Icarus Proudbottom In The Curse Of The Chocolate Fountain
Icarus Proudbottom in: The Curse of the Chocolate Fountain
is an independent Flash-based game developed the members of the chiptune band 1-2-3 Blast On!
, created as a submission for the Something Awful
Game Development Challenge V, with one unifying theme to base it on: You can't stop pooping.
The game itself follows the journey of the titular hero Icarus, who one-day discovers that his rear end has become a neverending torrent of excrement, and he's being flung through the air by it at subsonic speeds. On his journey, he is joined by a bird, who just so happens to be a magical spirit animal and can transform himself into a katana, named 'Blood Destiny', with which Icarus himself can defend against birds, geese, Neo-Nazis, and a helicopter piloted by Barack Obama
.We really don't even have to say it, do we?
Despite the fundamentally Audience-Alienating Premise
of a man excreting forever, the game still enjoys a bit of cult popularity for its ridiculous premise
and surprisingly clever and funny writing, along with an 8-bit design aesthetic and great chiptune background music.
An Updated Re-release
is announced for Steam
, bundled with Icarus Proudbottom Teaches Typing
, Icarus Proudbottom Is Dead!
(A.K.A. Icarus Proudbottom's World of Typing Weekly
), and Icarus Proudbottom’s Typing Party
This game has examples of:
- Bait and Switch: The first two cutscenes between levels set up different explanations as to why Icarus is endlessly pooping. Only in the third cutscene is the truth revealed. It wasn't a Chinese buffet or crashing into a laxative truck, but a curse he gained after accidentally running over an old gypsy.
- Catch Phrase: "Holy Wow!"
- Gypsy Curse: How Icarus began constantly pooping.
- In Medias Res: The game begins with Icarus already flying through the air pooping. There are cutscenes after the first three levels depicting the events leading up to this.
- Long List: In the first intermission, Icarus lists off all the food available at the Chinese buffet, culminating with "four gummy slices of pizza".
- No Name Given: Icarus's rival.
- Non-Human Sidekick: Jerry the owl.
- Repeating so the Audience Can Hear: Icarus's phone conversation in the cutscene after the first level.
- You Can't Go Home Again: Since Icarus can't stop pooping and had killed Barack Obama, the only option left is to explore the universe.