open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- Hideyoshi and Ieyasu from Sengoku Otome.
- In Naruto, several ninjas run around with enormous rope bows tied around their waists. Sasuke gains one post-timeskip, which was based on an even larger one that Orochimaru wears. Both are based on Shimenawa—coiled rice straw ropes that are tied around objects (and people) who are considered to be inhabited by spirits. In this case, this is most likely to symbolize that Orochimaru is simply inhabiting the bodies of those he possesses.
- Misao and eventually Aoshi of Rurouni Kenshin; the latter is affectionately given the Fan Nickname "Butt Bow" as a result.
- Sailor Moon's starts out too small to count, but gets bigger and fancier with every power upgrade.
- Her final uniform has the bow shaped like big wings. This is hilariously examined at one point when she actually knock things over just moving through a room due to how large it is.
- Mito of Space Pirate Mito has a bow so large that its tails have their own little bows.
- A lot of outfits in Kamichama Karin have this.
- Vita of Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha has this as part of her Barrier Jacket.
- Post-henshin Juna from Earth Maiden Arjuna has prehensile waist-ribbons. They're see-through, they expand and contract as needed, and she can grab things with them. But most importantly: they float around dramatically behind her.
- Sheryl Nome from Macross Frontier (pictured above).
- Jubei-chan the Ninja Girl is a good example.
- Akari from Il Sole Penetra Le Illusioni wears a decent-sized one as part of her regular outfit.
Film — Animated
- Cynthia in The Secret Of Nimh. It's the only thing she wears, actually.
- One of the outfits Tiana wore in The Princess and the Frog is a strapless light blue dress with a giant dark blue sash around the waist.
- Belle's Happy Holidays Dress in Beauty and the Beast: The Enchanted Christmas has a large ribbon on the waist. It's red in the movie, but gold in The Merch.
- Eden's holiday dress at the end of Barbie in a Christmas Carol has a massive gold ribbon at the side of the waist.
Live Action TV
- In the episode of Reba where Brock and Barbara Jean were married, the hideous bridesmaid's dresses Cheyenne and Kira wore (shiny purple taffeta, Cheyenne said she looked like a giant bruise) had these. Originally, the bow was on the front of the dress (Cheyenne was pregnant at the time, and Barbara Jean thought that a huge purple bow right on her stomach would distract from the baby,) but it was moved to the back ("kind of like a counterweight.")
- Joan's sexy red, curve-hugging Happy Holidays Dress has this, only not so giant that it obscures her backside.
- Meru of The Legend of Dragoon wears one.
- Disgaea - Rune Knight classes.
- Disgaea 2 - Yukimaru, Fubuki, and Rozalin
- Yuna in Final Fantasy X; she also has it in a handful of her Final Fantasy X-2 outfits.
- Ayane from Dead or Alive series.
- Tekken: Ling Xiaoyu (standard Tekken 3 uniform only)
- Lemina from Lunar: Eternal Blue.
- RAcaseals (female robot gun specialists) in Phantasy Star Online have a bodies in a meido-style dress, complete with ribbon and bow around their waists.
- Sheena from Tales of Symphonia. She uses it to strangle Zelos in the OVA.
- Alice: Madness Returns feature a selection of dresses with this.
- Shao Lei-Lei/Hsien-Ko from Darkstalkers.
- Totooria Helmold of Atelier Totori.
- Kirbys Return To Dreamland: The Grand Hammer skill gives Kirby a rainbow-colored, pretzel-shaped giant ribbon.
- Ellis of Battle Arena Toshinden.
- DLC character Eliza of Skullgirls has one in the shape of an ankh, and not much else.
- Final Fantasy Tactics: The Oracle Job features them.
- Seen from behind, Deande from Battleborn has one of these which appears to be a part of her unique looking bustle-like coattails.
- Sparkling Generation Valkyrie Yuuki wears a red one as part of her Mini Dress Of Power. She also gains the ability to manipulate it, something only Freya had ever done.
- Kanaya from Homestuck gains a purple one late in Act 5. It's not purely for fashion, it's covering the hole in her stomach where Eridan one-shotted her.
- Bonus points: It's Eridan's cape.
- Elliot from El Goonish Shive is transformed into a girl wearing one of these in this filler strip.
- Bittersweet Candy Bowl:
- Jasmine's Halloween costume.
- Don't forget about Lucy herself.
- Pearl from Steven Universe gets one in her second outfit, the change having resulted from being temporarily killed and forced into regeneration for two weeks. This is actually significant because it's wrapped around the area where she got stabbed.
- Over the top Fairytale Wedding Dresses can sport these.
- Some Victorian dresses had these, often in conjunction with a bustle.
- Very possible with obi. Combining a ribbon-like giant bow with yukata or kimono is a common blunder in drawings by those not in the kitsuke know. However, informal kimono and yukata can be worn with fluffy bows IRL, and some "proper" obi knot styles are in fact just elaborated bows, and the stiffness of the standard obi lends itself nicely to truly gigantic bows... in theory. In practice, proportionally modest styles are favoured.
- Improperly executed, the Giant Waist Ribbon can mutate into the legendary Butt Bow of horrible bridesmaid's dresses.
- In Sumo Wrestling, yokozuna wear shimenawa, giant waist ribbons made of twisted strands of rice straw rope. These are traditionally tied around sacred objects or those that are said to be inhabited by spirits. Sumo wrestlers who reach the rank of yokozuna are considered to be as such, therefore they wear these.