One of the most bizarre films to ever embrace the Hong Kong action films. Directed by Wong Jing (who later follows up with the live action City Hunter
) and very very loosely based on Street Fighter
, in the vein that the characters look like Street Fighter characters, but they're not named after them, except for Chun Li, but only on the 'Chun'.
In far future, Judge Yu Ti Hung is about to deliver the lifetime sentence to a nefarious crime lord named 'The General' (M. Bison). His henchmen; Kent (Ken), Toyota (E. Honda) and Thai King (Sagat); hatched a plan to go back to the past and cause a Temporal Paradox
by killing the young Yu Ti Hung. The local Time Police
aptly named 'Future Cops' sends out four of their men: Lung (Ryu), Broom Man (Guile), Ti Man (Vega) and Ah Sing (Dhalsim). The villains go back in time, while the Future Cops pursue them, except Lung because apparently he's the Police's Director son in law
. (The rest of the cops do not take this well for awhile)
So Broom Man, Ti Man and Ah Sing go to the past and gets help from a 20 years old high school student named Tai Hung (who's quite possibly based on Nobita
with the This Loser Is You
treatment dialled Up to Eleven
) and pose as students and teachers in the school where Yu Ti Hung used to enroll, in hopes to find him and protect him. Things get wacky when they encounter the bad guys, as well as finding out that Tai Hung is actually Yu Ti Hung
If you have been reading the paragraphs above, yes, you will realize that the alignment of the good/bad guys have been messed up. Regardless, this show seems to be more of a parody, provides a lot of silly, hilarious and wacky moments and doesn't take itself very seriously.
Tropes associated with this film:
- Bad Ass: The heroes and villains. One of them deflected a bag of paint by shouting at it.
- Beauty Is Never Tarnished: Played for laughs. To take on the Big Bad, the Future Cops must give Tai Hung and Chun May more powerful versions of the Mega Manning chips - with Chun May, the application is painless, but Tai Hung needs to have his chip shoved up his nose in a parody of that scene from the original Total Recall 1990.
- Big Damn Heroes (Tai Hung, who initially fails at it, but leads into the Took a Level in Badass moment)
- Butt Monkey: Tai Hung for the first quarter of the movie and Broom Head's pigtailed female student, whose only purpose seems to be to get beaten up.
- Cannot Tell a Lie (The Future Cops. Anytime they tell a lie, a program installed in their bodies will electrocute them. This is how Vega/Ti Man spilled the beans to Chun May (later to be Chun Li), Tai Hung's sister.)
- We never tell lies! *BBBBZZZZTTTTTTTTT!!!!!*
- Captain Ersatz (Every one of them)
- Lung -> Ryu (both of them can be taken to mean dragon)
- Kent -> Ken with a jacket.
- Toyota -> Honda with clothes.
- Thai King -> Sagat with hair.
- Broom Head -> Guile with a much taller hair.
- Ah Sing -> Dhalsim with a Badass Longcoat and hair.
- Ti Man -> Vega/Balrog with a Badass Longcoat and a different mask.
- The General -> M.Bison/Vega
- Chun May and Chun Dai (her and Tai Hung's mom) (after their upgrade)-> Chun Li
- Uncle Richard/Green Wolf -> Blanka
- Yu Ti Hung/Tai Hung/Ng Kung/Ng Kwan Yu -> Nobita at first, then Son Goku.
- Chuck Cunningham Syndrome: Or rather 'have no counterparts existing in this film'. Zangief and Balrog/M.Bison have no representatives, as does the newcomers of Super Street Fighter II (Cammy, Fei-Long, Dee Jay and T. Hawk). The latter can be justified with the fact that the movie is released on the same year (and earlier) with the game.
- The Danza: Uncle Richard is played by Richard Ng.
- Everythings Worse With Bees: Tai Hung nearly jumped from the second floor only to find his girlfriend passing by. He stops in the middle of falling, standing on the balcony... then a random bee decided to be a dick and stung him and made him fell
- Extreme Omnivore: The Future Cops were shown to first eat shoes, which they claim to be good for digestion. Later they were shown eating a refrigerator. Also, a sports commentator ate a mike and a marble table after losing a bet.
