open/close all folders
- In the 1968 Planet of the Apes film the gorilla soldiers carry Lugers, which could be this or a clue that it's Earth All Along.
- The RoboCop franchise has a couple good example with Robo's famous "Auto-9" handgun being played by a modified Beretta 93R and the "Cobra Assault Cannon" being played by an M82 Barrett sniper rifle.
- Said famous Auto-9 handgun reappears in the film version of City Hunter as the weapon of choice for the Big Bad.
- Serenity shows the crew finding a World War II era German Flak 30/38 20mm anti-aircraft gun and strapping it to the ship's hull to pass as reavers
- The original Star Wars films were the Trope Codifier with all weapons props being created from military surplus stocks and then visually modified to look futuristic.
- Han's DL-44 blaster is, quite obviously, a C96 "Broomhandle" Mauser pistol.
- The standard Imperial E-11 blasters were made from surplus British Sterling submachine guns.
- The DLT-19 heavy blaster rifle was a modified German MG-34 machinegun, parts of which were also used in the prequel DC-15A blaster rifle.
- The DLT-20 blaster rifle was constructed from German StG-44 assault rifles.
- In Total Recall (1990) and a number of other films set 20 Minutes into the Future the Calico Light Weapon System has become quite popular.
- Timecop armed the protagonist with a Taurus PT99AF pistol with bits added to bulk up the slide. The same weapon has since appeared in multiple other places including a few appearances late in Stargate SG-1.
- The lawgiver from Dredd is a Glock 17 with a heap of extras added to it.
- Demolition Man features an HK G11 concept rifle from the 1980's playing the part of a "Neutron Accelerator".
- The "futuristic" U.S. Police Force guns in Escape from New York are blatantly just M-16s with the handguards removed.
Live Action TV
- Firefly uses a huge variety of real and modified-but-recognizable guns. Mal's pistol is a Taurus 85 revolver with bits glued on to make it look like a semiautomatic. Jayne's beloved Vera was modified from a Saiga-12 semi-auto shotgun, and his sidearm is a Civil War-Era Lemat revolver with what looks like a universal mount on top of the pistol barrel and some sheathing around the shotgun barrel. Zoe's favored weapon is a Mare's Leg sawed off rifle (with a couple vaguely Space Western modifications) which first made an appearance with Steve McQueen in Wanted: Dead or Alive before being defictionalized.
- In Doctor Who, on a first glance the Sontaran's weapon's look like the sort of sleek, futuristic weapons you would expect them to have. Except if you play laser tag you'll recognise the "gun" when it gets a close up.....
- The Canaries in Red Dwarf carry modified MP5s and Glock pistols on suicide missions. The Steyr AUG is carried by ship's security personnel, but with no modifications.
- In 2012 after the Free Syrian Army captured 70 year-old World War 2 surplus stocks of German Sturmgewehr 44 assault rifles they started turning up in various rebel videos.