Yes, yes, we all know Girl-on-Girl Is Hot
. But what some authors are only just beginning to realize is that, for a growing number of women (and of course, men) Guy On Guy Is Hot. While not as strong in Real Life
the way its Sister Trope
is, it is nevertheless an existing mentality. It's the reason for the Boys Love Genre
, and the times when Ho Yay
is played intentionally for Fetish Fuel
. Some authors adhere to this, or at least acknowledge its existence, and thus we get scenes of naked and half-naked men wrestling
Just as often, though, there is a heavy Double Standard
; straight men thinking Girl On Girl Is Hot will be taken for granted, whereas the female enjoyment of Guy-on-Guy will be treated as a perversion (See Yaoi Fangirl
). Or, in the other direction, female characters will proudly declare their fascination with gay guys doing it while denouncing men who eroticize lesbians as exploitative perverts.
There's often an element of But Not Too Gay
to this trope: women may enjoy watching men wrestle and make out
but unlike men in the reverse scenario
it may be implied that they wouldn't find it sexy if the situation were to "escalate" (However, fanfiction.net and livejournal beg to differ)
open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- This trope is a large part of Axis Powers Hetalia's raison d'être. France spends most of his time stripping and/or groping the other male characters, Italy has a habit of glomping or sleeping with Germany while naked, and the series even has its own resident Yaoi Fangirl, Hungary.
- Erika from Durarara!! thought that Shizuo and Izaya made a wonderful couple. Her friends disapproved but, surprisingly, Shinra agreed with her (or at least thought it made sense in some way. Celty forbade him from actually finishing that thought). Not to say this is the general reaction to most fans about this pairing in general. It also doesn't help that Narita finds enjoyment in teasing the ship.
- Ohno and Ogiue from Genshiken love their yaoi, although the latter is loath to admit it at first.
- Konohamaru's Sexy No Jutsu had two shadow clones transform into a nude Sasuke and Sai locked in a very suggestive pose. It got cut in the anime, but the manga version can be seen here. It even gave Sakura a nosebleed.
- In the English print of this manga scene, the male on male part was nearly blacked out entirely, while the girl on girl scene only needed a few extra clouds to censor naughty bits. Major Double Standard on VIZ's part. Remember kids; getting the hots for naked ladies together is okay, but you're not allowed to even look at two guys. EVER!
- There's also the infamous accidental kiss between Naruto and Sasuke. You could almost hear the simultaneous clacking of one thousand fangirls typing one thousand Slash Fics at the same time.
- For once played for drama in Ooku. When Shogun Tsunayoshi is developing God Save Us from the Queen! tendencies, she orders two of her male concubines to have sex for her entertainment, thinking they won't mind since she knows them to be lovers. They're so insulted at being used for voyeuristic thrills that they commit seppuku, giving her a salutory shock.
- This is Hikaru and Kaoru's entire schtick in Ouran High School Host Club, with the twincest angle to spice things up. And it's never entirely clear if it's just an act or not.
- See the plot to every Eating Out movie.
- In Get Smart, when Max appears to be humping a male Control agent (he's actually trying to pull him off the table), a guard, in a rare male example, walks by and looks a little too interested before being pulled away.
- In The Kids Are All Right, the lesbian couple enjoys watching gay porn together.
- In The Pink Panther Strikes Again, when Clouseau is attempting to revive Dreyfus at the insane asylum (from behind), two women think that he's attempting to make out with him. The older one snaps, "Don't look, Fiona!", but Fiona seems pretty eager to watch.
- In The Princess Diaries 2 (which is a Disney movie aimed at pre-teen girls, just so we're clear), there is a scene where Mia and her best friend Lilly are looking at prospective princes. Mia remarks that one prince shown is cute, to which her bodyguard Joseph replies, "His boyfriend thinks he's handsome also." Mia and Lilly's reaction is ... enthusiastic.
Mia and Lilly: [punch the air] Right on.
- In Tamara, the title character brainwashes Shawn and Patrick into making out and having sex for her enjoyment, so that they can experience what it's like to be in the position of the girls who they exploited for sex.
- From The Waterboy:
Rita: I think that's sexy, you ever been with a guy and a girl at the same time?
- In Run Fat Boy Run, Dennis and Gordon oversleep and have to race to the marathon in a cab, Dennis thrashing around trying to get dressed as they go. When they stop at a traffic light, they notice there's a woman looking into the cab at Dennis in his pants straddling Gordon... and she seems to be enjoying the show.
- Anita Blake. Two guys together gets Anita and Belle Morte off.
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer gets annoyed with the mutual jealousy of her two vampire ex-boyfriends and suggests putting them in a room together then have them get naked and wrestle it out while she watches. When Spike says it's fine with him, her eyes widen with excitement and she adds, "There could be oil of some kind involved.". Note that this trope is a view held by much of the show's fanbase as well.
- There was a skit on The Chris Rock Show where two men cross paths on the street and it looks like they're about to fight... and they make out instead. All you can hear from the audience is women squeeing. You can watch it here (even if the end was just spoiled out of necessity). While hilarious, the clip is sadly a case of artistic license, as racial bias and tension have long been a sore point in the gay community.
