Hamish Blake and Andy Lee are an Australian Comedy Duo
who, while most famous for their radio shows, have also dabbled in television; the two are something of an ubiquitous force in Australian media, regularly making guest spots on panel shows and the like. Their most famous effort is The Hamish & Andy Show
, a weekly (daily until 2011) afternoon radio program on the Today Network. After several years of doing television specials on Network Ten
, the Nine Network
signed a two-year television deal with the duo from 2011 onward; the first related production was Hamish & Andy's Gap Year
, telling of their experiences in New York (during which they somehow managed to interview Hillary Clinton
The duo have a joint Twitter account
Tropes related to this comedy duo:
- Ascended Extra: Cackling Jack, who allegedly started out on work experience, is now pretty much the third member of the comedy duo. Though there are several behind-the-scenes guys who are more important then him, he appears on mic more then any one else other than Hamish and Andy.
- There used to be Giggling Ben but he rarely spoke on the show and now works elsewhere in the station
- But Not Too Evil: During a sketch about the idea about making a new version of Google Maps called Google Treasure Maps that would be tailored specifically for pirates. One of the pirates mentioned his intention of using the map to find a port were he could pillage and “inappropriately touch” women.
- "El Niño" Is Spanish for "The Niño": "El Paso is Spanish for the Paso."
- Golden Snitch: A game called Random John, in which a random phone number is dialed. If the person who answers the phone is called “John Johnson”, the caller gets 50 "john points", making it something of a golden snitch. However, since they have been playing this game for over three months and still have not gotten a single john point, even getting a “John” could qualify as at least a silver snitch.
- Insistent Terminology: Hamish's habit of referring to Andy's house as the Lair, to the point where his apartment in New York which Andy called The Nook eventually became known as the Lair after three weeks.
- Hamish also calls Andy a prowler (ever since his breakup with Megan Gale) and himself Andy's love coach, despite Andy's strenuous objections.
- Name and Name, in conjunction with The Eponymous Show.
- Overly Narrow Superlative: "This was going to be the greatest thing we had ever seen... at a Thai rocket festival."
- Self-Deprecation: When Hamish put on some weight, many jokes were made about it; Hamish made more jokes about it than Andy did.
- Straight Man: Andy; though he can still be quite silly, he's usually less so than Hamish.
- Shipper on Deck: Invoked, Hamish has decided that Andy has a crush on DJ Havana Brown
- Memetic Badass: Not Steven Seagal, but his drink, LIGHTNING BOLT!!!!
- Uncanny Valley: The Ultimate Baby Wingman.