The inverse of Instrument of Murder
and Musical Assassin
, Instrumental Weapon is where someone uses his or her weapon as if it were a musical instrument.
Compare Air Guitar
. If you pack
your weapon as if it were an instrument, that's Senseless Violins
. If your weapon IS an instrument, you're an Improbable Weapon User
of Everything Is an Instrument
Film - Animation
- Kyoryu Sentai Zyuranger/Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers: The Green Ranger calls his Dragonzord using his sword as a flute.
- One episode had a monster was defeated by Tommy playing his dagger and Kim playing on her bow (with extra strings to turn it into a makeshift harp.)
- Vocaloid: Kamui Gakupo and his katana, which makes music when it is swung.
- The 1812 Overture uses cannons.
- World of Warcraft has the rare (and no longer available) Arcanite Ripper item which is an axe in both senses of the word. The handle is a spinal column attached to the skull in the middle of the blade, and has a use ability that turns you into a member of the Elite Tauren Chieftains, where you play a short solo.
- The Pyro from Team Fortress 2 taunts with its melee weapon by strumming it as if it were a guitar while making guitar-esque sounds. If the Medic has a melee weapon that isn't the Ubersaw or Solemn Vow, he will play the weapon as if it were a violin. A Medic with a Vita-Saw will play a slightly different sound when he taunts, while a Pyro with a Third Degree or Neon Annihilator will play a shredding guitar riff and bass guitar riff (while making guitar sounds), respectively.
- In Lego Star Wars 2, when infiltrating Jabba's palace, you can build several stereos throughout the level that blast the Imperial March theme, to which the Gammorean guards will drop their fighting and rock out, playing their battle axes like guitars.
- There's at least one Guitar Hero game where you can unlock Frostmourne and use it as a guitar.
- The bard epic weapon in Everquest was a sword that "sang". The graphic literally had notes coming out of it.
- There's a glitch in The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time that allows Link to play his sword as an ocarina. This can be applied to any item used while back-flipping after dropping and recapturing a fish.
- Wile E. Coyote of Looney Tunes fame once played a bow and arrow like a harp while trying to figure out why it wouldn't fire. Of course, the plucking eventually did cause it fire at the worst possible moment.
- In Adventure Time, Marceline plays an Axe-Bass, which is both a war axe (originally) and a bass guitar.
- In "Californy'er Bust", a old Western Animation/Goofy cartoon, some Indians start playing their bows like string instruments when they notice the sounds they make when firing.
- Bows were used this way quite often; in fact, there is an entire class of instruments called 'Musical Bows', mostly found in Africa, which come from this.
- Walk Off The Earth: One of the earlier videos uses a cocked handgun as a beat in the drum loop.
- The MIDI standard, among other "sound effects" has a "Gunshot" instrument, and it can be used to play melodies like any other.