The Glavnoye Razvedyvatel'noye Upravleniye(Main Intelligence Directorate) the second Russian intelligence agency. Though overshadowed
by the KGB
, the GRU, the Russian military intelligence (as opposed to the KGB, which represented the Communist Party and Soviet Government) has conducted much of Russia's espionage in the 20th century. Besides conducting regular espionage operations, it has several thousand Spetznaz
troops under its direct command. Unlike the KGB, the GRU still exists as a part of the modern Russian state.
Not to be confused with
Felonius Gru, the Villain Protagonist
from Despicable Me
Appearances in fiction:
- Plays a role in Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater. The main villain is a Colonel at the GRU, with Revolver Ocelot working under him.
- Team Fortress 2 has the Gloves of Running Urgently for the Heavy, who is Russian.
- Battle Field 3 features GRU agent Dmitri Mayakovsky as a playable character for two missions.
- The Archives stage of GoldenEye (1997) takes place in a GRU office where James Bond and Natalya had been taken for interrogation.
- SCP Foundation has a "Group of Interest" (Factions and groups that has knowledge about the paranormal and metaphysical world like the foundation has) called the GRU Division "P". Founded originally in 1935 to investigate the murder of S. M. Kirov as the "Ch D AKN". During World War 2, the Ch D ANK was reorganized into the GRU Division "P" to counter anomalous threats from the SS and Ahnenerbe and after the war they were involved into recovering paranormal objects in the soviet union or from abroad, making the operations of the Foundation in soviet-influenced areas difficult during the cold war. After the fall of the Soviet Union, the GRU Division "P" was disbanded.
- Resident The Venture Bros. Russian femme-fatale Molotov Cocktease attempts to train Hank and Dean so that Brock Sampson will no longer suffer the indignity of being the Venture family bodyguard. Their textbook: a GRU Spetznaz field manual.