open/close all folders
Films — Live-Action
- In the film Hollow Man, the main character says, "You'd be amazed what you're capable of when you don't have to look at yourself in the mirror any more." as he starts to go insane from the procedure.
- In the film version of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Harry, upon first trying on his Invisibility Cloak, looks down at himself and exclaims, startled, "My body's gone!"
- Averted in Mystery Men with Invisible Boy. He can become invisible only when nobody is looking, not even himself.
- The Ganymede Takeover by Philip K. Dick and Ray Nelson: One of the Neeg-parts who's using an illusion machine to make himself invisible says he can't see himself even after the machine has been turned off, though everyone else can see him. In this case, it's a result of the psychological effects of the weapons, which send the users crazy.
- Andrew Clements' novel Things Not Seen opens with the main character looking in the mirror and realizing he can't see himself. Bonus points because he states the trope to his parents shortly afterward.
Angel: I'm invisible!
- A variation occurs in the episode "Spin the Bottle", where a spell causes Angel to forget he is a vampire. When he looks in the mirror, he thinks he is invisible, but he actually isn't.
Cordelia: No, you're not.
- In an episode, Carter is exposed to a chemical that is slowly turning him invisible (including his clothes) and they have him wearing a special suit to let other people see him to deal with the issue.
- In another episode, a camo-paint is applied to a cat's fur, causing the feline to become invisible.
- The superhero serial in Son of Cliché was called The Adventures of Captain Invisible and his sidekick, the See-Thru Kid! The Captain and See-Thru would discover their superpower had drawbacks. At the barber's shop, perhaps, or when driving The Invisible Car down a typical freeway. Or indeed finding The Invisible Car after parking it...
- From an RPG session:
Player: How did I fall off the bridge?
DM: Because you were invisible and didn't know where are you ending.