aka: Honey Pot
Kim Jong Un: "Why did he do it! Why!?"The Mole sent to gain the trust of a specific person... horizontally. Usually female, sometimes even a heroic Fake Defector, the uniting thread is that there is one target and this one target is to be seduced. The others might be suspicious or even hostile, but that's incidental. Might be une espionne who wears a night dress. In Real Life, this is also a term for a grifter's Blackmail scam wherein a sexy woman approaches a wealthy married man and gets him into a compromising position (preferably in bed, though in some cases just a passionate embrace will do), while her partner-in-crime secretly takes pictures. Then the pictures are sent to the man with a demand for money; no money, and the wife gets sent copies of everything. This is the classic form; there are plenty of variations, but they all rely on using sex as bait to get someone to do something unwise, then making them regret it. This can also be done with an Armored Closet Gay if it would ruin his career, he's married, or lives in a time or place where homosexuality is illegal. A variation of this can be seen in Japan, where a female scammer frames up a random guy in the subway for doing The Chikan, and asks for a lot of money in exchange for not telling the cops. It has also been used in espionage, where the trapper gains secrets from the trappee. While the Femme Fatale Spy archetype is well-known, men can take this role as well, such as the "Romeo" agents of the East German Stasi during the Cold War, sent to seduce the secretaries of West German ministers. Also the name of special computers made to appear as a desirable targets (typically governments or large corporations); used by cybercrime investigators for trapping playful hackers and crackers to learn their techniques. One of The Oldest Tricks In The Book. Compare The Vamp and Femme Fatale Spy, the two character types most effective at this. See also Chained to a Bed. May start with The Schlub Pub Seduction Deduction. Also #31 of The Thirty-Six Stratagems. Has nothing to do with actual honey... usually. For extra messiness, can be followed up with In Love with the Mark or High Heel-Face Turn. If it's being performed by a policewoman to catch criminals, it's more likely a Dirty Harriet. For Lighter and Softer variations, see I Have Boobs, You Must Obey! and Favors for the Sexy. Not to be confused with the Innocent Innuendo that is Agent Provocateur; that job is actually very, very unsexy.
General: "He was a Honeydick, sir..."
Kim Jong Un: "A what!?"
General:"He deliberately appealed to the emotional, less rational aspects of your nature, and seduced you into advancing his personal agenda."
Kim Jong Un: "But I was honeydicking HIM!"
General: "He was a Honeydick, sir..."
Kim Jong Un: "A what!?"
General:"He deliberately appealed to the emotional, less rational aspects of your nature, and seduced you into advancing his personal agenda."
Kim Jong Un: "But I was honeydicking HIM!"
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- Kaworu Nagisa, the seventeenth angel in Neon Genesis Evangelion. Although they never quite did it in either, he seemed a little more effective in the anime than in the manga; in both, being forced to kill him set off the series' biggest Heroic BSOD.
- Johan from Monster uses Roberto as one of these at least once, which is... interesting. To a lesser degree, Johan acts as one himself while disguised as his sister Anna.
- In Darker Than Black, Shihoko acted as one of these against Huang as part of her backstory.
- Not-so-Innocent Fanservice Girl Brita worked her way into the American embassy to spy for the EPR by sleeping with an official, too.
- One faction in the seventh episode of the original Bubblegum Crisis OVA sets up a Dirty Old Man scientist with this type of trap. This group and the Knight Sabers, who were hired to protect the scientist, carry out their plans with various types of Room Disservice and a fake ambulance after a faked heart attack.
- Kei Amemiya in Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade. She's a former terrorist turned police informer, who poses as the sister of an adolescent suicide bomber encountered by the protagonist Fuse. Her controllers (the Public Security Division) intend to create a fake scandal to give them the excuse to disband Fuse's Special Unit, which has become a political embarrassment.
- Melissa Mao plays one early in Full Metal Panic! Sigma to capture a rogue Mithril agent.
- As par for course, Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei subverts this by introducing anime-obsessed fanboys who are so thoroughly engrossed in their love for all things 2D that they are, in fact, immune to the 3D allure of a honey trap.
- In Weiß Kreuz, Yohji Kudou's role in Weiss frequently involves striking up a relationship with a female target in order to get information, especially in sequel series Weiss Kreuz Gluhen. Unfortunately for Yohji, he's very bad at keeping himself from getting emotionally involved, leading to a breakdown and near-Face-Heel Turn toward the end of Gluhen.
- Saki Miyajima in Durarara!!, who does this to get her boyfriend Kida back, following Izaya's intructions to do so.
- Mari Minami from the Vampire Princess Miyu manga, who seduced/befriended boys so her Shinma father could feed on their blood.
- Used in Wicked City, where the Dirty Old Man working with Makie and Renzaburou is set up and almost killed by a beautiful prostitute who's actually a demon. It was a part of said old man's plan, tho.
- At the very beginning, Renzaburou had a very detailed (and hot) sex scene with a beautiful High-Class Call Girl. It quickly became Fan Disservice when the woman turned out to be not just a Dark Action Girl sent to kill him... but a demon. More exactly, a spider woman with Vagina Dentata and all. Renzaburou barely escapes with his life and she swears revenge, becoming a major antagonist in the movie.
- Tomoe Yukishiro from Rurouni Kenshin, who took up the role to avenge her fiancé Akira Kiyosato, whom Kenshin killed. Too bad she ends up falling for him instead.
- In Rosario + Vampire, a slug monster blackmails Kurumu into dating her with some rather... candid photos he took of her. This works because Kurumu is noted to be very innocent, shy and chaste — as far as succubi go.
- The title character of 009-1, Mylene Hoffmann aka 009-1, is the rare protagonist version (and might have been built with this specific purpose in mind). The fact that Mylene has machine guns built into her breasts means that she can defend herself even if the target finds out and tries to turn the tables on her while she's naked and theoretically unarmed.
- Ribbons Almark from Gundam 00 is the very rare Ho Yay version. He pretended to care for his boss Alejandro Corner, playing on the other man's obvious trust and affection (and possible romantic/sexual feelings) for him... only to betray him in the very last moment. FUCKING RIBBONS, instead.
- In Wild Rock, the lakeside clan is getting all the wild game thanks to Emba, leaving the eastern forest clan hard up for food. Since Yuuen is useless at hunting, his father figures that if Yuuen pretends to be a women he can convince Emba to give them some of the game he kills. Yuuen quickly feels guilty about the deception, but then it turns out he was doing a really poor job and Emba knew all along.
- Spy of Darkness: This is Q-section's primary method of operation. This being a hentai, it seems that their mission statement includes bedding all of their targets prior to arresting/assassinating/interrogating them.
- Rina Mamiya from Higurashi: When They Cry helps her lover Teppei Hojou to swindle rich men off their money via having Rina seduce them, then start a chain of blackmailing and extortion. When they target a certain Mr. Ryuugu to steal one million yen from him, though, Ryuugu's teenage daughter Rena decides to protect her father and herself from Rina's charms. Bloodily, if needed.
