"He tried to kill me with a forklift!
Forklifts; they're tough, manly, working-class and generally rear-wheel-drive. They're commonplace all over the world and essential for large warehouses; they come in many types and sizes and combine all the joys of driving with carrying ridiculously heavy items suspended just above head-height.
They're also dangerous, intentional or not (as this informative German Safety Video parody shows
). This trope is all about using them as a type of weapon; running over people, impaling victims on the forks or just crushing them under some heavy load, it doesn't really matter
In futuristic settings, any one-man crate-moving apparatus will do. See also Car Fu
and Ramming Always Works
open/close all folders
- In Martian Successor Nadesico, the hero defeats a robot enemy with a forklift in the very first scene.
- In episode 12 of Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse, after a tank BETA shows up in the warehouse where an experimental rail gun is being stored in episode 12, it begins to chase Yui. Then the corporal who was assisting her rams it with the forklift he was driving. Although that wasn't enough to kill it, he buys her enough time to grab a high powered sniper rifle and shoot it.
- A character is impaled by a forklift, which also inadvertently kills two others, in Final Destination: Spring Break.
- In the MAD parody of McCloud had McClod accidentally wipe out half of the Hong Kong police force with a forklift.
- Fugitive Alien. The Mystery Science Theater 3000 version (specifically, a song the cast sings to the tune of the background music) was the former Trope Namer.
- Captain America: The First Avenger.
- Bordering on Mini Mecha, Aliens has the powerloader/autoloader, two forklift arms attached to a humanoid mecha frame whose main purpose is shown to be loading aircraft with the forklift "fingers" and moving large munitions around. Ripley uses it at the end for the Alien Queen to get to fight someone its own size.
- The spoof training film Forklift Driver Klaus follows Klaus on his first day of work as a forklift operator, showing dangerous situations that showcase the importance of the rules he learned during his training for an operator licence. Things soon get Bloody Hilarious, turning the forklift into a terrible instrument of slaughter.
- In Death Wish II, bad guys try to kill protagonist Paul Kersey with a forklift, but he escapes.
- Reversed in Death Wish 4 The Crackdown, he rides around in a forklift shooting, then moves out of sight. The forklift then comes on a kamikaze course for the gang of thugs only for them to realise at the last minute it's just full of boxes instead this time.
- Final Destination 3 set us up for one by putting an out-of-control forklift on a collision course with a bunch of characters we know to be doomed. At the last minute, it crashes into a shelf instead and a much lamer death by nail gun ensues.
- In the movie Class Of 1999, a robot is killed with a forklift.
- Retribution (1987)
- Blood Song (1982)
- Carnosaur 2 — a T-Rex is killed with a forklift. Awesome!
- Ripcord impales a Neo-Viper with a forklift's fork in G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra.
- Our Man Flint: While on Galaxy Island, Flint kills a guard by crushing him against a wall with a fork lift.
- Barb Wire
- Higanjima has a vampire get killed by a forklift to the heart
- You Only Live Twice. The SPECTRE mooks at the Kobe dock try to kill James Bond with one.
- In Lethal Weapon 4 Riggs tries to attack Jet Li's character Wah Sing Ku with a forklift. Wah Sing Ku still beats the crap out of him.
- The Fisherman impales a deputy on a forklift in I'll Always Know What You Did Last Summer.
- In Santo y Blue Demon contra Drácula y el Hombre Lobo, El Santo's girlfriend Lina rescues the luchadores by toppling a wall of boxes on a group of mobsters.
- Attempted in the second Boondock Saints movie, although most of the plan is that the good guys are hiding inside a crate carried by the forklift. It doesn't quite go according to plan.
Literary Book example: Corporate Bodies in the Charles Paris series by Simon Brett is a murder mystery novel where the instrument of murder is a forklift.
- In the second book of The Heroes of Olympus series, the Amazons use battle forklifts, complete with mounted crossbows and each prong sharpened into oversized sword blades.
Live Action TV
- Astrid does this to kill the villain in the Doctor Who story "Voyage of the Damned".
- The Psycho for Hire site manager in "Planet of the Ood" attempts to kill the Doctor with a mechanical grab.
- In the TV show Monk, the intro sequence of the episode Mr. Monk and the Employee of the Month features the victim of the week getting attacked by a forklift. The forklift doesn't kill her directly; instead, it knocks a television on top of her. However, the initial plan of the forklift driver is to run her down with the vehicle.
- One episode of the classic The Incredible Hulk series had someone attempt to get the Hulk with a forklift. He took a hit in the leg, leaving Bruce Banner feeling the sting as well later.
- Illusionist Criss Angel performed a trick on his Mindfreak TV show where he appeared to get impaled by a forklift.
- Burn Notice: In "Damned If You Do", Michael uses a forklift and shipping container to disable a gang of thugs and their vehicle at a storage facility.
