is a free, browser-based MMO Football management simulator, developed and started in 1997 by Swedish programmer Björn Holmér and his development company ExtraLives AB. It can be seen as a direct competitor to the Football Manager
series, especially Football Manager Live
. Currently in its 53rd season (each season lasts 110 days), the game boasts over 800,000 users from almost every country on Earth.
The game has examples of the following tropes:
- Bribing Your Way to Victory: Hattrick Supporter gives you a lot more stats and the ability to actually see your players and give them custom jerseys, but you don't need it to actually play the game.
- After recent changes non-Supporters are given more informations than before - the game is trying to be more newbie-friendly.
- Death Is Not Permanent: But firing is.
- Endless Game: Well, except for the seasons, just like real football.
- One Stat to Rule Them All: Although reduced in later seasons, early on the team that had the stronger midfield usually won, meaning that the Playmaking stat was pretty much the only one that mattered.