Our heroes, from left to right: Phoebe, Butch, Kid Riddle, Charlotte, Ling Ling, and Max
You've got to find the guilty party before the guilty party finds you!
(technically, Disney Guilty Party
, but who's paying attention) is a game for the Nintendo Wii
produced by Disney Interactive and developed by Wideload Entertainment. Despite the "Disney" in the full title, it is, like Spectrobes,
awholly original property not connected to any other Disney product. Like a great many other games with "Party
" in the title, it is primarily designed as a multiplayer game, and there are quite a few Mini Games
. Unlike other games of its genre, though, the mini-games are less the point of the endeavor than a means to an end. The primary gameplay is a mystery game, like a digital Clue.
The Dickens Detective Agency is a world-famous group of related sleuths, lead by their patriarch, Dorian "The Commodore" Dickens. He is retiring from the business, but he'll still be around the Dickens family manor to dispense sage advice. Suddenly, disaster strikes when his archnemesis, the nefarious Mr. Valentine,
kidnaps Dorian's wife. Now it's up to the six active Dickens sleuths to track down their mother/grandma/aunt and put a stop to Mr. Valentine's plans!
- Max Dickens: The leader of the group is a classic film noir-style fedora-and-trenchcoat detective, and the son of Mr. Dickens himself. While not the brightest spark (perhaps due to the fact that he'd rather be an actor), he's been studying under his father long enough to know the ropes.
- Phoebe Dickens: Max's sister is his opposite in many ways—much more shrewd, much more tactful, and took to the family business like a fish to water. She is often exasperated with her kin, from her overly-jokey brother to her over-the-top son. Leave it to her to snark the family.
- Charlotte Dickens-Johnson: This sweet little old lady is definitely the heart of the group, keeping the others in line with her matronly ways. However, despite her outer sweetness, she's a raging firebrand who knows kung-fu and probably a number of other dangerous self-defense techniques. She's Dorian's sister and Butch's wife.
- Ling-Ling Johnson: The brains of the operation, who bears more than a passing resemblance to Nancy Drew. While her intellectual mettle is formidable, she's one of the most upbeat members of the family and tackles situations with an unstoppable perkiness. While not of blood relation to the family, she is the adopted daughter of Butch and Charlotte.
- Butch Johnson: Huge, imposing, and the very picture of the Scary Black Man, the Shaft-like Butch is actually a Gentle Giant with a high-pitched voice and a friendly smile for everyone. While he used to solve problems with his brawn, now he prefers to use his brain. A lesson in not judging books by their covers to be certain. Married to Charlotte.
- Rudyard "Kid Riddle" Dickens: Loud, brash, and breathlessly wrapped up in his superhero persona, Kid Riddle seems to tag along mostly because nobody (not even his mom, Phoebe) could stop him. However, his determination is off the charts, and even if he is a bit odd, he is certainly enthusiastic. And let's be honest—would you want to be called "Rudyard?"
This game contains examples of: