An Image Booru is a new breed of Image Board
and is essentially a tag-based image archive. The name is derived from Danbooru (which means cardboard box), which was the first booru site. Most of the current ones are based loosely around anime. Because the idea is still relatively new, there are not that many of them around compared to standard forums or more traditional imageboards. These sites cater to those who want the Pixiv
experience, but don't feel like sifting through Japanese. A very large majority of the images you see on boorus came from Pixiv
These sites often have a tagging system in which users sort the images into categories while uploading: e.g. [X character], [X show], [X artist]. They also have pools where certain images that are related to each other in a way that the tag system doesn't allow for can be collected for viewing, and is the primary means for works hosted on the boorus to be compiled. Most boorus have standardized tagging...but each might have slight differences in how they're standardized,
which is something to be aware of when going from one booru to another.
Image Boorus often differ from Image Boards
— but are still closely related — by nature of simply viewing many images and occasionally commenting on them as opposed to starting a comment thread with an image and continuing in the same thread with more images. The main advantage over Image Boards is that the images remain in place indefinitely unless deleted by moderators, whereas on an Image Board this is rarely the case. Because Image Boorus also have much the same attitude regarding censorship that other Image Boards
have, the content of many boorus is Not Safe for Work
. You Have Been Warned
No Relation To Nabooru
, though there are probably a few images of her on some of these.
Notable Image Boorus
- Danbooru: The very first booru, dedicated to anime and video game images, whose name comes from the Japanese word for "Cardboard Box." Many of the site's images in question come from Pixiv, including many Doujinshi. Site content is given three major ratings, ranging from Safe (non-explicit images, though not always genuinely safe for work; bear in mind that bikini and lingerie images are usually "Safe"), Questionable (a bit racy, but not explicit; for example, exposed breasts), and Explicit (sexually explicit images). When doujin pages are hosted on the booru, people are usually on hand to translate the Japanese or other language for better reading by English-speakers. The most objectionable content is such that users have to pay for the privilege of viewing it, or who were invited by the staff (which is distinctly less common now than in Danbooru's early years). The main rule the site follows in regards to images is no live-action or real-life explicit content. Not Safe for Work. Danbooru has a multi-tiered membership system, with various levels above basic membership but below moderators and administrators coming either by paying or because the staff likes you. The latter type of upgrade is sometimes granted simply to the staff's friends, but mainly as a reward for helping out the site (ie a history of consistently uploading good images, fixing tags and/or translating doujins and 4koma).
- Safebooru: A mirror site for Danbooru, this booru hosts only images that have been rated Safe on the parent site.
- Gelbooru: Hosts much of the same stuff as Danbooru (in fact, the site automatically grabs everything that gets uploaded to Danbooru, with the exception of images that are of very large size), but has no qualms about showing more objectionable content right out in the open. Also has no qualms about more objectionably bad content, as images rejected by Danbooru as crap will usually be acceptable to Gelbooru. Doujinshi and artbook scans are prohibited, even though (unlike Danbooru), Gelbooru does not have a policy of removing images at the artist's request. In addition to artwork, also features photos of Japanese cosplayers and pornstars. Has a strict Japan-only policy, unlike Danbooru which features some Western artists. Very much Not Safe for Work due to the blatantly pornographic pop-up ads and banners on the site, though they can be turned off in account settings.
- The Big Image Board (TBIB): AKA, that Big Booru, so called because of its immense size (well over 3,000,000 images and counting!) it possibly is the largest image site in existence. TBIB is kind of like Gelbooru in that the content controls present on Danbooru are simply nonexistent, but goes even farther than Gelbooru in that it actually allows Doujinshi and Artbook scans and even direct scans of some manga (particularly Hentai). To get away with this, it employs Not Safe For Work Ads. As such, linking this booru should be avoided here.
- XBooru: An booru explicitly for, as the name hints, content rated X, i.e. porn in general and, in most cases, hentai in particular. Seems to have no quality or sanity control.
- Ponibooru: A booru, and one of the first fan-based websites, dedicated to fanart of My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic. The site has since been shut down due to a Creator Breakdown.
- Derpibooru is taking up the torch of Ponibooru with most of the images and fans moving there. It is considerably close to Equestria Daily in terms of fandom popularity. Currently one of the most feature-laden pony 'boorus, it features both Image spoilering and hiding for filtering purposes, tag watchlists, and the ability to directly retrieve and upload images from some websites like DeviantArt. Unlike the latter pony boorus, neither Derpibooru or original Ponibooru hosted Shockwave Flash files and both are also known for (over)allowing meta posts. Derpibooru has recently added forums (to phase-out aforementioned meta posts) and embedded livestreams to its list of features.
- The booru had several mirror sites, such as pbooru (NSFW), created before its death. They seem to retain little to no of the user activity the others were known for, however. Pbooru has no image filtering (but has a tag blacklist), and retains a Danbooru clone look.
- Octabooru, their direct competition from /mlp/ on 4chan launched in November. Has many unique additions such as Sweetie Bot, who identifies ponies automatically and tags for you (currently only the main cast, but planned to do all the most popular bg ponies eventually), and its own synctube.
- Fluffybooru is notable for not only being a repository for fluffy pony stories and art, but for being the main hub of the fluffy pony fandom.
- 20 Percent Cooler is another pony 'booru archive, which also features some image filtering and image pools.
- Bronibooru, a work-safe-only and quality-controlled pony archive unaffiliated with any of the above. Uploads are screened by moderators.
- The MiShimmie, an imageboard with an active community based entirely around the Western doujin game Katawa Shoujo and its universe.
- /tg/booru: A repository for images found on the 4chan imageboard /tg/.
- Ib.Skaia.net, moved to MSPABooru: An image board for Homestuck fanart.
- Paheal.net: An infamous booru dedicated to Rule 34—and to a lesser extent; cosplay and Rule 63. Even lower quality standards than Gelbooru; if it's pornographic or even just shows breasts, there's virtually no chance of it being rejected.
- rule34.xxx: A blatantly NSFW booru that uses the .XXX NSFW domain address. Closely related to Paheal's archives with a danbooru-style formatting.
- e926.net, the safe for work spinoff of e621.net, both used for Furry Fandom art.
- Sankaku Channel: The booru section of anime tabloid site Sankaku Complex. Allows practically anything anime, manga or game-related, including doujinshi and artbook scans, and has a massive catalogue of images; around the same number as TBIB, if not more. By default, Channel allows all users to continually scroll down, steadily loading all the images in the tag until they reach the very first one, instead of requiring them to change pages. However, this may make the site slower on low-end machines. Not suitable for direct linking due to NSFW images and ads.
- Idol Complex: Sankaku Complex's second booru. Features the same system as Channel, but it exclusively hosts AV idols and erotic cosplays. Of course, it's not suitable for direct linking either.
- Draw Friends, a booru for art by drawfags from 4chan's /a/ board.
- The /co/llection, a booru for art by drawfags from 4chan's /co/ board.
- IIChan.ru Archive is a booru for art of all kinds from the Russian-language imageboard IIChan. Ads very NSFW and so are some of the images, so you should probably not link there.
- Sakugabooru, a booru for notable moments of Animation Bump from numerous Japanese and western productions. Relies heavily more on video clips than it does images, but follows a similar mindset.
- Vinebooru, a booru dedicated to fanart for the video game streaming site/team Vinesauce, generally SFW, though the content can sometimes dip into NSFW territory.
- Temmie Village, a booru dedicated to fanart of Undertale. Work-safe only.