- Future Badass (Look at The Reveal below)
- Genius Bruiser: Broom Head can teach any subject. Also, he made a nuclear bomb as an alternative to his CV. In seconds. Out of nothing.
- G-Rated Sex (our heroes come from a No Sex Allowed future, and "orgasm pills" are created to rectify this)
- Gratuitous English (Uncle Richard (Blanka), also counts as CMOF and perhaps Surprisingly Good English. Tai Hung also did this once.)
- "Only you! Can seem the world so bright! Only you! Can make the darkness bright! London bridge is falling down! Twinkle twinkle little star! Please stand behind the yellow line! Next station is Wong Tai Sin! I am a man! A man and many many pens!"
- Grievous Harm with a Body: (Blanka is used as a soccerball, an electric one.)
- Heel Face Turn (Kent, in the last moment)
- Siu Wai/Crab Angel in the beginning is Kei-On's girlfriend and usually joins in bullying Tai Hung. But after a dangerous run-in with Kent and being saved by Broom Man, she is redeemed and mostly becomes a good girl.
- Here We Go Again (The ending had Lung arriving and telling the Future Cops that there's a new criminal on the loose so they get to stay with Tai Hung's family and the quest are to continue as the movie ends)
- In Appearance Only: To be fair, some of the character names are what they would be if they were translated to cantonese or mandarin.
- It Was a Gift: Tai Hung gets a Homemade Sweater From Hell from his love interest. It becomes important later on.
- Knight of Cerebus: First three quarters of the movie, it's pure slapstick with some actions. Then when the General arrives into the present, the show takes a slightly darker turns, there are humors here and there, but the General takes himself very seriously and his threat was genuinely high.
- Made of Iron: The guys from the future. Ti Man was unharmed after being stabbed in the back by a knife.
- Broom Man also survived being smashed with multiple cars and got stuck with it, although he was depowered in that state... until he got kissed.
- Mega Manning (Tai Hung is given three microchips by the Future Cops, allowing him to replicate their powers. Considering the Trope Namer is also a Capcom property...)
- Mundane Made Awesome (Ti Lung picked up a live snake (part of a prank from a 'classmate')... then proceeds to rip its organ, eat it, spin it around and use it as a belt)
- Noble Demon (Kent, who eventually gave the antidote to Ti Man (which he inflicted himself) after being 'spared' by Broom Man. Then he's really disconcerted when The General is about to inflict harm to the innocents just to get to Yu Ti Hung. He gets punished for it and wisely did the right thing: defecting).
- Orifice Invasion (while Tai Hung's sister is given Chun Li's powers in a painless manner, he himself gets the same powers shoved up his nose. It's the size of an orange too...)
- Pun-Based Title: The Mandarin title can be translated as "Super School Fighter".
- Put on a Bus (Not-Ryu appears in the future scenes in the beginning, then is transported to the present time at the very end of the movie)
- Refuge in Audacity
- The Reveal (Tai Hung is Yu Ti Hung)
- Shout Out: Arguably, the entire movie is a blatant shout out/ripoff of Japan's 80s-90s video game/anime industry. We've got Street Fighter and Dragon Ball expies, one scene where some people went into a Mario level, etc.
- The movie ends with Lung telling everyone else that a super saiyan has arrived from the future.
- Survival Mantra: "The world is beautiful! The air's fresh!" (It fails at first. But... After The Reveal, Tai Hung started reciting it again)
- Teen Genius: Chun May is obviously younger than Tai Hung, but she has graduated college, gotten a job... just to emphasis further on Tai Hung's loser guy image. Oh, and if they end up in a sibling fight, she wins.
- Tempting Fate: The sports commentator makes claims about how Tai Hung isn't gonna win or else he'll eat something ridiculous (see Extreme Omnivore above). Guess what happens. *
- This Loser Is You (Tai Hung. Oh dear God, Tai Hung)
- Took a Level in Badass (Tai Hung, culminating him in transforming into Son Goku)