a would be successor to Palpatine with a weird crush on Leia - long story) the beast vomited him out, clearly getting sick trying to eat him. (This was the first of many embarrassments for Zorba, who was clearly a sorry excuse for a Hutt.)
- In Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, the Oompa-Loompas claim that this will be the gluttonous Augustus Gloop's fate, as the pipe he's stuck in leads to a room where fudge is prepared. In a subversion, he's rescued before that can happen...in most versions. It's strongly implied that he does become a tasty treat in the 2013 stage musical!
Live Action TV
- In the Buffy the Vampire Slayer episode "The Pack", Xander and four gang members are taken over by a hyena spirit. As part of their rampage they kill and eat the school mascot pig, and then - when called into the principal's office for questioning - Principal Flutie. At the end of the episode, the zoo warden who caused the whole thing (he wanted the hyena spirit for himself) gets tossed into a hyena holding pit where he gets eaten.
- In V: The Final Battle, Daniel Bernstein is framed for the kidnapping of the Visitor Brian. Daniel is then captured, tortured, and taken away to be served to the aliens
- The tennis-playing giant alien blancmange in Monty Python's Flying Circus gets eaten by Mr. and Mrs. Brainsample. On the planet they're from, they're used to blancmanges being that size.
- The opera Hansel and Gretel adds a new element to the familiar tale by the Brothers Grimm: The witch owns a magical oven which bakes children into gingerbread. Of course, the witch gets pushed into it, and a very large piece of gingerbread is brought out at the finale.
- The fate of Captain Hook in the original Peter Pan. Adaptations often spare him, though.
- Chiron and Demetrius get butchered and baked into a pie for raping and mutilating Lavinia in Titus Andronicus.
- In Overlord 2, the villain's dragon, Marius, is praising his boss after a One-Winged Angel turns him into an all-devouring Eldritch Abomination, his praise is interrupted by the devourer eating him.
- In Super Mario RPG, after the Bundt cake is beaten down to its last Raspberry layer, it gets swallowed by Booster in one gulp. Of course, it was supposed to be just a dessert in the first place, but instead it came alive and started attacking.
- This happens a lot in both Prototype and Prototype 2, most notably to Alex Mercer in the sequel. Suffice to say, in both games only six bad guys escaped this fate: Dr. McMullen by suicide, Supreme Hunter by decapitation, three scientists by helicopter crash and Col. Rooks by being more pragmatical than evil and thus surviving.
- In Drakensang 2: The River of Time, the corrupted commander Stitus Bloomfold (who often fed his prisoners to wild animals of sorts) tries to feed the party to his pet Newt Kraken, but when the monster is defeated and starts waving his tentacles in pain, he loses balance and fall in the kraken's open maws.
- Victor and Moritz in Crash Twinsanity manage to escape their Final Boss fight unscathed and attempt to hide away in a hut. They quickly discover that it's Evil Crash's hut and the monstrous bandicoot's hungry.
- A possible way to kill targets in a few levels of Hitman.
- Blood Money has two. The "Till Death Do Us Part" level allows any bodies (alive or dead) that are pushed into the swamp to be eaten by alligators. One of the targets in that level is even a Fat Bastard who likes to feed chum to the reptiles... The other level is "A Dance With the Devil", set in a Las Vegas nightclub with a massive shark tank in the Hell-themed basement area. People can be pushed in to the water from the feeding area, but rigging the pyrotechnics show will fry one of your targets and cause her to jump into the water, where the sharks eat her.
- In Absolution, this can be done in the "Death Factory" level where a pig-hating scientist can be dropped into a pit full of them. However, unlike Blood Money, where the bodies are actually eaten (and can make the sharks quite fat), looking down into said pit will reveal the body lying above where the pigs are milling about as crunching and eating noises are heard, so its best to just listen and leave it to your imagination.
- In The Order of the Stick, this is the ultimate fate of Tsukiko. By her own wights, no less.
- In The Adventures of Dr. McNinja, the Lumberjack's companion is defeated, only to be turned into Blue Steaks.
- In User Friendly, the Crud Puppy gets knocked into the coffee grinder, and is drunk by Pitr. Unfortunately, its hands survive inside his chest, and the surgeons who operate on him aren't too careful.
- Alexia's final fate in The Return, devoured by Darkstar.
- Dr. Ashida in Jonny Quest is eaten by his own Ashida dragons.
- In "Treasure of the Temple" the archeological thief Perkins and his men are eaten by crocodiles.
- Happens to Big Bad Phobos near the end of season 2 of W.I.T.C.H. when he's betrayed by Cedric. However after Cedric's defeat we see that he did manage to survive.
- In the Teen Titans episode "Transformation", an alien predator called a Cironeilian Chrysalis Eater lures Starfire to a secluded grove so it can devour her once her cocoon (part of the Transformation process she is undergoing) is complete, cruelly mocking her as it happens. When the other Titans intervene, Starfire completes the process and emerges, then blasts the creature outside the grove, where it becomes prey to a Man-Eating Plant she encounter earlier.