- Gunslinger Girl. This was Alessandro "Sandro" Rissi's job before he became a cyborg handler. As a result his colleagues tend to assume he's a Handsome Lech.
- Yumi Horikoshi from Detective Conan did this, threatening her ex-boyfriend Kazushi Nakanishi with sending R-rated photos of themselves (taken in the past) to his new girlfriend. And Kazushi got so pissed that he killed her.
- Also, Akiko Sayama from the "Night Baron Virus" case. She invited Asshole Victim Ebara to her and her boyfriend's hotel room, spiked his drink, dressed him up as the Night Baron and threw him off the balcony.
- A Rare Male Example is Shuichi Akai, who in the past was instructed by the FBI to strengthen his position as The Mole inside The Syndicate he had infiltrated by dating a membress who also was the older sister of one of said syndicate's top scientists. However, he ended up falling in love with the woman for real...
- Genderflipped examples: the Amazon Trio from Sailor Moon. In either continuity they were in, they would first try to seduce or befriend their soon-to-be victims; when their targets rejected their advances, the Trio member at work would reveal himself as a villain and whip out the Mind Rape to try peeking into their victims's dreams.
- In Stepping On Roses, Soichiro married Sumi to set her up as one for his rival Nozomu, as well as to get his share of the family inheritance In a twist, Soichiro ended up falling for Sumi... and so did Nozomu - who went the Yandere way.
- Shows up constantly in Great Teacher Onizuka. In this setting, it seems as if half of all teenage girls have tried at least once to get somebody in a compromising position, usually for money, and the attempts are usually successful. Taking that for granted, the series experiments with motivation and choice of target, from Mean Girls blackmailing equally shady adults to Urumi in her introduction staging a molestation scene and running for the police (played for laughs; her victim's just very upset by this and she wasn't really trying to hurt him) to vigilantes trying to see who they can convince to "cross the line" and become an acceptable target for physical brutalization.
- Played with in Andy Seto's The King of Fighters manhua. Vice from the Orochi group not only attempts to seduce Kyo Kusanagi, but she does so while disguising herself as Kyo's girlfriend Yuki. It fails, however, as he soon realizes that a Tsundere like Yuki wouldn't throw herself at him in the circumstances they're in.
- Done in a slightly unusually way in Kamisama Kiss when Tomoe, a male Kitsune, has to distract Jirou. First he tries to get him drunk and when that fails he notices Jirou is attracted to the heroine Nanami and is very much in denial about it. And since Shapeshifting is one of Tomoe's powers...let's just say he succeeds in distracting Jirou.
- Irina Jelevic (aka Bitch-Sensei) from Assassination Classroom is an expert at this. She's also teaching a couple students her techniques.
- Subverted in Private Actress. Satoka tries to set a situation where it looks like she had sex with her handsome and much older co-star to get more publicity, but said co-star's Guile Hero of a daughter foils this attempt.
- In Mushoku Tensei the Boreas Greyrats were interested in bringing Rudeus into their political battle and offered to let him do whatever he wanted with Eris. Eris' mother went so far as to dress her in a thin nightgown and send her to Rudeus' room with instructions to offer her body. Rudeus recognized the trap would be triggered if he and Eris ever had sex and did his best to be cautious.
- Sylphy's two attempts to bed Rudeus were very similar in nature to this, though the goal was simply for the two to develop a romantic relationship. The trap wouldn't have even been necessary if it weren't for Sylphy's timid nature and Rudeus misinterpreting the situation.
- Shira Brie from the Star Wars Expanded Universe.
- The Black Widow originally got her start as an Iron Man villain, sent by the Soviets to seduce him in order to learn his secrets. (In fact, this was pretty much her MO as a villain, and likely how she originally got her name, before pulling a Heel-Face Turn and joining S.H.I.E.L.D.)
- Daredevil has been on both sides of this fence with Typhoid Mary. First, she was sent by Kingpin to seduce and later kill him, and would have done so except her "good" personality fell for him legitimately. Later, Matt got closer to her good side and had sex with her, then had the cops take her away before she woke up in the morning.
- Blue Eyes from Sin City is a hired assassin that is used in this manner, although it seems that she could have been a more standard shoot-and-kill assassin but apparently really likes sex.
- X-23 has used this at least once. On a pedophile. When her niece was kidnapped by a serial child-killer, Sarah Kinney snuck the teenaged Laura out of her cell on an unauthorized mission to look for her. Laura disguised herself as a girl scout to catch the killer's attention and distract him long enough to finish him off and rescue her cousin.
- While shaking down some old contacts from the Facility while helping Hellion locate Mercury, who had been kidnapped for experimentation, Laura is shown dressed rather provocatively after throwing one of her targets from a window. While not explicitly stated, it's certainly suggested this was the manner she used to get close enough to interrogate him.
- In The Fledgling Year, Gyneth is revealed to have been not only The Mole reporting back the The Conspiracy, but also planning to seduce, marry, and eventually assassinate Archenland's crown prince.
- A crossover fic between Buffy and Stargate eventually has a small school built in Colorado to train the newly activated slayers with an injured Willow acting as the headmistress. Eventually rumors begin circulating in the nearby town of a strange school near the Cheyenne Mountain base full of young attractive women with the most common theory being that it's a large scale Honey Trap school set up by the military. *
- In Harry Potter and the Paradigm Shift Tonks commented that Occluding while wanking was a required Auror skill because they might be called upon occasionally to get information horizontally and it would be bad if their "lover" was a Legilimens.
- In the Girl Genius fic On Her Undying Majesty's Secret Service, like any good Bond Girl Expy Melisande's name even indicates her role as the Honey Trap. And like many Bond Girls, she falls In Love with the Mark.
- In AA Pessimal's Discworld fics about the Guild of Assassins, the sultry and adventurous teacher Madame Emmanuelle-Marie Lapoignard les Deux-Epées attempts to teach an optional module to senior girls on Honey-Trap Techniques and Strategems. Her intention is to point out to her girls that if you think the way to a client's heart, (or indeed his kidneys, liver or jugular vein) is through his stomach, then you are most assuredly aiming too high. The course was cancelled after several senior girls attempted to defect to the Seamstresses' Guild, and parents started complaining to the school management.
Films — Live-Action
- Munich contains the line "beware the local Honey Trap" when the team is in London. The above comment is initially spoken as a joke by a married member of the Israeli team who turns her down not realising it's literally true — the woman is a female assassin setting them up for murder.
- North By Northwest contains one who is also a Double Agent.
- Jude (Miranda Richardson) is an IRA honeytrap in The Crying Game.
- The movie Traffic contains a homosexual Honey Trap as part of an elaborate drug scheme.
