How To Be Indie is a Canadian Kid Com
revolving around Indira 'Indie' Mehta and her two best friends Abigail 'Abi' Flores and Marlon Parks as they make it through junior high and Indie tries to get through life even with her strict Indian-Canadian parents. She also likes to occassionally speak to the audience.
And it has nothing to do with Alternative Rock
or indie games
This show has examples of:
- Abusive Parents: Indie and Abi's mothers in How To Strike A Balance.
- Indie's father to all three kids in How To Make A Comeback.
- All of this is Played for Laughs
- Adults Are Useless: Averted, most of the time.
- Alpha Bitch: Evil Cousin Rubi.
- Asian and Nerdy: Abi.
- Ascended Extra: Carlos Martinelli
- Bad Bad Acting: A couple of times
Marlon and Abi: Shame on you Indira Mehta, Shame!
- Book Dumb: Marlon and Carlos.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: Indie would always talk to the audience in every episode.
- The Bully: Carlos.
- But Not Too Foreign: Averted with Indira's parents, although their children are quite North Americanized, which can be Truth in Television.
- The Chess Master: Indie tries to be this and 'Fails'
- Child Prodigy: Abi.
- Cloud Cuckoolander: Marlon. Indie, Occasionally.
- Cool Big Sis: Chandra.
- Dawson Casting: Melinda Shankar (the actress who plays Indie) was 16 when filming, playing a 13-14 year old.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: In How To Pass The Smell Test, Indie's joining of Carlos' crew is treated like an alcohol addiction, complete with 'I can quit anytime I want!' from Indie.
- Disproportionate Retribution: Carlos failed a paper on protein based adhesives so the science teacher glued him to the ceiling by his feet.
- Doomy Dooms of Doom / Department of Redundancy Department:
Chandra: Your funeral... of death.
- Double Meaning Title: How to be a girl nicknamed Indie, as well as how to be a girl that is Indian.
- Egg Sitting: "How to Get Gotten"
- Expy: Of Guitar Hero in one episode and of Dance Dance Revolution in another.
- Four Man Band:
- Half-Identical Twins: Chandra and AJ, who are female and male respectively.
- Hollywood Hacking: The Shadowkings, they can write computer code using their minds!
- How To Name An Episode
- IN SPACE!: Teenage Girls Diary: THE MUSICAL!
- Jerkass: Carlos, no heart of gold here.
- Line-of-Sight Name: Gary Sugar-Thing.
- Little Miss Badass: Indie can take out her brother who’s in the wrestling club.
- Love Interest: Arguably the entire reason Marlon exists
- Mad Scientist: Bobba G
- Ms Imagination: Indie.
- Only So Many Canadian Actors: This show's the reason why Melinda Shankar's Degrassi character was Put on a Bus to private school for a while.
- Pillow Fight: One occurs between Indie and Evil Cousin Ruby in "How to Keep Your Cool in a Heat Wave". Evil Cousin Ruby has a 'hand tooled combat pillow'.
- Pink Oni Blue Oni: Indie and Abi
- Race Tropes: Indie's parents, grandpa and Abi's mother are all hit and miss.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Marlon and Abi, also qualifies as wild loves uptight.
- Secret Diary: Indie's family all read hers. At least by the end of the episode she's bought a lock.
- Sick Episode: Chandra and AJ both get ill in one episode. Their mother makes them eat (or bathe) in wacky antidotes.
- Ship Tease: Abi and Marlon.
Carlos: Curses! Foiled again!
- Slumber Party: Evil Cousin Ruby hosts one in "How to Keep Your Cool in a Heat Wave". Marlon and John unwisely decide to crash it.
- Stalker with a Crush: Indie to Chad, and Ram to Indie.
- This Loser Is You: Indie is well intentioned, but most of the crazy schemes she concocts are disasters and make everything worse.
- Token Trio: Indie (Indian), Abi (Filipino), and Marlon (Token White).
- Token White: Marlon.
- Two Girls and a Guy: Indie, Abi, and Marlon.
- You Just Told Me: Chandra is tricked into confessing every bad thing she's ever gotten away with by Indie and her father.
- Troperiffic: Amazingly so.