open/close all folders
Films — Animated
- In Beauty and the Beast, Lumiere is trying to coach the Beast on how to woo Belle. He tells the Beast, "When you see her, give her your most dazzling smile! Come, come, show us the smile." Cue the Beast awkwardly baring his fangs.
Films — Live-Action
- In Pulp Fiction Vincent responds to the Wolf's orders on how to dispose of Marvin with "Please would be nice." This despite the fact that the situation is almost entirely his fault. The Wolf complies, sarcastically.
- Doctor Who: In Into the Dalek, the Doctor waits for a soldier to lower her weapon and say "Please" before he agrees to take her back to her base.
- Everybody Loves Raymond:
Robert: What?Ray: Get over there.Robert: "Get over there..."Ray: ...Please?Robert: There ya go, Raymond. You'll find a little courtesy goes a long way.
- In "Hackidu", Ray is impatient to get out of Russell's shop with the Scramisaur card, but before Russell will let him have it, he demands, "Let's have a little smile." Ray struggles to force a smile, and after Russell says, "That's what it's all about, man", he says he owes him well over $200 for the purchase.
- In "The Christmas Picture", Ray tells Robert to get over into the picture.
- Farscape however plays it straight, when John Crichton finally agrees to give Scorpius the wormhole weapon he's been obsessed over for years. John goes all the way to "pretty please with a cherry on top" with Scorpius repeating his words without hesitation.
- Subverted in one episode of Rugrats, where Angelica has taken a ball from Tommy, who wants it back.
Angelica: Ask me nice.Tommy: Give me my ball!Angelica: Say "Pretty please with sugar on top."Tommy: Give me my ball!Angelica: Say "Angelica is the nicest, prettiest, best person in the whole wide world."
- In Jessica Jones, Kilgrave often commands Jessica to smile while she is under his control.
- Royal Canadian Air Farce had a self-inflicted example where a politician in turmoil addresses his country saying "if I was worried, would I smile like this?" The camera cuts to a close-up of his face, and he smiles very briefly before reverting to gloom.
- Star Trek: Voyager. In "Message in a Bottle" B'Elanna gives Seven of Nine a lengthy tirade on how rude she is, not even delivering common courtesies like "Thank you". Later Seven zaps unconscious an annoying alien who's giving them trouble.
Seven: It was a mild shock. He will recover. He was not responding to diplomacy.(Captain Janeway Death Glares at Seven and storms out)Seven: Thank you.
- City of Angels:
Buddy: I need the new pages first thing yesterday. I'm going to open my window—I want to see some fingers flying. Stine? Let me hear a smile. (Stine smiles despite himself) Louder! (A laugh from Stine) That's my boy!
- The Simpsons: A variant occurs in "Black Widower" when Sideshow Bob is chewing out a hotel bellboy:
Sideshow Bob: I WANTED A ROOM WITH A FIREPLACE, YOU BLASTED MONKEY! (realizes Selma is capturing him on camera) Oh Selma dear... I was just chatting with my good friend... (looks at his name tag) Dennis! Now, smile for the camera, there's a good lad! (Dennis struggles to produce a nervous smile)
- Teen Titans: Robin is being forced to take a supervillain's daughter to her prom.
Kitty: And would it kill you to smile?(Robin forces a painful-looking rictus)Robin: Maybe.
Say "cheese"! Limburger.