He's the man. The villain has been vanquished, the innocent protected, the world saved yet again, often at the very last moment. If it had been anyone else, it's the Big Damn Heroes
moment. Only someone forgot to tell the Big Damn Hero.
Inspector Oblivious isn't aware he vanquished evil, protected the innocent or saved the world because he's in one of his own
. He's doing his own thing not recognizing the screaming coming from the cat-stroking
archvillain who waves one fist angrily at the monitor as yet another plan is foiled and yet more minions are carted off to jail (or the morgue). It wouldn't be so bad if it was intentional, if he was facing an adversary worthy of their battle, but the hero is a complete doofus
who's proud because he thinks he foiled a scheme to illegally sell fake Girl Scout cookies
, ignoring the orbital Death Ray satellite
plunging into the villain's volcano headquarters that resulted from Inspector Oblivious
's pratfalls, mistakes and cluelessness. And he does it again and again.
Some days an Evil Overlord
just can't catch a break.
Often a Spanner in the Works
. A subtrope of Invincible Incompetent
, The Fool
, and Clueless Detective
. See also Accidental Hero
, Mistaken for Badass
Anime and Manga
- Deadpool: P.I. Wade is trying to solve a murder, and he's so oblivious that he forgot HE was the one who killed the guy in the first place.
- The original inspiration (and voice!) for Inspector Gadget, Maxwell Smart.
- Sergeant Frank Drebin, Detective Lieutenant Police Squad!. Yet another.
- PC Wodehouse's Ashe is an author trapped in a contract to write serials about the Detective Gridley Quayle, whom he describes as "so maddeningly blind to the fact that only the most amazing luck enabled him to detect anything." Just like Ashe.
- Inspector Gadget, whom we honour for unintentionally saving the day.
- Phineas and Ferb: If you consider Candice as 'evil' for trying to get them into trouble, Dr. Doofenschmirtz falls into this trope. He has only occasionally come into close contact with the boys, but his inventions inevitably get them out of trouble.