- Doctor Who, "Deep Breath": Strax scans Clara's subconscious and finds images of what he generously interprets as "young men playing sport."
Strax: Well... it could be sport...
- In the Farscape episode "Won't Get Fooled Again", one of the many crazy scenes involves a Camp Gay D'Argo propositioning John. Apparently Chiana wants to watch...
- In one Friends episode, Rachel had an Erotic Dream that featured Chandler. Later, it also included Joey, then Rachel mentions that sometimes it was just Chandler and Joey. The guys leer until they realise what that means.
- One of the Patients of the Week on Grey's Anatomy was a gay soldier. Once his boyfriend comes to visit him they are alone and proceed to make out. Meredith Grey walks by, and stares at them with much interest.
- In the Tudor Porn sketches in Monty Python's Flying Circus, Sir Philip's wife is fond of reading "Gay Boys in Bondage".
- Noah's Arc: Brandy finds two guys together quite sexy, though overall the trope goes without saying for the LGBT genre (at least on the male end).
- A meta-example: Queer as Folk was a show about gay men and their relationships and sex lives. Its primary audience was meant to be gay/bi men and, to a lesser extent, lesbians. Yet it gained a huge fanbase among straight women.
- Saturday Night Live has a recurring skit called the "Kissing Family" which features a considerable amount of intense guy-on-guy kissing. Inevitably there will be squeals of delight which overpower the laughter.
- Scrubs: Jordan believes this, and apparently isn't too fussy about the age of the men involved.
Jordan: We should have sex later.
Dr Cox: (unnerved) How did you get from that image to that thought?
- There was an episode of Sex and the City where the girls rent gay porn for this reason and watch it together.
- State of Play. A homosexual member of the newsroom mentions he just slept with the man they've been investigating. When he asks if they want him to go into detail the men immediately say "No!" while the female journalists have exactly the opposite response.
- These scenes from True Blood were probably inserted for this reason.
- Will and Grace:
Grace: Gay sex is so hot!
Jack: We'll have a steak, watch a movie... you like gay porn, right?
Grace: Who doesn't?
- Oz: There are countless Internet spaces devoted to (mostly female) fans poring over the most squee-worthy moments between Beecher and Keller.
- Sunrise On 7: Apparently, reporter Edwina Barthowlmew thinks that gay sex is hot when she interviews A.J Roach of the Australian men's water polo team at the 2012 London Olympics:
: It's a great spectacle. Especially guys running around in their speedos, wrestling and pressing up against each other. So it's a good sport to watch. Edwina Barthowlmew
: That sounds like the Greek Olympics
- Subverted on Mad Tv: The Vancome Lady tells her gay neighbors who are dressed like pirates while trick or treating with their kids:
: And by the way, you two need to learn how to close your blinds alright, I'm tired of watching you two play "bury the treasure
- Why do Panic! at the Disco have so many fans, you ask? 1% for the awesome music and 99% for the Faux Yay/Ho Yay between all the hot guys. My Chemical Romance have a large female fanbase for the same reason.
- The Peaches song, "Two Guys (For Every Girl)" is about Peaches wanting to see her men have sex with each other.
- Take That used to do lots of Ho Yay moments that extended to naked pics in their early days as well, but they stopped because they want a wider audience. Needless to say, many of their female and gay male fans left.
- Try any Boy Band ever, really. The pretty boys, the Ho Yay, it's definitely part of the appeal, even for the girls who also want the guys for themselves.
- The Go-Gos' cover version of the Jan and Dean threesome song is about both kinds of two guy and one girl threesomes:
"And we go to Surf City 'cause it's two to one
Go to Surf City, gonna have some fun
Go to Surf City 'cause it's two to one
Go to Surf City, gonna have some fun
Go to Surf City 'cause it's two to one
Two boys for every girl"
- Britney Spears is suggesting a bisexual mmf threesome as well a bisexual mmmf foursome in "3":
"1, 2, 3
Peter, Paul and Mary
Gettin' down with 3P
Everybody loves counting, ohhh
- Twilight Sparkle's Secret Shipfic Folder... well, there's the "My First Slash" goal, the "I'm Not Gay I Swear" goal, the "Quite" goal, and then there's the pictures of "Life Threatening Illness" and "They fight crime" and then there's... basically, the game all but states Twilight loves this trope.
- In Disgaea 4: A Promise Unforgotten, it turns out that the female half of the party is more than a little interested in the relationship between Valvatorez and Fenrich. Some of the Player Mooks even write Slash Fic.
- In Shadow Hearts: Covenant, after you beat The Great Gama in Joachim's sidequest, he passes on his abilities to Joachim by engaging in some off-screen gay sex with him in the wrestling ring right in front of the whole party. While Juri isn't especially thrilled to see this, Anastasia comments that she finds it "beautiful".
- In Deiz, one of the endings has a director kidnapping you and your best friend and forcing you to make out on camera because of this trope.