Hogwarts Exposed Timeline
A work by one acgoldis of AlternateHistory.com
, not to be confused with another fanfic by the name of Hogwarts Exposed
. Can be found here
if you're a member of said site. It focuses on what happens when Harry Potter is seen by a Muggle camera flying by on a broomstick, which starts off a chain of events leading to his his secret wizarding world
. Stuff happens
For those without membership to AH.com, the story can now be found here
as a regular fanfic, which members from the site intend to update with permission from the author, who has finally completed the timeline.
Tropes in this timeline:
- Absurdly Sharp Blade: just about any enchanted bladed weapon.
- Alternate History: The world of Hogwarts Exposed is DEFINITELY different from the world we know and love.
- An earlier War On Terror
- Complete with an invasion of Afghanistan
- With magic
- Alternate History Wank: by merit of mostly using Harry Potter rules for magic, or rather, lack thereof.
- Alien Space Bats: Of course we all know that there is no such thing as magic, right?
- Attending Your Own Funeral: Hermione in Update 500
- Beethoven Was an Alien Spy: Many historical/religious figures are/were wizards.
- Back from the Dead: Voldemort with his many Horcruxes. And Hermione in Update 500.
- Then again, there are also ghosts that somewhat show this trope.
- Rebecca Nurse, Salem Witch Trial victim
- Prophet Samuel of the Old Testament
- Big Eater: Merpeople in cold water, due to Bizarre Alien Biology.
- Disney Death: Hermione dies in the last battle. Or did she?
- Doorstopper: The author has written two hundred chapters and is expecting more. Mind you, each update is a thousand words long on average. In fact, he expects to finish the work in three years, assuming he writes one update every day-and-a-half.
- Easily Forgiven: Nobody makes a fuss of how wizards had been constantly messing with peoples minds or any other abuse about Free will, assaulting, bartering or terrorist enterprise (hacking and liberatin malicious Virus into National Internet, sensure mail, bugging Telephones lines around the country, attack in military bases etc...). And in fact wizards are put as the victims of the story.
- It's not like everyone forgave them so easily. That's one of the reasons X for Humans groups gathered such a following, and actually managed to force the wizards to police themselves by rather extreme means.
- Evil Sorcerer: Voldemort. Some of his underlings are more...up to date.
- Expy: Reverend Pitmoss is actually described as a more violent Fred Phelps. Which is ironic, considering that Fred Phelps actually exists in-universe.
- Flying Car: Proudly brought to you by Arthur Weasley and the Bentley company.
- For Want of a Nail: Harry and his entourage, while en route to the Ministry Of Magic safehouse on broomsticks, get caught on tape by a Muggle recording device called a "video camera"
- From Bad to Worse: Death Eaters + Al Qaeda. Or, in other words, magic + terrorism.
- Hidden Elf Village: about a dozen very large islands, not to mention the canon hidden places in Muggle countries like Hogwarts.
- Humanity Ensues: a frequently used Trapanandan spell
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: To absolute ridiculous levels. One Obliviator managed to obliviate 95% of the entire Superbowl stadium (70,401). Besides the time it would take to do this even with aparition and how to do it in secret, Strong bear should have died by Magic depletion by the 1% of the population... if he was an extremely strong Wizard.
- Magic A Is Magic A: It's discovered that magic is powered by dark energy, and being a wizard is a genetic thing.
- Magitek - It's present in the original Harry Potter series, but taken Up to Eleven here. Various projects attempt to combine the best aspects of magic and technology. Flying cars, that run on magic instead on oil? Already there. Space travel? They are working on it.
- Military applications, on the other hand, are largely unprecedented.
- Nuclear Option: After New York City and Miami are hit by nuclear devices, President Clinton orders the USS Alabama (SSBN-731) to launch Trident missiles on Pyongyang, North Korea.
- Our Liches Are Different: Horcruxes. 'nuff said.
- It's worth saying that the mythical Ur Example of lichdom, Koschei the Deathless is preparing his return...
- Power Limiter: Unbreakable Oaths are forced on the wizards. Though theoretically Muggles could also take those, but so far no-one demanded that.
- Secret Intelligence Service: Sirius Black is a part of this.
- Take Over the World: Voldermort wants to rule the world too.
- The End of the World as We Know It: very, VERY narrowly avoided.
- The Mole: Draco Malfoy
- The Unmasqued World: The very premise.
- No Such Thing as Wizard Jesus: played with. Some biblical characters associated with miracles turn out to be wizards, but not Jesus so far.
- Nuke 'em: What Death Eater-sponsored Al Qaeda does to London
- Royals Who Actually Do Something: The Hapsburg and Romanov families were at least partially wizards.
- Starfish Language: Mermish. Dolphish.
- Selective Obliviousness: Wizards don't know what a television or the Superbowl is, but had a magical computer virus on hand.
- It depends on the wizard. Tech-savvy wizards whose job it is to stay aware of the Muggle world have knowledge of all of these things. The common wizard doesn't.
- Semper Fi: The 24th Marine Expeditionary Unit participates in the Battle of Buyan Island. Also, United States Marines stand watch over Hermione's casket. Hermione befriends a female Marine helicopter pilot before the Final Battle.
- United Nations: International Confederation Of Wizards
- It's based in Atlantis
- It is very, VERY powerful.
- Western Terrorists: Britain For Humans and America For Humans. Basically any anti-wizard group based in the West.
- We All Live in America: Obviously by the Tropes above, the entire story is written with the United States in mind and most changes, social transformations and advances are done in here (The Maskarade break was done by the President Clinton). Going to ridiculous levels with the Magic World (We all live in Britannia) since all the spells, weapons, institutions and abilities are exactly the same regardless of Nation or Culture.