Welcome Welcome students, to the Castle of Grave Academy, just your regular All-Ghouls School
in Transilvannya, but with a few twists; Grave Academy is a Brazilian, Forum-Based RPG, that started on September 2011, in this verse, Monsters walk among us humans, but they do so when they're not, you know, ''Hunting''
, being punished by their law if they don't do so.
But that's where Grave Academy comes in, to teach young monsters how to fit in this Human-dominated world, and there they can learn various subjects, like: Venoms and Antidotes, Camouflage, Defense, Wield of Weapons, and even Magic; The school is directed By the Headmaster, Jack Jerripher, a Eccentric Dullahan, and his Right-Hand Woman, Sophie Merryweather, a bossy Harpy.
A Canonic Fanfic was released on the forum itself in October 31th, specially because of Halloween, and it covers the stories of the recently-dead-turned-ghost Luke Truesdale, as he is welcomed to the World of Monsters by Jack Jerripher, and is invited to the school, where he befriends and interacts with various other classmates, like the snarky Witch, Blair Liddel , the vegetarian Kelpie, Gary Crawford, the competitive Werewolf, Brenda Thompson, and the Keet
Wendigo, Kain Winchester, as they encounter various hardships through their school life, and their clashes with the Monster's sworn enemies, the renegade Hunters, along with other foes. Oh, who are we kidding there? Deconstruction, GutPunch, TearJerker
Tropes Describing Grave Academy Include:
- Absurdly Spacious Sewer: The upcoming Grave Sewer Area, is this on steroids, since it contains raised walkways, tunnels and even a Shop.
- Action Girl: Sophie, though most female characters are implied to be this, but the series hasn't shown a fight with them yet.
- Brenda, Blair, Carmela and Juliet confirmed as of chapter 8.
- Let's just say that women are not the fragile sex in here...
- Affably Evil: Most monsters qualify.
- A Form Your Comfortable With: Monsters assume a Human form so that they don't get exposed to humans.
- The Ageless: But they also have an accelerated healing.
- Alpha Bitch: Juliet.
- All-Ghouls School: No, Duh
- Always Chaotic Evil: Feral Monsters, and most Hunters.
- Not most, just most until now, but we are told that they are mostly good.
- Actually NONE of the Hunters seen until now were evil! Except Mooks
- Badass: Lots of Characters, but more prominently, Jack, Sophie, Margareth and Samantha.
- Battle Aura: Powerful Monsters when they get serious.
- Ballroom Blitz: Played With, it looks like Jack and the crew are gonna do this, but they are gonna join the fireworks party instead.
- Bersek Button: Bad-parenting to Kain, and parental abandonement to Ran Mao.
- Harming a student in front of Jack.
- Call Margareth a little girl. I.DARE.YOU.
- Remind Jack and Sophie of how They couldn't protect Teresa
- Big Damn Heroes: The J-Trinity and Carmela saving Luke e Co. from Beast!Brenda
- Big Good: Jeliel for the Monsters, and Igor for the Hunters.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: the Fanfic is gonna do this.
- Building of Adventure: The Castle.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: Most of the Council of Swords count.
- Calling Your Attacks: They don't actually call them, but their names appear in a stylized way.
- Circus of Fear: the Pierrot MachitÚ area.
- Also, a big part of the sequel
- Cliffhanger: Chapter 8 of the first one and Chapter 19 of the sequel
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: Werewolves with ttheir moon nearby, and Jack Jerripher, BIG time.
- Cool Old Guy: Yuji, the Jellyfish Youkai.
- Creepy Child: Margareth Rabbit, the torture teacher, takes the form of a nine year old girl.
- Also Helena Minovich of the Council.
- 'He then felt the acidic smell of a room full of teenage boys by the morning' funny because it's true.
- 'He Thinks he has a Chance with her!'
- Luke and Blair's exchange about the latter's hair at the Fireworks party.
- Cute Witch: Blair.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Most of the cast, living in a world where your species is dominated by others isn't pleasant.
