Two unrelated young girls who happen to look identical suddenly meet. Amanda Lemmon (Mary-Kate Olsen) is an orphan, and she is about to be adopted by a family whom she doesn't like, the Butkises. She actually wants her child-loving case worker Diane Barrows (Kirstie Alley) to adopt her instead. Diane would like to do the same thing, but authorities will not let her because of her low salary. Alyssa Callaway (Ashley Olsen) is coming home from her boarding school's piano recital competition, only to find that her wealthy father Roger (Steve Guttenberg) is about to marry Clarice Kensington (Jane Sibbett) a socialite who (secretly) hates kids
and baseball (which Roger adores).
The girls switch places and find out that Diane and Roger would fit together perfectly. So they arrange "chance" meetings with the desired result: they fall in love with each other. After some turbulences, Alyssa (who poses as Amanda) ends up being adopted by the Butkises. She and Diane (while looking for Alyssa) find out the only reason they have adopted many kids was for them to work in their salvage yard.
When Clarice secretly spies on Roger and Diane, she decides to move up the wedding from the next month to the next day. After Amanda, who poses as Alyssa, proves to the family butler Vincenzo (Philip Bosco) who she really is at the church, he summons to have the real Alyssa picked up from the Butkises' salvage yard to stall the wedding. Once she and Diane end up at the church, Roger stops the wedding and tells Clarice that he fell in love with Diane. Furious, she slaps him and prepares to do the same to both Amanda and Alyssa but is stopped by both Vincenzo and Diane. She storms out of the church, embarrassed. Alyssa embarrasses Clarice even more by stepping on her dress, revealing the back of her underpants in front of everybody, including people with cameras. Roger and Diane both find out in the end that it was Amanda and Alyssa that arranged all the meetings between the two of them the entire time.
This film contains examples of:
- All Girls Like Ponies: Alyssa.
- Altar the Speed: Clarice attempts this after noticing the growing bond between Roger and Diane.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Clarice.
- Big Damn Heroes: The people from the Calloway estate who show up in a helicopter to rescue Alyssa, who had been posing as Amanda, from the Butkises' salvage yard.
- Blondes are Evil: Clarice again.
- Chekhov's Skill: Alyssa's talent at miming passing out first gets used when she finds out that Clarice and Roger are getting married. It gets used again during a game of Charades.
- Department of Child Disservices: Diane's employers don't let her adopt Amanda because she doesn't make enough money, yet are perfectly willing to foist Amanda on the Butkises - a family that turns out to have been adopting kids by the half dozen to force them to work in their junkyard. The fact that a neighbor brings this last point up in casual conversation makes it even worse - the Butkises aren't even keeping it a secret.
- Family Theme Naming: The adopted Butkises all have B names.
- Fainting: Alyssa's (fake) reaction when her father reveals that he intends to marry Clarice.
- Full House Music: When Diane talks Amanda into going to summer camp.
- Gold Digger: Take a wild guess...
- Hero Stole My Bike: In the climax, Diane and Alyssa steal a man's horse-drawn buggy in order to get to the chapel in time to stop the wedding.
- Identical Stranger: Alyssa and Amanda.
- Mama Bear: Diane, particularly near the end of the film.
- Match Cut: When Amanda gets settled in at camp, she places her hat on her bed. The scene cuts to Alyssa doing the same in her room.
- Naked Freak-Out: Happens to Clarice after Alyssa steps on her wedding dress, ripping off the entire skirt.
- Off to Boarding School: Clarice plans to send Alyssa to a boarding school in Tibet.
- Overcrank: To avoid being discovered, Alyssa trips Frankie, causing him to cover Diane in macaroni and cheese. It triggers a massive Food Fight.
- Papa Wolf: Vincenzo, like Diane, gets a moment of this near the end of the film.
- Self-Made Man: Roger Calloway. He made his money "the old-fashioned way - pure dumb luck"
- Servile Snarker: Vincenzo.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: The film almost gleefully beats you over the head with just how much Amanda and Alyssa are this, respectively. Amanda's tomboyishness is even stated to be a main reason she's having trouble getting adopted.
- Uptown Girl: Diane believed rich guys like Roger would never marry people like her.
- What Does He See In Her: Clarice is a Child Hater Sports hater bitch. Yet Roger is marrying her.
- Wicked Stepmother: Clarice is aiming to become one to Alyssa.
- Would Hurt a Child: When Clarice realizes she's lost, she is only too ready to hit the girls. Only timely interference from Vincenzo and Diane keep her from doing so.