- Claire in Enigma (2001).
- Roxanne in Good Burger.
- Lexy used this on Sam in Adulthood.
- Pirates of the Caribbean:
- Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest: Elizabeth Swan, where she thanks and kisses Jack Sparrow for coming back to save them. As they near a mast, she deliberately chains him; this is because the Kraken is after Jack only, so she decides that Jack be trapped and eaten instead of the entire crew.
- Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides: In the London Chase Scene, Jack takes cover inside a wealthy older lady's carriage, and immediately leans over to smooch her behind the ear before resuming his escape. She's apparently not displeased by this event... until she realizes that he's just fled with her jewelled earring in his mouth!
- The seemingly sweet and innocent female lead turned out to be this in the Plot Twist for the film Derailed.
- The martian who dresses as a woman to get into the White House in Mars Attacks!.
- The James Bond franchise has had a few of these, including Bond doing it himself on a couple of occasions.
- The most notable example is From Russia with Love, where the aim of SPECTRE is to kill Bond and embarrass MI6.
- While Tatiana in the above example drove the plot of the movie, Xenia Onatopp in Golden Eye is this, as she is actually seen killing a man during sex so that her collaborators could steal his ID.
- Xenia also tries to do the same to Bond himself later on, and he almost falls for it, if not for the fact that when she slaps her thighs around him toward the end of the fight, it seems to knock some sense into Bond (after all, Bond had discovered the body of the last unlucky person to get a good squeeze from Xenia).
- A more prominent example would be Vesper's boyfriend, whose entire job is this. He seduces female agents and gets them to fall in love with him. He then "disappears" and his superiors (Quantum) then claim his life is in danger to force the female agent to sell secrets/help them. When Bond catches him in Quantum of Solace he's in the process of doing this to a Canadian agent.
- Catherine Trammell in Basic Instinct arguably does this.
- Used repeatedly in The Good Shepherd. By nearly every woman in the entire movie!
- The Siege (1998). CIA agent Elise Kraft is asked by her Arab informer whether she's sleeping with him as part of this trope. She jokes that she had to get special permission from her superiors first.
- Bordello of Blood is a movie about a brothel, run by female vampires who eat their clients.
- In the little known 2006 film The Insurgents, a group of disillusioned Americans prepare to detonate a truck bomb in order to spark a revolution. In need of a driver for the truck, they set the one female of the group as the Honey Trap. The guy they find later turns out to have been a Honey Trap himself, sent by a government agency to infiltrate the group.
- Implementing a Honey Trap is the point of one of the Farm's tests in The Recruit.
- The killer in The Temp.
- This is part of O'Ren's backstory in Kill Bill. Noticeably, it happened when she was eleven... because O-Ren used herself as a HT, since the killer of her parents was not just a Yakuza lord but a pedophile. Before he could bone her, O-ren stabs him to death with his own katana, bitterly telling him to look at her face and realize her identity before he dies. She then pulls the sword out of the Dirty Old Man's stomach (and gets smeared with his blood), takes his gun, kills two of his bodyguards and escapes.
- Mae Monroe in The Specialist acts as a honeytrap while seeking revenge for the murder of her parents.
- The title character in Foxy Brown uses this trick on more than one occasion.
- Ali uses this on Bobby in Bully.
- Escape to Athena: The headquarters of La Résistance is in the local whorehouse, with the girls being used for collecting secrets, and taking Germans prisoner when it's time to liberate the town.
- Dr. Ilsa Schneider from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. Notable in that she honey trapped both of the Joneses.
- She was only partly successful in the case of the elder Dr. Jones, in that he slept with her, but did not (as he pointed out to his son) trust her. Indy, on the other hand, fell for it hook, line, and sinker.
- Used repeatedly in Cruel Intentions.
- The Assignment: An American naval officer trained to become a doppelganger of terrorist Carlos the Jackal finds that his assignment involves sleeping with Carlos' ex-girlfriend. As he's married he's rather disturbed by this, whereupon Donald Sutherland's CIA character quips: "Don't think of it as cheating on your wife; think of it as fucking for your flag."
- In The Film of the Book Clear and Present Danger, Felix Cortez, head of "Security and Intelligence" for Colombian drug lord Ernesto Escobedo, takes up the Honey Trap role himself in order to get information from Moira Wolfson, who is the personal secretary of the Director of the US Federal Bureau of Investigation.
- Sasha in Ready To Rumble.
- The entire point of Heartbreakers.
- Several instances in Bad Company (1995) about a corporate espionage team that uses blackmail to gather information. In one instance they barge in waving a video camera on a middle-aged man having sex with a younger woman. Nothing unusual except the girl turns out to be his niece. Who later approaches the team asking where her money is.
- In Anaconda, Terri tries one of these on the manipulative Sarone, who by then has pretty much taken over the whole expedition. Double Subverted, as it's so obvious (she has shown nothing but contempt for him up to that point) that Sarone knows immediately that they're trying to distract him to knock him out. He catches them and kisses her anyway, but gets knocked out by a second guy he didn't foresee.
- The Interview: Discussed. At great length, by many different characters, mostly in the form of a Spear Counterpart to this trope, which they called "Honeydicking".
- Getting Even by George Hayduke (it's a multi-volume work, so it might be volume two or three), describes the following (this is from memory so it's slightly paraphrased):
Get a good looking girl, and an equally together guy who can pass for a girl with some help. Have the two seduce the target, and take both of them back to his room. The real girl should distract the guy, while the other "girl" removes "her" skirt and panties. At some point after this, you should rush into the room with a camera. Alternatively, you can set up an infrared camera, to take pictures without him finding out.
- Parodied in the Discworld novel Making Money, when the middle-aged Pucci Lavish tries it on Moist von Lipwig. She is overweight, rather dim, and dresses in a manner that might be attractive on a woman one third her size (provided that said woman was a particular stunner to begin with), After running like hell, Moist concludes that it would have to be a very strange jury that believed he'd be attracted to her.
- In Romance of the Three Kingdoms, Diao Chan was dispatched by her adoptive father to sow mistrust between Dong Zhuo and his right hand man/adopted son, Lu Bu. It might have been the Ur Example if prostitution and espionage hadn't claimed the titles of the world's oldest and second-oldest professions respectively.
- Lale's mission in The Assassins of Tamurin
- The John le Carré spy book/film adaptation The Little Drummer Girl is about a woman recruited by Mossad to act as a honey trap for a terrorist. In the film's coda we see another terrorist have his throat cut by a male Mossad agent who's in bed with him.
- In Le Carré's Smiley's People, Otto Leipzig does this to Oleg Kirov, who, to use Connie Sachs' phrase, "walked in with his eyes wide shut."
- In Lust, Caution, a Chinese university student working for a Nationalist resistance cell during WW2 is instructed to seduce a high-ranking member of the pro-Japanese occupation government in order to enable his assassination.
