open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- In Detective Conan, minor characters will only find evidence if it's there to throw them off track.
- In Edgar Allan Poe's The Purloined Letter, Detective C. Auguste Dupin finds the titular item because he's the only person clever enough to try to think like the thief does.
- Harry Dresden. But then, there's a very good reason he finds most of it, all things considered.
- As the series goes on, it's more likely for clues to be found by other people (such as CPD, who gradually become more adept at dealing with the supernatural) — but those people don't know what the physical evidence means, so they bring it to him for interpretation.
- Almost any Amateur Sleuth or Little Old Lady Investigates. If they weren't finding the evidence, the story would be about the person who was.
Live Action TV
- Ace Attorney, owing to the shocking incompetence of the police force.
- It's also significantly averted,since the cops do find a lot of evidence for the prosecution. Phoenix (or Apollo) is the only one actually looking for evidence that can be used by the defense.
- In the final case of Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth, this is inverted - the final decisive piece of evidence is delivered by an unnamed extra.
- Danganronpa, mostly due to Kirigiri's talent. Other people find evidence, but do not realize that it may be used as evidence until Naegi or Kirigiri learn of it.
- KateModern, probably because the police are being manipulated by the Order.
- Played with in an episode of Justice League. Batman doesn't find any evidence at a crime scene, and suggests minor character The Atom come to find anything he might've missed. However, he apparently doesn't find anything either.