Oh, look, it's a trope.
I hate tropes
, with just about any noun or adjective in place of X.
One of the most common variants of this is, "You Got Guts
, kid. (beat)
I hate guts," or something to that effect. Another is, "You remind me of my (relative). I hate my (relative)".
NOTE: It's this trope only if a character points out X, then after a short pause
, he says, "I hate X." If one character points out X and another person
says he hates it, it is not this trope.
Commonly used by the resident Deadpan Snarker
. Often follows "You Got Spunk
." May be combined with Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?
- Most characters in Peanuts react this way to any food that contains coconut.
- Team Four Star plays with this trope:
Vegeta: You cut through my armor! This was a gift from my father!
Yajirobe: Oh I'm sorry; I'm sure your father was a great man.
Vegeta: I hated my father!
Yajirobe: Oh, well then I'm sure your father was a total prick.
Vegeta: HOW DARE YOU TALK ABOUT MY FATHER LIKE THAT?!?
- This is Grouchy Smurf's Catch Phrase.
- Quest. From World Of Quest.
- In Transformers Cybertron, during his first attack attempt on Primus, Starscream says after being nailed a couple time, "Interesting. Very interesting. This might be half a challenge. And I hate a challenge." He still ends up getting his aft trounced, because twenty stories tall and power-boosted though Screamer may be, Primus is both literally and in terms of power way, way, WAY out of his weight class.
- Transformers Animated:
Megatron: You have persistence, Autobot! I hate persistence."
- The old lady in the chocolate episode of Spongebob Squarepants.
- Batman: The Animated Series: In "The Laughing Fish", Harley Quinn complains at one point, "Again with the fish, I hate fish!"
- One rhino in Babar rips off the line from The Mary Tyler Moore Show above so often that it's his Catch Phrase.
- The Real Ghostbusters
Peter: Hey, Boogaloo! You're ugly and your mother dresses you funny!
Boogaloo: That's cute. I hate cute.