"With reworked weapons, new game modes, and fancier menus and H.U.Ds, it's pretty much better than TF2 in every possible way now. Except for the total lack of hats."
Gang Garrison 2 is a demake
of Team Fortress 2
. Originally created for an indie gaming competition centered on demakes, it found popularity thanks to 4Chan of all places: the first attempts at modding it happened there. Rather than being annoyed at the development, the creators welcomed the contributions, and the game has been constantly updated since. It is freeware
, and can be found here
This game provides examples of:
- Bash Brothers: The healer working with anyone is a force to be reckoned with.
- Bland-Name Product: The booting screen is a (cosmetic) look-alike of Steam called Smoke, the intro screen is, of course, a homage to that of Team Fortress 2, and the game is made by a company called Faucet.
- Bottomless Magazines: Double subverted, all players have an infinite amount of ammo on them, but they still have to reload fired shots.
- Boom, Headshot: Averted. Heads aren't even part of the hitbox. Because of the relative ease of aiming in two dimensions compared to three, the Riflemen class could be nearly unstopable if he could get headshots.
- Bubble Gun: The secret class can create a wall of bubbles that can absorb bullets and reflect mid-air sticky bombs.
- Captain Ersatz: Every character in the game has a very obvious counterpart in Team Fortress 2, save for the Secret Character.
- Capture the Flag: The flags being represented as briefcases.
- Cool Sword: The main method of attacking as Quote or Curly
- Drop-In-Drop-Out Multiplayer: Matchmaking has a dedicated lobby and joining a match is as easy as double clicking
- Featureless Protagonist: All of the eight bit styled class sprites lack facial features.
- Gaming Clan: The community has a vibrant competitive clan setting.
- Game Mod: The game is easily moddable, allowing players to add new classes, weapons or sprites.
- Glass Cannon: The Infiltrator can deliver the game's only One-Hit Kill attack, but has so little health as to be killable in two hits by most classes.
- Knockback: The Firebug and Quote and Curly have attacks that propell other players backward.
- No Scope: Rifleman can charge his shots to be more powerful when scoped, but shoots at a faster rate when he isn't.
- Ludicrous Gibs: Players which are killed by rockets or stickybombs often have this happen.
- Overheating: The Overweight and Firebug both have this restriction on their ammo.
- One-Hit Kill: The Infiltratior's "backstab" will kill a player in one hit either from the front or the back.
- Player Versus Player: All matches are multiplayer brawls.
- Retraux: Considering this was created in 2008 (and constantly updated since then.)
- Rocket Jump: A major mechanic, for both the Rocketman and Detonator.
- Secret Character: You can play as Quote or Curly from Cave Story
- Scoring Points: Getting kills, being useful, and making captures nets you points.
- Side View
- Taunt Button: Pressing the F key will have your player do hold still and do gesture. Sometimes they come with Speech Balloon with a picture inside.
- The Cameo: A secret character from Cave Story is a playable homage of the two game's similar aesthetics.
- Tournament Play: The game has a forum with a very active community, which hosts major tournaments every summer and winter.
- Video Game Demake: of Team Fortress 2