The game has examples of the following tropes:
- Bribing Your Way to Victory: Hattrick Supporter gives you a lot more stats and the ability to give your players custom jerseys, but you don't need it to actually play the game.
- After recent changes non-Supporters are given more informations than before - the game is trying to be more newbie-friendly.
- Death Is Not Permanent: But firing is (though some can come back as coaches, PR managers, and even referees).
- Endless Game: Well, except for the seasons, just like real football.
- One Stat to Rule Them All: Although reduced in later seasons, early on the team that had the stronger midfield usually won, meaning that the Playmaking stat was pretty much the only one that mattered.