- Dem Bones: Skeletons of course.
- Dissonant Serenity: The Torture Teacher is a... Wererabbit?
- Eccentric Mentor: Most Teachers, and the Headmaster, in spades.
- Elemental Powers:
- Evil Plan: The Six Renegade Hunters (current villains in the Fanfic) are setting up a nice evil plan...
- Mr. Fanservice: Gary,and Jack too.
- Faux Action Girl: Margareth hasn't participated in any action, but she certainly has the attitude.
- Genius Loci: The Castle seems to have a mind of it's own.
- Giant Spider: The Arachne Species.
- Guile Hero: Jack, sometimes.
- Gratuitous English: Since this is a Brazilian Portuguese forums, most magic, although Sophie's are Gratuitous Greek.
- Hammerspace: Jack's magic spelll, Chariot.
- Most of his spells have something to do with that.
- Handsome Lech: Kain.
- Headless Horseman: The Dullahan Species, most prominently, the Headmaster.
- Healing Factor: All Monsters have this.
- Hellish Pupils: Show up every now and then.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Kain in the end of chapter 8.
- Horny Devils: The Succubi and Incubi.
- I Just Want to Have Friends: Many monsters have this as backstory because they're not always evil.
- Kindhearted Cat Lover: Daphne, in human form, although she IS a cat (Nekomata) in her real form.
- Kraken and Leviathan.
- Lady of War: Sophie, elegant, quick, and powerful.
- Lawful Stupid: Mooks of the Council of Swords seem to be this.
- Leaning on the Fourth Wall
- Lovable Alpha Bitch: Juliet.
- Lunacy: What's like for werewolves when the full moon is near
- Mad Bomber: Blair's Pumpkin Bomb and Pumpkin Grenade.
- Meaningful Name: To name a few, Jack Jerripher (Jack the Ripper and the Reaper), Samantha Kindersley and Sophie Merryweather (guess one of her powers).
- Margareth Rabbit takes the prize.
- Mistaken for Gay: Luke and Gary at the Fireworks Party.
- Mood Whiplash: DEAR LORD CHAPTER 8! Starts with a lot of humour regarding Brenda, Luke, Margareth, Samantha and Kain, and ends with a rampaging Brenda cornering the group, whose members are already in a bloody mess themselves, and them she ALMOST KILLS KAIN! luckily, the J's and Carmela arrived, but the chapter ends with the cliffhanger... and will only come back on 12/02!
- Nature Spirit: Nymphs, like Samantha, and Ents.
- Noodle Incident: Whatever it was that made Grigori hate Jack.
- What happened to the Movie Room and the fourth floor's Bathroom.
- Ooc Is Serious Business: When Jack stops having fun, it's Over.
- Our Angels Are Different
- Our Elves Are Better
- Our Genies Are Different: The Djinn Species.
- Our Vampires Are Different: Normally have Mismatched Eyes, but they turn into a blood-red color when hungry.
- Power Gives You Wings: Winged Species in general.
- Pre Ass Kicking One Liner: Juliet: You Called? on the end of chapter 8.
- Psychic Powers
- Reality Warper: Jack is hinted to be this.
- Really 700 Years Old: Most of the monsters, really.
- Red Baron: Members of the Council of Swords to a mythical sword.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: One of the Vampire's traits in this series is that their eyes turn Red when they get hungry.
- Red Herring: Current arc is setting up Carmela to be one of the hunters, but it doesn't seem that likely.
- Rule of Cool: Basis of the Series.
- Screw The Rules I'mBeautiful: Juliet.
- Shout-Out: Blair's name to the Blair Witch Project, and her last name, Liddel, to Alice in Wonderland.
- Maybe Kain Winchester to Supernatural.
- The Council Of Swords, having 10 members, with sword-motifs, are kinda like the Espada in Bleach, only good.
- Carmela Sherridan's name AND last name, and being a Vampire, to Sherridan Le Fanu, the writer of Carmilla.