- In Money With Menaces by Frederick Forsyth, a clerk at an insurance company is blackmailed by exactly this scheme.
- Jacky in the Bloody Jack series is forced to be one of these during the Napoleonic wars as an alternative to being hanged for piracy. She manages to escape with her virginity miraculously intact.
- Jacqueline from The Day of the Jackal, a girlfriend of a late OAS member, starts a relationship with a high-ranking French official to gain information that helps the Jackal.
- In Don Emanuels Nether parts, the eponymous character is 'enlightened' enough to take all the village whores for a medical check up every month and supplies antibiotics to those that don't pass (in an era before AIDS). When the village is attacked and one of the whores has syphillis she is sent to infiltrate the officer class. Who suddenly find a pressing need to return to the capital with it's military clinics. The 'fighting over the girl' part only happens once the entire group finds each other in the clinic waiting room.
- In one Lord Darcy story, a female spy tries it with the main character. Works both ways, with him mainly feeding her misinformation - and taking his time with it.
- Another story mentioned a decorated Naval Captain who was forced to resign when it was discovered that his mistress was a Polish spy, though Naval Intelligence was never able to prove that he had ever told her anything classified, knowingly or unknowingly.
- The John Grisham novel The Firm plays this trope straight with the main character.
- The John Grisham novel The Brethren has the homosexual blackmail version; three small-time scammers accidentally hook a man the CIA is vetting to become a Presidential candidate.
- Happens in several books by John Ringo. Notably in Cally's War.
- In Cryptonomicon, Lawrence Waterhouse, while monitoring radio signals in Qwghlm, believes his host's maid is a honey trap.
von Hackelheber: I learned, through some of our agents in the British Isles, that a man matching the general description of Lawrence Pritchard Waterhouse had been stationed to a castle in Outer Qwghlm. I was able to arrange for a young lady to place this man under the closest possible surveillance. His security precautions were impeccable, and so we learned nothing directly. In fact, it is quite likely that he knew that the young woman in question was an agent, and so took added precautions.
- And she is.
- In the late 16th/early 17th century Japanese short story Akimichi, the title character sends his wife to sleep with the man who murdered his father as part of a plan for revenge. However, things don't quite go as planned.
- Chauvelin hires Theresias for this purpose in The Triumph of the Scarlet Pimpernel. Theresias first asks her would-be employers if they're not worried of her Becoming the Mask.
- In Robert E. Howard's "The Devil in Iron", the plan to catch Conan the Barbarian revolves about the slave Octavia alluring him, and then making him think she's escaped.
"Then, shortly after the parley, before he has time to forget all about her, we will send a messenger to him, under a flag of truce, accusing him of stealing the girl and demanding her return. He may kill the messenger, but at least he will think that she has escaped.
"Then we will send a spy — a Yuetishi fisherman will do — to the kozak camp, who will tell Conan that Octavia is hiding on Xapur. If I know my man, he will go straight to that place."
"But we do not know that he will go alone," Jehungir argued.
"Does a man take a band of warriors with him, when going to a rendezvous with a woman he desires?" retorted Ghaznavi.
- In the Clive Cussler novel Vixen 03, a senator tries to blackmail Congresswoman Loren Smith with some photos he had taken of a hot date she had with Dirk Pitt. Unfortunately, he offended the photographer, who told the story to Dirk. Dirk's response was to tell the senator that unless he destroyed the negatives and dropped the issue, Dirk would introduce the photographer to his father - Senator Pitt, head of the Senate Ethics Committee. Since the career damage to the senator of being caught red-handed in attempted blackmail was far greater than the damage he could inflict on Loren by exposing that an unmarried Congresswoman is having a consensual sexual relationship with an unmarried man who is well above the age of consent, he folds.
- Older Than Feudalism: The Bible has Delilah, who is supposed to find out the secret of Samson's strength so the Phillistines can defeat him.
- A heroic example is Judith, who seduced the general of Nebuchadnezzar Holofernes, got him drunk and beheaded him when she got the chance, saving the city.
- Beryl Garcia-Stapleton is forced into this by her husband Jack Stapleton in the Sherlock Holmes story The Hound Of The Baskervilles, by posing as his sister and seducing Sir Henry Baskerville. He also tricked the disinherited and desperate Laura Lyons into writing the letter that would leave Henry's old uncle Sir Charles defenseless enough to succumb to Stapleton's lethal plans.
- Also, gender-inverted in both "Charles Augustus Milverton" and "The Retired Colourman,": In the first, Holmes masquerades as a plumber and courts the maid of a blackmailer to gain her trust to get her to give him information about her boss's house and help Holmes sneak in. Watson highly disapproves of this. In the latter, Holmes sends Watson on a fact-finding mission, and is then irritated and even perturbed that Watson didn't think to seduce any of the female neighbors of their client to get information out of them, pointing out that to forgo such an avenue of investigation is a waste of Watson's "natural advantages." Holmes apparently just doesn't learn. (From the text, Watson either refused to dignify Holmes's suggestion with a reply, or his response was such that it had to be omitted from the story.)
- Gender inversion in the Gor series: Male slaves to trap free women into slavery.
- In Dune, this is the Bene Gesserit's standard modus operandi.
- In Tom Holt's Expecting Someone Taller, Wotan sets one of these for Malcolm Fisher, sending his daughter, the Valkyrie Ortlinde to try to seduce Malcolm into giving up the ring.
- Done with a twist in Enchantressnote . A slave trader sells a female slave to an innkeeper in the Saxon British Isles. The goal is for the slave to spread tales of the luxury and wonder of the East, so that the next year when the trader comes around, young women will willing go with him into slavery.note
- One of Lieutenant Vulpes's assignments in The Mirador is to seduce Felix. He succeeds, but given that Felix "has a rather... casual attitude towards sex" (Mehitabel), it doesn't go as planned.
- Backstory of No Deals, Mr. Bond had MI-6 setting up several agents made from the children of undercover agents in East Germany to seduce several targets in pretense of getting information, but it was actually a ruse to secure two powerful figures for defection.
- In No Good Deed..., Elsabeth Soesten is hired to spy on Lord Cuncz, the Baron of Leyen, to determine his part in a conspiracy against the local Prince-Bishop. Needing a way into his castle to search for any incriminating evidence, she settles on this approach to gain access upon hearing rumors from a couple townsfolk of young local women being taken to him for the night before being returned the next morning. It's ultimately subverted, however. It turns out that Elsabeth's and Hieronymus's Mysterious Employer is actually Cuncz himself, who is setting up his co-conspirator for his own ends, and he wants her to find the papers. So Cuncz plays along and seduces her by letting Elsabeth think she's seducing him by playing along with his attempts to seduce her. The real kicker is that none of this is even necessary to his plans at all; Cuncz just goes with it to take advantage of the opportunity to bed her!
