aka: Victory Dance
"Scuse me while I do my happy dance!"
This trope is, well... a dance that a character does when they're happy. Maybe it's time to celebrate. Maybe it's time to make themselves feel better. Maybe their excitement just overflows into action. Maybe they just want to pat themselves on the back. Whatever the reason may be, they quickly bust a couple of moves. The Happy Dance! Also known as a victory dance
May even be a signature moment for the character (for example, this picture may seem awfully familiar). See also Victory Pose
Contrast Angry Dance
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- In Dragon Ball Z, Captain Ginyu performs a Dance of Joy for Frieza. He tried. All things considered we shouldn't blame Frieza for refusing this *ahem* generous offer.
- Yotsuba&!: "What's goin' on!? It's the Daddy Dance!" Performed when Koiwai finished a big work project (see chapter 11).
- One Piece's Chopper has a trademark happy dance which he burst into every time someone gives him a compliment. He tries to act like he doesn't want their praise, and calls them assholes while wiggling his hips and grinning ear-to-ear.
- Death Note: Ryuk + apple = Happy Dance. In the second intro.
- In Yu-Gi-Oh!: Capsule Monsters, Joey and Tristan do a silly victory dance a couple of times.
- In Get Backers, Ginji occasionally does a happy-happy dance by going chibi and waving victory fans.
- Ash's Totodile always seemed to be in a Happy Dance sort of mood.
- Misty's Togepi.
- In Axis Powers Hetalia, Russia does this after he defeats Poland and Lithuania.
- Koskov's Narm-inducing dance in The Living Daylights.
- George C Scott as Scrooge does a happy dance in A Christmas Carol 1984 after he realises that he still has time to change his course of life. Characteristically, Scott's intensity of portrayal helps to make the scene heartwarming.
- Walter Huston's dance from Treasure Of The Sierra Madre, echoed and parodied repeatedly in City Slickers 2: The Legend of Curly's Gold.
- The Party has an entire group of people do this when the Russian ballet troupe arrives, though Peter Sellers' character (who has just saved a girl from her creepy Hollywood agent) exhibits the most excellent example.
- Done to very disturbing effect by Mr. Blonde in Reservoir Dogs.
- Do the Dance in Evan Almighty.
- The "Tequila" dance in Pee Wee Hermans Big Adventure.
- The 2010 Alice in Wonderland: " I shall futterwacken... vigorously.
- The Mamushka from the Addams Family movie. As crazy as you would expect any tradition of that family to be and utterly awesome.
- In Baseketball, Coop is forced to do the happy dance when depressed.
- Les Grossman has one at the end of Tropic Thunder after the documentary of of the making of Tropic Thunder becomes a successful film in its own right.
- In Tangled, Rapunzel starts dancing in the city once her hair is braided, and draws people into the Dance Line.
- If You Believe: Susan Stone is an editor. She performs a Happy Dance when she phones Dilly, her biggest star among her writers. She learns that he finally overcame his Writer's Block. That's quite a reason to celebrate, right?
- In The Last Boy Scout, Joe Hallenbeck tells Jimmy Dix that if he survives their adventure, "I'm gonna dance a jig." After he defeats The Dragon, that's exactly what he does.
- It's mentioned at the end of Isard's Revenge that Wedge was so happy to find that Wes Janson hadn't died at around the book's midpoint that he performed an "Ewok dance of joy".
- Nikki does a "Happy Snoopy Dance" in The Dork Diaries.
- Harry, Hermione, and the Weasley kids are all said to break into a group happy dance when Harry is acquitted of underage wizardry charges in Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.
- Referenced in Jeeves and Wooster a couple times; Bertie tends to be rather demonstrative when sudden joy hits him.
Live Action TV
- Balki's Dance of Joy from Perfect Strangers.
- Turk has many of these (including the "you are so getting a piece of this" dance, the "there's a sale on lotion" dance and the "I'm gonna cut you open" dance). At one point, JD is shown to have a Happy Dance coach.
- Elliot has, on two occassions, displayed her "I Told You So" dance.
- Two and a Half Men: Five, Six, Seven, Eight! No more alimony! No more alimony! No more alimony! No more alimony!
- Numfar! Do the Dance of Joy!
- At the end of "Disharmony", Wesley makes a speech about how time and space are the only things that can fix the recent rifts in Team Angel...only for Cordelia to come bounding in, squeeing over the new clothes Angel bought her. It gets funnier when Angel joins in.
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer:
- There's Anya's "Dance of Capitalist Superiority."
- Xander once does the "Snoopy Dance" for Willow.
- Maury: You are NOT the father!
- Ellen Degeneres may secretly be the Anthropomorphic Personification of the Happy Dance.
- Chandler Bing from Friends has one after they had a heart-to-heart talk with Monica, reassuring each other that they feel serious about their secret relationship. When Monica leaves, she senses that he's doing it and she says without looking back: "Don't do the dance."
- Martin Short's character Ed Grimley, on SCTV and Saturday Night Live, often does one upon receiving good news: "I'm going mental!"
- James May on Top Gear does an "ancient victory dance" when he bests the others in a challenge.
- Parker did a version of this after getting the dagger in "The Rashomon Job" on Leverage.
- On The Late Late Show, whenever Craig Ferguson brings out Secretariat, EVERYBODY dances!!!
- Monk: Monk does the jig after solving the case in "Mr. Monk Gets Fired".
- In Phil of the Future, Phil and Keely each do one of these after they make plans to go to the dance together in "Get Ready To Go Go".
