A funny fantasy novel written by Robert Rankin
. It is about Jack, a young boy who runs away
from home to a nearby city to seek his fortune. This city turns out to be Toy City
, a dystopia with Living Toys
. He befriends Eddie Bear
, a teddy bear private detective, and investigates the serial murders of nursery rhyme characters. Followed by The Toyminator
a few years later.
This novel provides examples of:
- Awesome Moment of Crowning: Eddie becomes the mayor at the end. Jack becomes an "honorary prince"
- Big Eater: Humpty Dumpty, when he was alive.
- Big Damn Heroes: Jill.
- Bizarrchitecture: the houses are made of alphabet blocks.
- Clock Punk: Everything from guns to cars run on clockwork mechanisms. As do, unsurprisingly, some of the toys.
- Da Chief: Chief Inspector Wellington Bellace
- Deadpan Snarker: Eddie
- The Ditz: Tinto. Jack might also be considered a ditz.
- Evil Twin: Sredna Sredna.
- Fake Defector: Jack, at one point.
- Genre Savvy: Jack has read aaallll the Bill Winkie Thrillers
- Giant Spider: Miss Muffet's spider.
- Greed: Jack seeks fortune.
- I Need a Freaking Drink
- Inexplicably Identical Individuals: All humans look the same to toys.
- Interspecies Romance: Subverted. Eddie is sickened by the idea of this. It is played straight with Garth and the dancing doll.
- I Surrender, Suckers: Done quite a bit near the climax.
- Jive Turkey: Randolph the delivery boy.
- King of All Cosmos: Big Box Fella Mr. Anders
- Lampshade Hanging: Quite a bit of it.
- Living Toys
- MacGuffin: The Key. Lampshaded.
- Nice Character, Mean Actor: Miss Muffet.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: Officer Chortle looks, and probably is, extremely stupid, but at one point he cunningly tricks Jack to admit falsely he is a murderer.
- Posthumous Character: Bill Winkie
- Really 700 Years Old: Eddie, Tinto, the nursery rhyme characters and probably many of the Toy City residents.
- Rhymes on a Dime: The Rhymey Frog.
- Running Gag: Jack is called a gormster by everyone.
- Rich Bitch: Miss Muffet.
- Sdrawkcab Name: Sredna Sredna.
- Shape Shifter: Sredna Sredna.
- Snarky Non-Human Sidekick: Eddie, although Jack may be the sidekick in this relationship.
- Stuffed In The Fridge: Bill Winkie, Humpty Dumpty, Boy Blue, Mother Goose, Wibbly, Jack Sprat, Tommy Tucker and Jack Horner. Although the protagonists only really care about a few of them.
- Talks Like a Simile: Subverted. Eddie tries to talk like a simile, but he can never finish. It's as unfair asó.
- Toy Time: Although it's not a videogame.
- Why Don't Ya Just Shoot Him?
- Younger Than They Look: Jack looks 16, but is really only 13. He's merely tall for his age.
- You Wanna Get Sued?: At least twice.