- Saffron from Firefly, for her own ends.
- The Bill featured several storylines about women acting as honeytraps, including a gang of prostitutes who lured wealthy businessmen to hotel rooms before drugging them and stealing their money and laptop, and a gangster's girlfriend who picked up men in nightclubs; she and her girlfriends then robbed them.
- The honeytrap trick is used many times in 24, most memorably by Mandy
- Cracker episodes "To Say I Love You" and "True Romance" both have female murderers who use sex to entrap their victims
- In the Chuck universe almost every female (and the majority of male) spies are trained in the art of seduction. This includes the heroine, Sarah. Indeed, it's how Sarah meets Chuck in the first episode.
- Karen in Shameless once gave a soldier a blowjob to distract him while the others snuck Ian out of the protected area. It Makes Sense in Context.
- Devonne from The Wire
- Coronation Street. Jez Quigley trapped Steve Mc Donald by getting a pretty girl to flirt with him and lead him to an empty car park
- In Alias Sydney's mother Laura/Irina Derevko was an elaborate trap set up by the Russians to gain info on Project Christmas.
- Emmerdale. When the Dingles wanted revenge on Scott Windsor they got stripper Chastity Dingle to lure him to an empty building with the promise of sex where they kidnapped him
- Stacey Monroe from Hustle frequently acts as honey trap during con tricks
- Also, her replacement, Emma Kennedy, from season 5 onwards.
- On Leverage, this role is usually filled by the Ambiguously Brown Sophie. Though occasionally Parker does this role, although she isn't as effective and Hates Being Touched.
- Leverage also featured an episode where they faked a nonexistent Honey Trap to claim that a Senate seat was going to be vacant.
- Both sides use these in Hogan's Heroes, although given the show's rating it's only limited (onscreen, at least) to makeout sessions. Hogan himself could be considered a male honey trap, given his tendency to seduce even the women of the Gestapo. It's also used by Fraulein Richter on Frau Linkmeyer's fiancee, to discredit him and make it look like he was having an affair before the wedding.
- Battlestar Galactica:
- Caprica Six uses this to get into Baltar's head (and, er, other parts) to steal the codes for the defence network, enabling the Cylons to wipe out the Twelve Colonies. She regrets it.
- Gina Inviere seems to have been doing this with Admiral Cain. Then she was found out. And found herself the prisoner of her mark. On a ship full of survivors of a genocidal massacre perpetrated by her side. She was in for a predictably unpleasant time.
- A variation of this in Eastenders where Billy meets his future wife (called honey) after meeting her in a honey trap to check if somebody's husband is faithful. Honey got confused and mistook Billy for the person she was meant to be checking on so plenty of misunderstanding there.
- Various villains in Buffy the Vampire Slayer use the honeytrap trick. Darla being a notable example.
- Faith likes to pull this one in reverse on the vampires.
- In the LOST episode "The Economist," Sayid and Elsa both play Honey Trap for each other. It doesn't work out for either of them, but they do seem to enjoy themselves along the way.
- Later on in "He's Our You", Sayid falls victim to this at the hands of Ilana the bounty hunter.
- Farscape: Chiana is always flirting with some guy to provide a distraction for the team or get important information. Surprisingly, Sikozu also pulls one in the same trilogy, getting one of the space station employees to trust her so she can get into the system and assist in their escape.
- In an early episode of Wiseguy, OCB undercover agent Vinnie Terranova finds that the mistress of a mobster is actually an undercover policewoman who lampshades the Double Standard involved. "If I were a man I'd be regarded as some kind of James Bond." In the "Counterfeit Yen" arc, an intelligence official who's been hung out to dry by his fellow conspirators orders an escort girl to cheer himself up. He forms a relationship with her over time, and she tells him of a publisher she knows who's willing to offer money to tell his side of the story. It turns out the "publisher" and the girl are both KGB agents who offer him asylum in the Soviet Union. Faced with disgrace and imprisonment in the United States, or exile as a traitor behind the Iron Curtain, he decides to Take a Third Option and shoot himself.
- The Professionals ("The Female Factor"). A young prostitute is used to seduce a politician so he can be blackmailed into passing secrets to the KGB.
- In the 1983 Australian mini-series Scales of Justice a notorious crime boss arranges for one of his escort girls to become the secretary of a (married) politician who is campaigning against him. The two have an affair, and it's revealed that photographs were taken of the event. The crime boss doesn't bother sending the photos to the politican; he simply walks past him at a public event with the girl on his arm. The series ends on the politician's shocked expression.
- In Doctors, an old friend of Julia's asked her to try to seduce her fiancé to prove he was loyal. Unfortunately, Julia got the wrong man.
- The Fixer. Rose Chamberlain was thrown out of the police for trying this tactic, which was deemed "entrapment". She continues to use it to gather information for the protagonists in the series.
- On Gilligan's Island, Ginger was sometimes a PG-rated version of this when Mr. Howell was being a Jerkass, using her to coerce Gilligan with her charms to pry information out of him or getting him to agree to something. It worked on at least one occassion, but on another, it didn't (because the Skipper interrupted her attempt and told Gilligan to stop listening; he did, at which point the Skipper told Ginger, "You can go tell Mr. Howell it didn't work!"
- In the Canadian series Intelligence (2006), the Vancouver Organized Crime Unit routinely uses escorts from a local agency for the espionage version of this. One of the subplots involves an escort eventually becoming an important source of information on a huge corporate conspiracy the man she seduced is involved in.
- In Chris Ryan's Strike Back, a female medical NCO seduces John Porter, an SAS man who has been reactivated to help in the rescue of a journalist. It's revealed to him that she works for Section 20, the section of the Secret Intelligence Service he is working with, in a "honey trap" role. Layla, another Section 20 officer, states that they felt Porter was suffering from "self-esteem issues" including "sexual inadequacy". Basically, he needed to have sex.
- Sue from Glee did this to Principal Figgins in order to get her job back.
- Through flashbacks, we find out in The Big Bang Theory that Leonard's very short-term Asian girlfriend Joyce Kim was actually a North Korean spy trying to get more info about Leonard's government work.
- On Heroes, Noah (while still a Company agent) sends Elle Bishop to seduce Gabriel Gray/Sylar to encourage the development of his powers. Then the whole thing goes belly up when Gabriel discovered she lied to him about not having powers.
- Starsky & Hutch:
- One episode of involved a dance studio whose employees were seducing and then blackmailing wealthy married clients. Hutch reversed the trap, going undercover as a client and sleeping with one of the blackmailers to get them to incriminate themselves.
- In the episode "I Love You, Rosey Malone", Starsky romances the daughter of a mobster in a bid to get information. However, he falls in love with her just as hard as she falls for him, and he winds up disgusted with himself.
- Pretty much a staple of Soap Operas.
