Sword Chucks, yo!
Nunchucks are fun!
love them, and they are one of the most famous martial arts weapons around (next to the katana
). The best thing about them is the fact that they are so easy to make! All you have to do, is take two random items, and connect them with a rope or a chain, and there you go! Instant Chucks
Forget practicality, this one runs on pure Rule Of Cool
. Being such an easy weapon to make, a Combat Pragmatist
can make some while locked in battle. Probably the most popular way to make the chucks for a hero is to break the shackles he was bound with
, or use the ball and chain he was attached to. If he is fighting multiple enemies, Asskicking ensues, if not, they will be discarded very quickly.
of Double Weapon
and Mix-and-Match Weapon
open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- In One Piece during the thriller Bark Arc, resident builder and strongman Franky makes Pillar chucks.
- Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha has Bardiche and his Riot Zamber form, which is a pair of energy sabers connected by an energy cable. In other words, Laser Sword chucks
- In Yaiba, during the fight between Giant Yaiba and Goemon inside the Onimaru Fortress, the latter used a whole train as a nunchak/sansetsukon againts Yaiba, and it's quite effective.
- Shuuhei Hisagi's Zanpakuto from Bleach releases into what seems to be two double-bladed scythes that are chained together in this fashion.
- In the second live action Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie, Michaelangelo uses a pair of salamis joined by a string as a pair of readymade nunchucks.
- In Kung Pow!, The Chosen One gained the help of two gophers and made Gopher-chucks in the middle of a fight.
- Rob Schneider has one of his characters do this in a movie set in a prison with two bars of soap, and we are even shown him working on them with a prison shiv so he can affix the rope to attach them.
- One of the titular 3 Ninjas makes a set by grabbing a piece of conduit pipe and bending it in half, with the wires inside keeping the two pieces together.
Live Action TV
- MST3K had Joel & the 'Bots come up with several "'chucks" during a break while watching Master Ninja. They included "up-chucks (plastic vomit)," "nun-chucks (nun's habits)," and "Chuck Woolerys (covered in wool)."
- The sketch-comedy Almost Live did a series of Kung-Fu parodies in which the combatants sometimes construct nunchucks out of harmless everyday objects.
- Jimney Kimmel has Osma Bin Laden use knife-chucks to fight a gun-chuck wielding Fifty Cent.
- Bayonetta used gun-chucks.
- In Last Ninja 2, the ninja can make nunchucks from... two toilet pulls found on the first level. (At least, that's what it looks like, since he finds them in toilets.)
- Futurama - In one episode A giant Zoidberg attempted to use a train as nunchucks against a giant Bender. It didn't last.
- In another episode, Fry attempt to use a giant nutcracker this way, but ends up hitting his own nose instead.
- In The Super Mario Bros. Super Show, episode "Mario Meets Koop-zilla", a super-sized Mario picks up a train and wields it like nunchucks or a sectioned staff to fight an equally super-sized King Koopa.
- In another episode, after learning Plumb Fu, Luigi wields pipe-chucks.
- One plot arc in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles has the turtles imprisoned by Triceratons in a gladiator training compound. When they're forced to rely on improvised weapons during an attempted prison break, Mikey uses a set of nunchuks made from toilet brushes.