The Glavnoye Razvedyvatel'noye Upravleniye(Main Intelligence Directorate) the second Russian intelligence agency. Though overshadowed by the KGB, the GRU, the Russian military intelligence (as opposed to the KGB, which represented the Communist Party and Soviet Government). has conducted much of Russia's espionage in the 20th century. Besides conducting regular espionage operations, it has several thousand Spetznaz troops under its direct command. Unlike the KGB, the GRU still exists as a part of the modern Russian state.
Appearances in fiction:Film
- Briefly referenced in The Hunt for Red October.
- Plays a role in Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater. The main villain is a Colonel at the GRU, with Revolver Ocelot working under him.
- Team Fortress 2 has the Gloves of Running Urgently for the Heavy, who is Russian.
- Battle Field 3 features GRU agent Dmitri Mayakovsky as a playable character for two missions.
- The Archives stage of Golden Eye 1997 takes place in a GRU office where James Bond and Natalya had been taken for interrogation.
- Resident The Venture Bros. Russian femme-fatale Molotov Cocktease attempts to train Hank and Dean so that Brock Sampson will no longer suffer the indignity of being the Venture family bodyguard. Their textbook: a GRU Spetznaz field manual.