Hat Quest is a series of 'quests' (stories told in a similar manner to Ruby Quest
) that follows the events that unfurl from a 'medical lich' named Hattori Delarosa claiming an artifact known only as The Hat
, a felt tophat that is capable of bending space. The story is told via text alone, unlike many other quests on the same site, using images gathered by Google and other sources when needed or introducing new characters.
Notable for the heavy development of the main character from in the style of Franken Fran
to a kind and caring old man whose motto is "Everyone deserves a second chance."
The full story unfolds over a trilogy of quests, each taking place in the same universe, and each one in the next generation after the last one.
Archives and wiki article are accessable by way of this friendly link.
This quest provides examples of:
- Action Girl: Almost every female in the series. Then again, considering how Hattori tends to meet women, this is somewhat par for course.
- And I Must Scream: It is explained that souls used to create weapons are often still able to perceive things, in a vague and distorted manner. So one can only imagine how it might feel to have that happen against one's wishes.
- Blade on a Stick: Ella's preferred weapon.
- Chaos Architecture: An extremely fast-acting version is working in the Dungeon, a place where the trickster gods create millions upon millions of rooms to baffle adventurers of different difficulties and essentially set them to shuffle.
- Cool Hat: The Hat, capable of not only storing a near infinite amount of mass, is also capable of being used as a small portal or firing stored mass as a cannon. It's also capable of decapitation and limb displacement.
- Neglectful Precursors: While the Gods who created the land are still around and take an active hand in events on the main plane, it's somewhat noticeable that Hell gets no such treatment, resulting almost in the outright destruction of the whole universe.