- Summon Magic: Experienced Monsters and Wizards can do this via Pentagrams, summoning Feral Monsters.
- Superpowered Evil Side: Brenda's Beast Mode.
- Telepathy: Most Experienced Monsters are able to do this.
- Tengu: The Combat Teacher, Aaron B. Vengeance.
- The Capital Of Brazil Is Buenos Aires: Averted, since it's a Brazilian Forum.
- The Chessmaster: The leader of the Renegade Hunters is played up like this.
- The Worf Effect: Kain's battle with Beast!Brenda.
- Town with a Dark Secret: The True Cross Village.
- Trickster Mentor: ALL teachers, to varying degrees.
- Tsundere: Sophie, Big Time.
- ▄berwald: Where the series takes place.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Jack and Sophie.
- Wide Open Sandbox: With over 70 species of monsters to choose!
- Wizards and Witches
- Wreathed in Flames: Salamanders and Dragons more prominently, but some Fire-Alignement Techiniques do this.
- Wolf Man: One of the Species.
- Youkai: Various.
- Zombie Apocalypse: One was seemingly attempted in the Canonic Story, but was apparently cut short when the zombie-virus vaccine became too expensive, and the Council had to wipe out the human's memories of this, they apparently call that the world war II now...
Tropes applying to specific Characters:Luke Truesdale:
The Main protagonist, he dies by being hit by a truck in the first chapter and thus becomes a Ghost and is dragged into the world of the monsters as he enrolls the Grave Academy, he's in the Brinterruves Republic.Brenda Thompson
A Female Werewolf, she's a smart and soft-spoken girl, but can sometimes be kind of a Deadpan Snarker
, was the first to befriend Luke, and also has a close bond with Gary and Blair, but she disapproves of Kain's lecherousness. She's in the Deprecius Republic. Hinting at her true nature as a Stepford Smiler
- Badass Bookworm
- But Not Too Black
- Curbstomp Battle: versus Luke, Kain, Blair, Gary, Juliet, Jonah, James and Carmela, she's not in the receiving end...
- Cute Monster Girl.
- Dark and Troubled Past
- Elemental Powers: Casting a Shadow, Blow You Away and Dishing Out Dirt, so far.
- Friendless Background
- Gray Eyes
- Guns Akimbo
- Living Mc Guffin
- Meganekko: Like Blair, she doesn't always wear them.
- Orphan'sPlotTrinket: Implied, she has a locket with a family photo inside, and is hinted to be an orphan.
- Parental Abandonement: Or Dead Parents Are The Best, we don't know yet.
- Stepford Smiler
- Superpowered Evil Side: as related to the original werewolf, she can shift into a stronger mode, called Feral Mode, but she was tricked into activating it on chapter 8
- The Smart Guy
- Wolf Man: Girl actually.
Wendigo, he is the comedic relief of the group, thinks highly of his looks, although not many people agree with him, he's constantly being lecherous, but he's really someone you can count on. He's in the Lucemis Republic. His father Freaked out when he discovered that his wife and child were monsters, he killed Kain's mother in his front, by the boy's soon-to-be Stepmother.Gary Crawford
A quiet and smart Kelpie, born and raised on the Kelpie Tribe, somewhere on Italy, he's quick to make friends, and is the target of many a girl's attentions for his looks, although he himself undermines this, at the Third Chapter, before meeting and befriending Luke, he was trapped with Bay Stones and made irascible, picking a fight with the Ghost at the Dining Hall, but once he got rid of the stones, he returned to his kindhearted nature.Blair Liddel
A young Witch prodigy, she is highly praised for her magic, but she hates all the attention, and although she looks like a poster popular kid
, she has many nerdy and derpy hobbies, like LAR Ping
, liking to study, designing clothes, etc... She's i the Sapiensorens Republic, like Gary. she's also the Knight of Cerebus for the first volume, as she was revealed to have been working for the villain all along. However, it's noteworthy that she was coerced into doing so, as her entire clan was wiped out by her sister, Blair(her real name is Alice, and since that day, she took her sister's name), who was ALSO under the villain influence, throughout her stay at the castle, she became real friends with everyone, and decided that she wasn't worth it, luckily, she was snapped out of it by Luke in their fight
- Awesome Mc Cool Name
- Badass Bookworm
- Becoming the Mask
- Cute Witch: or Hot Witch, as she's 17.
