Science fiction and fantasy writer, living in Belfast.
Many of his books are Mundane Dogmatic
(though he has spoken against the Mundane Manifesto
, himself). Some (including Desolation Road
and Hearts, Hands, and Voices
) have elements of Magic Realism
Not to be confused with the author of Bruno the Bandit
- Desolation Road (1988)
- Empire Dreams (1988) (short stories)
- Out on Blue Six (1989)
- King of Morning, Queen of Day (1991)
- Hearts, Hands and Voices (1992, US: The Broken Land)
- Speaking in Tongues (1992) (short stories)
- Kling Klang Klatch (1992) (graphic novel, illustrated by David Lyttleton)
- Scissors Cut Paper Wrap Stone (1994)
- Brown Note: The tattoos on the protagonist's palms—one causes memory loss, the other causes death.
- Necroville(1994, US: Terminal Cafe)
- Chaga (1995, US: Evolution's Shore)
- Sacrifice of Fools (1996)
- Kirinya (1998)
- Tendeleo's Story (2000)
- Ares Express (2001): Set in the same universe as Desolation Road.
- River of Gods (2004)
- The Djinn's Wife (2006)
- Brasyl (2007)
- Cyberabad Days (2009): Set in the same universe as River of Gods.
- The Dervish House (2010)
- Planesrunner (2012)