- The Thin Blue Line episode "Honey Trap" was about Inspector Fowler and Detective Inspector Grim recruiting Constable Habib to catch a criminal via a honey trap. The criminal arrested her.
- Mentioned by name in Life On Mars; a prostitute asks Sam Tyler for police protection, then drugs him, rapes him, and takes photos so he'll stay in line.
- In The Palace, Princess Eleanor gets her secretary, Simon, to seduce the king's secretary, Abigail, in order to learn what the king is hiding.
- One of these appears in a 1000 Ways to Die case, seducing the political candidate that was The Rival to her boss and then siccing the press on him to ruin his career. She then dies when she develops a fatal allergy that causes her a brain aneurysm through... sneezing too strongly.
- Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: Played for Laughs in "For The Cause". Garak lives on the station. His Arch-Enemy Dukat has a daughter who has recently moved to the station under Major Kira's guardianship. When she asks Garak out on a date, Quark and Garak have an hilarious discussion regarding the possibility of Ziyal being a Honey Trap set up by Kira to kill Garak on Dukat's behalf. Averted; Ziyal's not a honey trap.
- Not played for laughs though when Kira herself uses these tactics to infiltrate a Cardassian-controled area, usually by posing as a prostitute (in "The Homecoming") or a 'comfort girl' ("Wrongs Darker Than Death or Night").
- Once Upon a Time: Regina The Evil Queen tries to cause this trope by telling Belle that True Love's Kiss can heal Rumplestiltskin. It can, and almost does, but Rumple senses this trope in action and furiously tells Belle to leave before he's rendered powerless. Subverted in that Belle wasn't actually intentionally doing this.
- A subversion in Merlin. After her kingdom is invaded, Princess Mithian seeks out King Arthur's help to rescue her father - though she's actually being coerced by a disguised Morgana to lure Arthur out into the wilderness where his enemies lie in wait. Although Mithian is a) attractive and b) Arthur's ex-fiancé, neither (rather oddly) is referred to or made out to be a factor in why Arthur choses to help her. It's this trope played along the lines of Distressed Damsel instead of Femme Fatale, with Mithian used as bait to play on Arthur's altruism rather than his hormones.
- Played straight in the series finale with Gwaine and Eira, yet another of Morgana's Camelot allies. Gwaine does pick up on it after her first betrayal, though, and uses her to feed Morgana false information.
- Nikita does this multiple times, both onscreen and off, though it normally doesn't get as far as sex. Also gender-flipped in a flashback when the target turned out to be gay, and Nikita had Michael backing her up.
- In the Burn Notice episode "Seek and Destroy" Fiona picks up the Villain of the Week's hitman in a bar, in order to mess with the VOTW's head. Michael's commentary explains that being a honey trap isn't actually as easy as it looks.
"Most men have a sense for when a pickup is going too well. If it's too easy, they get suspicious. If it's too hard, they move on."... and ..."Once an operative has a guy on the hook, she needs backup to make sure things don't go too far. The proper sedative for cocktail hour ensures an early evening. Chloral hydrate is a mild but effective choice. ...So long as the target's interested in drinking it." (cue the target actually trying to follow through with Fi, who inflicts Grievous Bottley Harm to subdue him)
- A variation in the Blue Bloods episode "Lonely Hearts Club". Danny and Jackie use the tactics of an anti-prostitution sting (female cop, Jackie in this case, poses as a prostitute) in order to catch a Serial Killer preying on High Class Call Girls.
- In Sherlock, Sherlock himself is willing to do this at one point in order to gain access to a high security office belonging to a villain, starting a relationship with his PA and convincing her to let him go in by showing her an engagement ring over the camera. She dumps him as soon as she figures out he was using her, taking loads of absurdly kinky stories about his sex life to the press and even on television, but it's apparent from their conversation that he couldn't bring himself to go any further with her than kissing.
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyles The Lost World: All of the adventurers except for Summerlee have this played on them frequently. Surprisingly, it doesn't always work.
- Law & Order: Special Victims Unit, being about sex crimes, features more than its share of this trope. Additionally, both female and male detectives have acted as the Honey Trap themselves in order to get suspects to lower their guard and incriminate themselves.
- Stargate Atlantis: This shows up in "The Lost Boys" and "The Hive" two-parter episode. During an infiltration of a Wraith Hiveship, Lt. Colonel Sheppard rescues a cocooned girl, but he and his team are quickly captured by the Wraith and locked up again. She explains that she witnessed how her whole people were annihilated and cuddles up to him for warmth. Sheppard initially tries to comfort her, but when she gets suspiciously inquisitive about the world he comes from, he realizes that it's a ploy. It turns out that she's a Wraith worshipper and a personal pet of the Hive Queen.
- Open Heart: Dylan tries to flirt with Jared in order to distract him. It doesn’t work; he’s really intense about his supply closet getting stocked.
- In the My Own Worst Enemy episode "The Night Train to Moscow", Edward is working with Mariam, a female agent protecting the Kazakh president. They need a high-ranking KGB agent's credentials to break into the Kremlin and save the president. Mariam suggests seducing the man, which Edward agrees is the best option. Once they've gone off with the KGB agent, Mariam excuses herself, and Edward realizes that she meant for him to do the seduction.
- The compromising-position-plus-photograph type happens to Stone in City of Angels.
- EVA in Metal Gear Solid 3 was a shameless homage to the Honey Trap Bond girl. For both sides (Snake and Volgin).
- Made use of in Grand Theft Auto: Vice City. Having gotten hold of a porn studio, Tommy attempts to ensnare governor's wife Martha Shrub (hur hur, get it?) into a photographed tete-a-tete with actress Candi Suxx. He gets the governor instead.
- As part of the plan to rob a casino in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, C. J. seduces a dealer who has an important keycard (as well as some... unusual tastes).
- Grand Theft Auto IV: Michelle is a Honey Trap for the player. A ways into the game, it is revealed that a shadowy organization operating out of a paper company front is using her to get info on Niko.
- Zhores in Absolute Obedience is a rare male example. The whole reason for meeting him is one of his former victims wanting to get revenge.
- In Mass Effect 2 Commander Shepard, either gender, acts as the honey trap for Morinth in Samara's loyalty mission.
- Sonia Reed from Fire Emblem Elibe.
- The League of Legends champion Cassiopeia specialized in this. She would seduce ambassadors who came to visit her father, the second most powerful man in Noxus, and lure out all their secrets. This backfired on her when she tried it on a Freljordian ambassador. He refused to reveal anything until she swore an oath of secrecy upon a runed blade — after which he let himself be embraced by her. When she later went to report the information to her father, she broke the oath. As a result, she went through an agonizing transformation into the gorgon we see her as today.
- In StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty, Tosh refers to Ariel Hanson as bait and/or a trap several times. On the one hand, he's psychic, so he ought to know — but on the other hand, he's also quite possibly violently psychotic (and Hanson is the one who tells you he might be violently psychotic — it's complicated). The jury's still out on what exactly the truth is/was.