- Elemental Powers: Playing with Fire, Making a Splash, Dishing Out Dirt, Blow You Away, Green Thumb, Shock and Awe, Green Thumb, Holy Hand Grenade, Casting a Shadow, and even the exclusive An Ice Person.
- Green Thumb: Most of her personal spells have a pumpkin theme.
- Knight of Cerebus
- Living Mc Guffin
- Last of His Kind
- Power Gives You Wings: Pumpkin Peacock
- Meido: Uses a similar style for the Fireworks Party.
- Meganekko: Not always wears 'em though.
- Mundane Utility: Can use Magic to change her hair/clothes, and make 'Raindrops miss her and her group''
- Ms. Fanservice: has the most curvaceous body and wears sexy outfits quite often.
- Shout-Out: Both her first name, to The Blair Witch Project, and her surname, to Alice in Wonderland.
- And then we discover that her real name is Alice.
- The Clan: her Clan, the Liddels, are known for producing great wizards and witches.
- The Mario: Is all-rounded and is capable of using all elements, save for the elusive crystal alignement.
- The Mole: as of chapter 17, she was revealed to have been working for the bad guys...
- She's back now, as she was only led to being one.
- Tsundere: more Dere-Dere.
The Headmaster, if he can be called that, seeing as he's a Headless Horseman
, Jack is a bit on the loony side most of the time, but can be wise as a sage if the need arises. He's the Third member in the Council of Swords, and so, he's recognized as the third strongest monster alive. Lost his sister, Teresa, after a fight with an ancient demon
- A Father to His Men
- Bersek Button: Shared with all teachers, harming his students.
- Break the Cutie: As seen in the two spoilers below.
- Cool Horse: his Familiar, Cervantes.
- Creepy Cool Crosses
- Elemental Powers: Claims to be an allrounder, so, Jack of All Stats.
- Excentric Mentor: In Spades.
- Familiar: His Zombie Horse, Cervantes.
- Freak Out: After discovering that his sister was the mastermind, and that he essentially became a Windmill Crusader
- Descends further into madness after his Mercy Kill on Robin
- Green Eyes
- Hammerspace: Lots of his magic powers seem to have something to do with this, either that or transportation.
- Heroic Sacrifice: The only reason he's alive is his sister's
- Mercy Kill: On Robin
- Mr. Fanservice
- Punny Name: To Jack the Ripper.
- Rainbow Motif: Within the Council of Swords, he's Deep Blue.
- Really 700 Years Old: At least 300, but looks 27.
- Red Baron: As a member of the Council, his is: Interpreter of the Imagination
- Rock Theme Naming: All of the members of the council are likened to a Gemstone, his is a Deep-Blue Sapphire.
- Ship Tease: Buckloads with Sophie, Robin and Samantha, but mostly with Robin, See Break the Cutie and Mercy Kill.
- Shout-Out: His Horse's name to the writer of Dom Quixote. Turns out it was Foreshadowing...
- Stepford Smiler
- Tarot Motifs: His Spells.
- The Chessmaster
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With Sophie.
- Windmill Crusader: He's set on revenge on the demon who killed his sister... Only to find it WAS his sister, see Break the Cutie
A bossy Harpy who's the right-hand woman of Jack, she excels in Camouflage, being noted as one of the top practicioners of the art, she's been Jack's freind for a long time, and thus, knows exactly how to deal with his loooniness, she was part of the official Camouflage comitee, and wanted to change its more stern rules, and altought she couldn't in the end, she learned that you just have to live with some things that we can't change. As the Eight member of the Council of Sowrds, she's regarded as the eight strongest monster alive.