- Malcolm in the Middle: The show has one in Sarcasm Mode. "Happy dance, happy dance, we love to do the happy dance." "Happier!!"
- LazyTown: "Bing Bang DIGGARIGGADONG!"
- Spaced has a standard Happy Dance routine that crops up a few times to the exact same tune — walk jauntily down the street, click heels, head a football that flies out of nowhere, hug bewildered stranger. Tim does it, later in the episode Brian tries but manages to mess up every step. In a later episode, Tim and Bilbo do it side by side.
- Ba Wool from Flower Boy Ramyun Shop does a happy dance after he gets a kiss on the cheek from Soo Yi. Eun Bi smacks him around the head for being stupid.
- On Sherlock, Sherlock does one of these — literally leaping into the air, whirling about the room, shouting "It's Christmas!" and kissing Mrs Hudson — when he's called in to investigate a fourth mysterious serial suicide.
- In an episode of How I Met Your Mother, it's revealed that Marshall does happy dances so often that he got "dancer's hip", an injury common among ballerinas.
- On Saturday Night Live's Church Lady sketches by Dana Carvey, the character would go into a strutting "Superior Dance" whenever she thinks she has proven her superiority over anybody.
- Squacky from The Pajanimals is known for breaking into one and one of the show's songs is all about happy dances.
- Lindsey Stirling sings about how "We're in Europe! We're here in Europe right now, gonna be awesome, so excited!" whilst doing some kind of dance across the screen and back again.
- The current page image is Snoopy's iconic Happy Dance from Peanuts. One time, Charlie Brown celebrates getting the better of the dog with a mocking happy dance of his own.
- Dilbert: Dilbert and Wally have done "victory dances" at work, incorporating such moves as Russian-dancing kicks and "turbo mooning."
- Garfield: Garfield does the Happy Dance occasionally, like when he hears the automatic can opener.
- These are very much employed by NFL players (often called Endzone Dances), despite the heavy fines that are handed down from the No Fun League...err...National Football League.
- Tennis star Serena Willams did the 'Crip Walk' after winning gold at the 2012 Olympic Games.
- The Minnesota Lynx of the WNBA and their fans dance to Sugar Hill Gang Apache's "Jump On It" after home wins.
- When Steve Martin was doing stand-up, he would get frequent attacks of "Happy Feet".
- The captain's Happy Dance in Schlock Mercenary was so prevalent, that when he is gone for a while, the team points correctly points out when he would have been doing the dance.
- Dominic Deegan: Grenchka learns from Dominic that the "Butcher", the bogeyman of the orcs, is dead, and asks him to cover his eyes so she can sing "Iakka takka" (happy dance) and do a little jig. The reason she asks him to cover his eyes is because said butcher was the father of Siegfried, one of his acquaintances, and while he does so, he gripes, "I can still hear you."
- Suicide for Hire: Hunter's Happy Gun Dance, done upon realising that he's gotten away with buying guns with a fake ID.
- Victory Dance! Problem Sleuth gained a level!
- In Homestuck, right before the end of act 5, Courtyard Droll does such a dance after accomplishing his mission to assassinate Jade.
- Questionable Content has Happy Dances from Steve and Ellen, Marten (offscreen), Dora and Marten, Marigold, and Angus twice.
- In On the Origin Of PCs, Elan does one of these after Roy hires him for his adventuring party.
Elan: Yeah, I'm doin' the Gainful Employment Dance! Yeah I am! Look at me! Look at me!
Roy: Why do I get the feeling that when future historians look back on my life, they'll pinpoint this exact moment as when everything began to really go downhill for me?
- Max's "Dance" cap in Max Overacts.
- In Faux Pas, Randy wants to do one when some cats leave.
- Both John and Hank Green of the Vlog Brothers have their own happy dances. They are generally performed when good things happen, as is to be expected.
- The online community Nerdfighters has a signature happy dance, actually called, "the happy dance." See it here.
- Doctor Steel jauntily dances at the end of Episode 1 of The Dr. Steel Show. There is also a section on his website where you can make him do several dance moves to some old-timey music. In Caleb Allen's Fan Vid of "Lament for a Toy Factory", the actor playing Dr. Steel breaks into these dance moves as the helicopter spotlight hits him - and the music from the website begins to play.
- On a Donation Drive video, The Nostalgia Critic gleefully victory dances after he got Christopher Lloyd to say "I was frozen today". It's ridiculously adorable.
- The Nostalgia Chick does this too after she decides she enjoys doing movies other than girly ones, and hers is the "frolicking in a field" variety.
- Dragon Ball Abridged's Captain Ginyu not only has the Dance of Joy, under orders from King Cold to perform every successful mission, but also the Daddy's Little Princess Dance, under Cooler's orders, the Dance of Cheering You Up for when Frieza's attempt to use the Dragon Balls fails, and finally, the Dance of Solitude!
- The Autobiography of Jane Eyre: Jane is doing a happy dance — mainly waving her arms — when she tells her viewers that she's got a reply from a prospective employer, Grace Poole. See it here.
- A non-example from WW 2 propaganda when footage of Hitler stamping his foot in joy was edited together to make it look like he was dancing.
- Rabbits do a happy dance called a binky. They jump into the air, and kick out their legs while in the air, with or without a butt waggle.
- Ferrets do an adorable dance when excited. Fans have dubbed this the "Weasel War Dance", after a line from a Dilbert comic. They also use it to disorient prey while hunting.
- Most owners of Pembroke Welsh corgis (the tail-less kind) could probably tell you all about the happy corgi butt wiggle dance.
- George Takei. Oh my.