Grandma, What Massive Hotness You Have
"Some women are simply sexy forever. Helen Mirren is a woman like that. She's 64. As she enters her 70s, we'll begin to develop a fondness for sexy septuagenarians."For most people, their looks fade somewhat as they get older, being only appreciated by their long-term loves. However, there are exceptions to every rule. Sometimes, Grandma or Grandpa (despite the name, this trope applies to either gender) ages like wine. For fangirls in particular, there's just something about older men... Their starting age is generally around 50, but they do not actually need to be a grandparent (as demonstrated by the woman opposite, who not only isn't a grandparent but isn't even a parent). Does not count for immortal or ageless characters. Compare Stacy's Mom, with which this can overlap. Also likely to overlap with Silver Fox. Contrast with I Was Quite a Looker. See also Christmas Cake, and Likes Older Women. When adding examples, avoid people who are Hollywood Old. They must be visibly old for the trope to be in effect. Do not confuse with Older Than They Look, or its extreme counterpart, Really 700 Years Old, unless they look old to a normal person despite being far older than that would imply on its own. See also Grande Dame. For elderly female characters who are more noted for concupiscence than attractiveness, see Dirty Old Woman. As the photo of Helen Mirren at right illustrates, Truth in Television can apply (other often-cited real world examples include Sophia Loren and Joan Collins). However, examples listed below should be confined to fictional references, as attempting to identify too many real world examples might slip into YMMV territory.
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- Doctor Kureha from One Piece is close to 140 years old, and though her face looks like someone in their 70s, her body is far more attractive. It helps that she dresses like a teenage girl.
- Joseph Joestar◊ in JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, part 3.
- In-universe it's mentioned repeatedly that's he's very attractive even in his old age. To the point that the protagonist of the fourth part is his bastard son. Who was conceived when he was 65, after his grandson Jotaro had already been born.
- Yandere Kanojo has Manabu's grandfather, who is portrayed as absurdly charming. It's also implied that he still successfully bar hops for women.
- Gold Digger has Julia Diggers, who's in her 50s but looks very good for her age due to constantly working out before getting an effective age downgrade.
- Her husband Theodore is in equally good shape, despite being older than Julia and not getting the same age-down. And that's only his physical body- in his Aura form, he looks like an Olympian god.
- The Savage Dragon brings us Superpatriot, whom the young and exceedingly hot Dart found sexy enough that she once sighed and commented "if only he were thirty years younger...". She later wound up in bed with his similar looking yet naive son, Justice.
- Even taking into account the time he got de-aged by a Reality Warper, Magneto is decidedly not a young man. He was born in the late 1920s, and Comic-Book Time doesn't change this since being a Holocaust survivor is central to his character. Chronologically he's in his late 80s, and biologically he's probably in his late 50s or so. Despite this, he's a buff, attractive-looking man whose only real hint at not being young is his white hair...except that it has been white his entire life so that's a false hint.
- Since Judge Dredd's timeline progresses at a 1:1 rate with real time, Psi Judge Anderson has been a street judge for at least 35 years, placing her in her early 50's. As a Psi Judge, she doesn't take the age-slowing drugs available to regular Judges and is still consistently depicted as a very attractive woman who is frequently hit on by men half her age.
- In the Empath: The Luckiest Smurf story "Empath's Wedding", Flowerbell the woodnymph still comments on Papa Smurf's looks like this.
- Sisterhood Series by Fern Michaels: Myra Rutledge and Countess Anne "Annie" Ryland de Silva. Both of them are in their 60s and heading on to 70s. Make no mistake, they are old enough to be your grandmother, and they are incredibly sexy! In fact, Weekend Warriors has Nikki Quinn and Barbara Rutledge commenting that Myra looks better at 60 plus years old than they do at 30 plus years old. Now that's hotness!
- Belgarath in The Belgariad is an Elderly Immortal who looks to be in his eighties or nineties. Right up until he takes off his shirt, demonstrating that while his face may be that of an old man, his body is not.
- Kinsey Millhone definitely thinks her landlord Henry, who is around eighty, is very sexy.
- Lady Abigail Irene Garrett in Amsterdam is around 50 when we meet her, and is definitely still a sexually vibrant woman.
- In the Book of Genesis, Sarah is described as the World's Most Beautiful Woman well into her old age.
- In Harry Harrison's Stainless Steel Rat series, the beautiful and lethal Angelina becomes a grandmother. And remains lethal.
- Paul Lassiter's mother in Spin City. Paul is baffled by all the attention she gets until Carter gets him to take a real look at her:
Paul: Oh my god! OH MY GOD! I just checked out my mother!
