Grandma, What Massive Hotness You Have
"Some women are simply sexy forever. Helen Mirren is a woman like that. She's 64. As she enters her 70s, we'll begin to develop a fondness for sexy septuagenarians."
For most people, their looks fade somewhat as they get older, being only appreciated by their long-term loves.
However, there are exceptions to every rule. Sometimes, Grandma or Grandpa (despite the name, this trope applies to either gender) ages like wine. For fangirls in particular, there's just something about older men... Their starting age is generally around 50, but they do not actually need to be a grandparent (as demonstrated by the woman opposite, who not only isn't a grandparent but isn't even a parent
Does not count for immortal or ageless characters.
Compare Stacy's Mom
, with which this can overlap. Also likely to overlap with Silver Fox
Contrast with I Was Quite a Looker
. See also Christmas Cake
, and Likes Older Women
. When adding examples, avoid people who are Hollywood Old
. They must be visibly old for the trope to be in effect
Do not confuse with Older Than They Look
, or its extreme counterpart, Really 700 Years Old
, unless they look old to a normal person despite being far older than that would imply on its own
. See also Grande Dame
. For elderly female characters who are more noted for concupiscence than attractiveness, see Dirty Old Woman
As the photo of Helen Mirren
at right illustrates, Truth in Television
can apply (other often-cited real world examples include Sophia Loren
and Joan Collins
). However, examples listed below should be confined to fictional references, as attempting to identify too many real world examples might slip into YMMV territory.
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- Gold Digger has Julia Diggers, who's in her 50s but looks very good for her age due to constantly working out before getting an effective age downgrade.
- Her husband Theodore is in equally good shape, despite being older than Julia and not getting the same age-down. And that's only his physical body- in his Aura form, he looks like an Olympian god.
- The Savage Dragon brings us Superpatriot, whom the young and exceedingly hot Dart found sexy enough that she once sighed and commented "if only he were thirty years younger...". She later wound up in bed with his similar looking yet naive son, Justice.
- Even taking into account the time he got de-aged by a Reality Warper, Magneto is decidedly not a young man. He was born in the late 1920s, and Comic-Book Time doesn't change this since being a Holocaust survivor is central to his character. Chronologically he's in his late 80s, and biologically he's probably in his late 50s or so. Despite this, he's a buff, attractive-looking man whose only real hint at not being young is his white hair...except that it has been white his entire life so that's a false hint.
- Since Judge Dredd's timeline progresses at a 1:1 rate with real time, Psi Judge Anderson has been a street judge for at least 35 years, placing her in her early 50's. As a Psi Judge, she doesn't take the age-slowing drugs available to regular Judges and is still consistently depicted as a very attractive woman who is frequently hit on by men half her age.
- In the Empath: The Luckiest Smurf story "Empath's Wedding", Flowerbell the woodnymph still comments on Papa Smurf's looks like this.
- Sisterhood Series by Fern Michaels: Myra Rutledge and Countess Anne "Annie" Ryland de Silva. Both of them are in their 60s and heading on to 70s. Make no mistake, they are old enough to be your grandmother, and they are incredibly sexy! In fact, Weekend Warriors has Nikki Quinn and Barbara Rutledge commenting that Myra looks better at 60 plus years old than they do at 30 plus years old. Now that's hotness!
- Belgarath in The Belgariad is an Elderly Immortal who looks to be in his eighties or nineties. Right up until he takes off his shirt, demonstrating that while his face may be that of an old man, his body is not.
- Kinsey Millhone definitely thinks her landlord Henry, who is around eighty, is very sexy.
- Lady Abigail Irene Garrett in Amsterdam is around 50 when we meet her, and is definitely still a sexually vibrant woman.
- In the Book of Genesis, Sarah is described as the World's Most Beautiful Woman well into her old age.
- In Harry Harrison's Stainless Steel Rat series, the beautiful and lethal Angelina becomes a grandmother. And remains lethal.
- Wynne from Dragon Age: Origins. It doesn't help that she is something of a badass.
- Lampshaded, as resident The Casanova Zevran doesn't hesitate to flirt with her and comment on her "magical bosom". Wynne, who's old enough to be his mother, is not amused.
- Oghren and even (in a DLC) Alistair flirt with her, too.
- Parodied in this Stolen Pixels comic, where Wynne keeps insisting she's old and helpless while wearing an outfit that proves otherwise.
- In Dragon Age II, Flemeth drops the ragged old lady look that Morrigan and the Warden know her by and instead wears figure-clinging armor, has white horned hair and a generally cleaned-up face. As seen here.◊
- In Dragon Age: Inquisition, this gets dialed back a bit - she keeps the body, but her face is visibly older in appearance than it was in the second game.
- By the time Assassin's Creed: Revelations rolls around, Ezio Auditore is 52 and still swimming in fangirls.
- The Metal Gear Solid series has its fair share. Especially in Metal Gear Solid 4 where Solid Snake, despite having aged to the appearance of an elderly man, still has a fairly muscular body and an extremely prominent, well-sculpted ass. Likewise, Ocelot, who is in his 70s, also turns out to be fairly well built.
- Only implied by Flowerbell about Papa Smurf in The Smurfs episode "Papa's Wedding Day" when she's trying to win his heart.
- Interestingly, as hinted in one of The Smurfs comic book one-page gags, strip away Papa Smurf's beard and he would look no different in appearance from an ordinary male Smurf.
- Malory Archer is explicitly said to be this by a couple of characters.
- Aunt May in Ultimate Spider-Man. She actually goes on a date with Agent Coulson in one episode (Which Peter finds extremely disturbing).