Gang of Critters
When The Smurfs invaded America in the early 1980s, or even way back when they were created in Belgium in the late 1950s, they spawned a grand tradition of cute creatures with silly names who hang out in groups and get into all manner of misadventures, then get out of them again through The Power of Friendship.
open/close all folders
- Monchichis. Originally a toy line.
- The Ewoks from Return of the Jedi, who later got two (made-for-TV) movies and an animated series of their own.
Live Action TV
- The Astrosniks, a German toy set.
- Achewood parodies and subverts this one'. The cast consists of anthropomorphic cats and talking stuffed animals; but one of the stuffed animals is an elderly disaffected teddy bear, one is a psychopathically alcoholic stuffed lion, one is a milquetoast bear with the occasional delusion of grandeur, and one is a five-year-old otter who only exists to be scarred psychologically. Of the three cats, one is a Rich Idiot With No Dayjob, one is a severely depressed coder, and one is a nutjob holier-than-thou pseudo-activist who only finds meaning in putting down everyone around him.
- Bear Nuts is another webcomic subversion of this. An Affectionate Parody of Care Bears, except with characters like Prozac and Evil bear.
- Hodges Pond.
- Care Bears
- The Get Along Gang
- Adventures of the Gummi Bears
- The My Little Pony franchise
- Shirt Tales
- The Snorks, also based on a Belgian comic strip.
- The Suntots, from The Smoggies.
- The Wuzzles.
- Winnie-the-Pooh and friends qualify, although it was less pronounced in the original books.
- The Happy Little Elves from The Simpsons.
- Rainbow Monkeys from Codename: Kids Next Door.
- Dummi Bears from Rugrats.
- The Buddy Bears from Garfield and Friends are a vicious parody of this trope.
- The Schlubs (a Smurfs parody) from The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy.
- The Gigglepies from The Fairly OddParents (subverted, they are evil and want to destroy everything not as cute as they are).
- The Woodland Critters from South Park. (subverted they are evil Satan worshipers)
- Squishy Bearz from Eek The Cat.
- The Biskitts
- The Paw Paw Bears (with extra Braids, Beads and Buckskins)
- Monchichis also had an American cartoon (with a hideous Ear Worm of a theme song)
- Chucklewood Critters.
- Blinky Bill
- The main cast of Littlest Pet Shop (1995).
- The Bluffers
- Ovide and the Gang. Heck, it's right there in the title.
- Forest Friends
- The Centsables
- The Wild Puffalumps