Paul: She's a smoking hottie!
- Scrubs: JD has sex with a new grandmother (her daughter was a patient, for the delivery), who easily fits the category in "My Best Moment".
- Gemma from Sons of Anarchy, enough to be checked out and commented on by the much younger Prospect, Half-Sack.
- Bree van de Kamp from in Desperate Housewives is coming from the attractive mother territory to this one. Reinforced and lampshaded, in both ways, when, at the same time, she begins her menopause (the grandma side) and gets involved with the handsome, well-build and 15 years younger Keith (the hot side).
- Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman: Dorothy was an older and very attractive woman, estranged from her abusive husband and later widowed. She's courted by her brother-in-law Loren Bray and much younger man Jake Slicker, who initiated their May-December Romance. Dorothy's old age is marked when she thinks she's pregnant but she's in fact beginning menopause.
- 30 Rock made reference to Helen Mirren in a bikini, prompting Liz to say "It's not possible, what is she, a wizard?" This refers to then-recent paparazzi images of 60-something Mirren (pictured above) looking incredible in a bikini someone half her age might be hesitant to wear.
- My Grandmother's Ravioli: due to the nature of the show, Mo Rocca finds himself meeting with a veritable full spectrum of grandmothers, ranging from the matronly to the lovely. But one particular episode stands out. It turns out that the grandmother in question started her family young, and her children did as well. Which makes her technically a grandmother at the age of 52, and still stunning at that.
- Fiona Goode from American Horror Story: Coven is considered quite attractive and is stated to be quite beautiful in her first scene. However, she isn't satisfied with being this trope and tries desperately to become younger and immortal.
- Mona Robinson from Whos The Boss is Angela's mother and the sexpot of the show.
- Patsy Stone from Absolutely Fabulous. Her age is north of 70 at the beginning of the show in the early 90s, yet she Really Gets Around, having no trouble finding much younger boyfriends. Being played by Joanna Lumley probably helps.
- Celia, Drew's older woman girlfriend on The Drew Carey Show when she was in her mid-60s.
- Wynne from Dragon Age: Origins. It doesn't help that she is something of a badass.
- Lampshaded, as resident The Casanova Zevran doesn't hesitate to flirt with her and comment on her "magical bosom". Wynne, who's old enough to be his mother, is not amused.
- Oghren and even (in a DLC) Alistair flirt with her, too.
- Parodied in this Stolen Pixels comic, where Wynne keeps insisting she's old and helpless while wearing an outfit that proves otherwise.
- In Dragon Age II, Flemeth drops the ragged old lady look that Morrigan and the Warden know her by and instead wears figure-clinging armor, has white horned hair and a generally cleaned-up face. As seen here.◊
- In Dragon Age: Inquisition, this gets dialed back a bit - she keeps the body, but her face is visibly older in appearance than it was in the second game.
- By the time Assassin's Creed: Revelations rolls around, Ezio Auditore is 52 and still swimming in fangirls.
- The Metal Gear Solid series has its fair share. Especially in Metal Gear Solid 4 where Solid Snake, despite having aged to the appearance of an elderly man, still has a fairly muscular body and an extremely prominent, well-sculpted ass. Likewise, Ocelot, who is in his 70s, also turns out to be fairly well built.
- Though she's not a main character of Zodiac, Cancer's grandmother Natalia Hain is in very good shape for her age.
- Maggie of Erfworld. Grey hair, grey skin, wrinkled — but can still work a miniskirt. The physical properties of Erfworld help: a person's physical appearance (or "signamancy") is in large part defined by their personality, view of themselves, and emotional state. Since Maggie met Parson, she found a new purpose in life (and possibly developed a crush on him), as a result her appearance has been growing more attractive and even a bit more youthful.
- King Urtica in Exiern, despite his white hair and beard, is revealed to still have a very well muscled and defined chest and six pack. Not to mention his "come to bed" eyes and smile.
- Only implied by Flowerbell about Papa Smurf in The Smurfs episode "Papa's Wedding Day" when she's trying to win his heart.
- Interestingly, as hinted in one of The Smurfs comic book one-page gags, strip away Papa Smurf's beard and he would look no different in appearance from an ordinary male Smurf.
- Malory Archer is explicitly said to be this by a couple of characters.
- Aunt May in Ultimate Spider-Man. She actually goes on a date with Agent Coulson in one episode (Which Peter finds extremely disturbing).
- How about Aunt May In Spectacular Spiderman? The doctor was way too interested in her, home-visit and everything.