- Sayaka Maizono and Celestia "Celes" Ludenberg invoked this in Danganronpa. The first befriended and played sweet to Naegi and even got a protection vow from him... to frame him for a murder she wanted to commit; then she invited Leon to Naegi's room intending to kill him and blame Naegi — but ended up murdered by Leon instead. The second went to Yamada falsely claiming that Ishimaru had tried to rape her, then got him to kill Ishimaru for her and killed Yamada herself — only to be found out and "executed".
- Played with in Alpha Protocol, where the player needs an attractive female to get close to a man. He can suggest she employ her (not inconsiderable) sex appeal or that she use her skill as a reporter. Suggesting she play seductress actually leads to her making a snarky comment about always wanting to be someone's Honey Trap and weakens your relationship with her. Playing up her professional qualifications makes her consider the Player Character more favorably.
- If your Courier in Fallout: New Vegas is female and has the Black Widow perk, you can become this to Benny. When you meet him in the Tops casino, you have a dialogue option that allows you to seduce him. At first, he's rather disturbed and confused that a woman who he shot in the head is hitting on him, but naturally, he goes along with it and leads you up to his suite, dismissing his cadre of heavily-armed guards as well. After a (very funny) off-screen sex scene, you're given the option to snuff him with a pillow while he's asleep. This is one of the easiest ways to snag that Platinum Chip from him.
- To steal a helicopter in Grisaia No Rakuen Millie puts on quite a show for the actual pilot and then knocks him out and steals his uniform when he's successfully lured in.
- Monica from Sluggy Freelance acts as Riff's girlfriend in order to get information for Chilus's cult. Oddly, her ability to keep Riff ensnared seems to be based not so much on sex appeal as "acting like a random nutcase."
- Though it was (hopefully) without any actual sex, recent revelations in Gunnerkrigg Court have shown that Antimony's mother Surma acted as this to Reynard to lure him into the Court to "contain" him. It worked, but at least one person wound up dead and Surma left the Court with Anthony Carver, severing their contact with their friends Anya and Donald Donlan and Surma's then boyfriend James Eglamore.
- In Ow, my sanity, a junior Delta Green agent tried to gather information on David by having his crush seduce him. He turned her down, saying she was either lying or too tsundere for his liking.
- In the Tales Of Gnosis College, Jill Keeney accepts a mission of this sort with the aim of overthrowing a Latin American dictator.
- In Spying With Lana, this is part of Lana's modus operandi.
- In The Gamers Alliance, Anya is sent by the Matheson Crime Family to seduce Nivek Cheavin, the boss of the Nightstalkers, in order to spy on the gang's activities. Haruko Mizushima, posing as a young woman, infiltrated Castle Barjassil in the past by seducing King Anshar who wanted to marry her, and this is how she got closer to the king's treasure chamber to steal a valuable artifact. She later ends up becoming a target of many people who wish to protect her from harm, only for her to reveal later how she'd been using them all for her own ends.
- Vivian from Felarya is well-known for using seduction magic on smaller humanoids, both male and female. Being a 70 foot naga and a predator, she then proceeds to eat the people she seduces.
- Parodied with a Visual Pun in Adventure Time's Season 3 episode "The Party's Over, Isla de Señorita". The Ice King tries to impress/seduce Princess Bubblegum by sneaking into her room with a literal pot of honey and pouring it on her waffles. Spoiler alert: It doesn't work.
- Used and explicated in an episode of Archer — of course, it's one of Archer's favorite operations. Which is why it's a rude shock when his mom sets him up for a honey trap with a male agent (a Cuban operative who would hate to have word of his gayness get back to the rather homophobic Castro) in order to retrieve sensitive info.
- And Archer, being Archer, gets upset when the Cuban turns down his vulgar come-ons. "'Not my type'? I'm EVERYONE'S type!"
- Happens again near the end of the Season 5, with Archer himself as the victim. After being seduced by the wife of the Central American Republic of San Marcos' dictator Gustavo Calderón, he is repeatedly blackmailed at the threat of having her expose the affair to her husband... into having more affairs with her. Mercilessly lampshaded by Malory.
"That's the honey pot! How could you fall for it? It's espionage 101!"
- Beware the Batman: "Wayne hooked. Awaiting instructions." Sent by Bethanie Ravencroft.
- Mata Hari
- A method used by men to force women into prostitution is to seduce the woman, and then use the established relationship to press her into prostitution with emotional blackmailing. A variant, used by pedophiles, is to initiate cybersex via skype, and then use the data material to blackmail the teenager into doing more more and more explicit things in front of the webcam.
- In the 50's, the KGB wanted to gather blackmail material on Indonesian president Ahmed Sukarno. They had a group of young women pose as stewardesses on his flight, then take him back to his hotel room for an orgy. It didn't go as expected: When the KGB showed Sukarno the film, he thanked them for a lovely night and asked for a copy of the film to take home with him.
- Murder victim Bobby Kent went out with his "friends"/killers because he was promised sex with one of them.
- Luring gay men down to Africa and then blackmailing them (because homosexuality is very illegal in most countries) is a common form of romance fraud.
- Honey traps were one of the most common missions for female ninja, or kunoichi. They would be sent to seduce an important target, and either interrogate him via pillow talk, use the threat of revealing the thing to blackmail him, or assassinate him during or after the deed. Kunoichi were trained, like all ninja, in the creation and use of a wide variety of drugs and poisons, and many were trained in the use of a special kind of concealed daggernote , making them deadly assassins even when naked.
- Similarly, in ancient China, beautiful women were often sent as peace offerings—even if they didn't act as spies, they often did at the very least distract their targets from their usual duties and inspire jealousy among the other men (and women) of the court. (It's why The Thirty-Six Stratagems advises the utility of such women.)
- Apparently there were some cases where beautiful women were sent as tribute/ransom. Said women having been infected with STDs. Guess what happened next...
- The first sex scandal in the history of the US government: a man set his wife to seduce Alexander Hamilton, and then pretended to be outraged and threatened to go to the newspapers in order to extort money.
- Bait cars (cars set by the police as traps for car thieves) are often called "honeypots". Unprotected computers that are attached to the internet specifically to serve as bait for malicious hackers can also be known as honeypots.
- Katrina Leung worked as a double agent for China and the FBI. She seduced several FBI employees including her FBI handler which got her information of use to China
- Cheryl Bentov, aka Cindy, an American Mossad agent, seduced a former Israeli nuclear technician who had disclosed Israeli nuclear secrets by posing as an American tourist, becoming his lover and persuading him to go to Italy with her, where he was kidnapped and smuggled to Israel.
- In 2006 a British Defense Attache in Pakistan was brought back to the UK after it emerged a girlfriend/lover of his was a Pakistani Intelligence Officer. There are sources which say his actions compromised Western operatives and operations in Pakistan but the British government deny this.
- A North Korean woman Wong Jeong-Hwa was imprisoned in 2008 after she admitted seducing South Korean military officers in exchange for classified information.
- A US diplomat was photographed in a "compromising situation" with a female Polish in 1961 and was blackmailed into revealing secrets.
- In 1987 a US Marine Sergent embassy guard in Moscow called Clayton J. Lonetree was convicted of spying against the United States for handing over documents he was assigned to after being honeytrapped and blackmailed by a female Soviet Officer.
- Anna Chapman, who pled guilty to acting as a agent for a foreign government, has been described in the media as a "modern day Mata Hari" and a "honeytrap" for obtaining a British passport by marrying a British man and allegedly having affairs with prominent businessmen. Never say this in Northern England, though, as it will only get people angry and insulted, considering how much of a cult figure she is there. Needless to say, she is (for now) legally unable to enter the United Kingdom.
- Similarly alleged Russian spy Katja Zatuliveter, who worked as a researcher for the BBC and a politicians PA, has been labeled a honeytrap and "blonde temptress" by the UK press who strongly imply the MP in question hired her out of lust and didn't do the proper background checks.
- During the Cold War, British Secretary of State for War John Profumo was accused of putting national security at risk by having a sexual relationship with alleged call girl Christine Keeler, who was reputed to also be sleeping with Eugene Ivanov a senior Naval Attache at the Soviet Embassy in London.
- MI5 sent out a 14 page document to British banks, businesses and financial institutions warning about a danger Chinese intelligence services blackmailing Western businesspeople over sexual relationships.
- Russian model Ekaterina Gerasimova was allegedly employed by Kremlin to seduce at least half a dozen of their high profile critics to destroy their reputations and for blackmail purposes.
- An aide of former British Prime Minister Gordon Brown had his Blackberry stolen by a woman who picked him up in a nightclub.
- When a lawsuit couldn't be delivered to Mick Jagger, an attractive young woman was sent to ask to see him backstage. He let her in and promptly got served (both literally and figuratively).
- Another British MP Ian Clement admitted he was seduced by a woman in Beijing he suspects of working for Chinese intelligence.
- A 16 year old British girl was convicted of murder for leading her boyfriend to a block of flats where she knew a group of teenage boys were waiting to attack him.
- In 2010 two Icelandic women living in London admitted conspiracy to rob by acting as a honey traps for a violent criminal gang. The judge apparently fell for their charms too as he let them walk free despite at least one of the men who was robbed being beaten and threatened with a gun.
- Spy Sylvia Rafael has been called a Mossad honey trap.
- During the Vietnam War, one of the largest intel sources for the Viet Cong and North Vietnamese intelligence operations were bars and brothels catering to American GIs.
- Prostitution stings, where a female cop goes undercover as a sex worker to arrest anyone who employs her services are well-known in cities. The morality of this practice makes it controversial, and it is not as commonly used nowadays.
- The inversion of this trope involves male cops who pretend to be potential clients and arrest any prostitutes who proposition them.
- Consumer activist Ralph Nader wrote a book criticizing the automobile industry in America. General Motors responded by hiring private detectives to tap his phones, and investigate his past. When that revealed nothing that could be used to discredit him, they hired some prostitutes to come on to him and trap him in compromising situations. It didn't work.
- Nader successfully sued General Motors and the New York Court of Appeals expanded tort law to include "overzealous surveillance," covering both the investigations and the prostitution set-ups.
- WW 2 American spy Betty Pack used her feminine wiles to get an Italian naval attache to give her the Italian Naval Code book (some say he gave her fake codes but the Italian fleets movements were predicted much more accurately suggesting he didn't) and seduced the French Embassy's press attache who gave her information to use against the Nazis.
- A Taiwanese Army Major General Lo Hsien-che was drawn into a honey trap set by a "tall, beautiful and chic" Chinese agent and supplied her with top secret information in exchange for sex and money in what has been described as the worst Espionage case in Taiwan for 50 years
- In the 70's and 80's The Children of God got their female members to use a method called "Flirty Fishing" which means using their sexuality - anything from flirting to full sex - to convert men to the cult. They kept exact records of their "fruits" (successes), a 1988 statistic showed that more than 223,000 men had been "fished". The cult also used Flirty Fishing to curry favours with local men of influence such as business men, politicians or police.
- Fili Houtteman and two accomplices were given suspended sentences after it was found that photos of her cavorting naked with Daniel Ducruet, the husband of Princess Stephanie Grimaldi, were taken after he was ensnared by her in a honey trap.
- One very bizarre incident involved Frenchman Bernard Boursicot, who attempted to woo Chinese opera singer Shi Peipu, who also happened to be a spy for China and convinced him to engage in low-level spying for the Chinese government; only for (several years later) Peipu to be revealed to be male and the child that was supposedly fathered by Boursicot having been purchased from a doctor. This incident ended up inspiring the Very Loosely Based on a True Story play M. Butterfly.
- Rose O'Neal Greenhow. She was a Southern socialite and spy for the Confederacy during the American Civil War. She was hugely successful because men seemed incapable of refusing her anything. On multiple occasions, she seduced Union officers and politicians to where they were willing to betray their duty (and left a few suicides in her wake).
- A young woman Nancy Michelle Mendoza stood trial for entrapping wealthy businessmen this way for a San Diego gang to hold hostage.
- During the investigation into the horrendous murder of single mother Rachel Nickell, London cops tried to frame up a local man called Colin Stagg, their preferred and only suspect. The problem was, while Stagg was undoubtedly the sort of oddball loner with a slightly tarnished past who might have graduated to sex murder, nothing tied him to the crime, he had an alibi, and he repeatedly refused to confess, even under heavy pressure. So a WPC was recruited to be a "whore for the law" and to befriend him, first by mail and then in person, and to do all it took to get him to confess. Stagg was convicted of the horrendous murder on very dodgy evidence. This ecxhos police practice in the Barry Bulsara case, where another loner oddball was fitted up for the murder of TV presenter Jill Dando. Lots easier to frame a local oddball than to go out and find the real killer, eh, Met? Unfortunately for the Met, an appeal court threw out the charges against Stagg and he received compensation for false imprisonment.
- During the Great Northern War, Charles XII of Sweden overran Saxony and decided to keep his army there for a year of rest. The Elector of Saxonynote sent his Swedish-born mistress to meet the King at his headquarters, hoping she could induce him to end the war and get out of the Elector's land. Charles absolutely refused to see her.
- In a minor scale, it's not uncommon for some thief gangs to have pretty women as their members - with the specific "mission" to distract male victims while the othes rob them silly.
- In the old Soviet Union, there was a division of the KGB known as the "Sparrow School" that would train female agents to use sexual manipulation for information gathering purposes.