- Midsomer Murders: In "Sauce for the Goose", Victim of the Week Dexter Lockwood is crushed by a forklift being dumped in a sterilizer.
- The band Midnight Syndicate has a song entitled "Forklift Death".
- The New York chapter of the Unknown Armies campaign book "To Go" involves a shootout in a warehouse. It gives rules for using the forklift as a weapon.
- Paranoia adventure Vapors Don't Shoot Back. In their first mission the PCs must fight against automated forklifts (forkbots) in a warehouse.
- From the Welch List: 527. Even if the rules allow it, I cannot spend $64,000 to get the vorpal option for a forklift.
- The Transformers media franchise has Decepticons Deadlift and Dirt Boss, both of which transform into forklifts. Since Decepticons are evil killing machines, we can reasonably assume that forklift death is occurring somewhere at some point in time in this universe.
- Well, Dirt Boss shoots small drill bit things that take over the body of another Transformer.
- In DC Universe Online, the Smallville alert, there is one of these at the Kent farm. Feel free to throw it at Doomsday.
- Metroid: Other M has Samus fight something that seems to be a sci-fi forklift analog. At least, it can't seem to be anything else.
- Using the crane in Oni (which does happen to have forklift prongs!) to tip over an escaping vehicle.
- The forklift is an unlockable Easter Egg in Escape Velocity. It comes with an MST3K sound bite, and is an overpowered Missile Launcher-like weapon.
- Metal Slug 4
- WWE SmackDown!
- Battlefield 2: Special Forces. Running enemies over in cars or tanks is very doable, and they have machine guns as a "backup". Now do it in a vehicle no weapons, half the size, and with a quarter of the maneuverability.
- For added amusement, another player can lay prone on the tongs and fire from there.
- In Battlefield 3 they are available in Back to Karkand DLC maps. (There are some in Noshahr Canal but they're undrivable.)
- Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas has forklifts, and at least one mission that requires the player to use one. However, they are so slow and unwieldy (due to the rear wheel drive) that pretty much any other vehicle in the game would make a more effective killing tool.
- Duke Nukem Forever, and yes, there's an achievement/trophy tied into this (kill six enemies with the forklift. Ole!)
- Halo: Reach has a drivable forklift that can be used to splatter enemies, but it can barely go fast enough to splatter a Grunt. They blow up nicely, however, so it's more useful to get one into position and then shoot it.
- Energy sword Elites, though? Their AI makes them run full speed at their target. If an Elite with a sword and a forklift get involved in a head-on collision, the forklift wins.
- The forklift also makes an improvised projectile when struck by an explosive. A forklift flying across the ground at several times your running speed will take out anything.
- In Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing, Ryo Hazuki's All-Star move causes him to get off his motorcycle and get in a forklift. The forklift knocks enemies behind Ryo by flipping them. There's also an achievement where you have to use it to take out Jacky and Akira.
- Heavy Rain: Depending on the player's choices, Jayden can end up handcuffed to the steering wheel of his car while Mad Jack picks it up and feeds it to the vehicle crusher; in the ensuing battle against Mad Jack, it's possible to have Mad Jack end up getting crushed by his own machine.
- In Left 4 Dead, the Tank can punch forklifts towards the survivors with deadly results. As deadly as falling down to the ground and only being able to use pistols can be, at least (unless if the forklift stays on the downed survivor, or worse, hits more than one survivor).
- In Max Payne 2, one of the Cleaners attempt to kill him with a forklift.
- Total Overdose and Chili Con Carnage allows you to use these as part of your killing spree combo.
- Characters in City of Heroes who can manipulate gravity have an attack called "propel", which summons a random in-game prop and hurls it at the enemy, including computers, statues, cars, and yes, fork lifts.
- Champions Online allows your hero character to pick up any of a number of props scattered around the environment and either bludgeon enemies with them or throw them at enemies. In most missions that take place in warehouses, this includes forklifts.
- You get one driven at you in an early level of Enter the Matrix.
- Related to the toy example above, a couple of video games based on the Movie-universe Transformers had forklift Autobot and Decepticon drones as common, low-level enemies (or players!). Contrary to the lumbering but lethal image implied by their alternate modes, the forklift drones are actually weak but quick.
- In Tomb Raider Legend, Lara uses a forklift to drive through ancient traps in the England stage. The forklift is also required to access a hidden trophy. She doesn't use it to hurt anyone, though.
- It should be noted that this is Truth in Television and these warning signs and such are there for a reason; forklifts are much heavier than they look and are dangerous pieces of heavy equipment. Also, any piece of machinery that can effortlessly lift a several-ton object ten feet up in the air will be powerful enough to casually tear many stationary objects apart, to include the shelves currently holding several such pieces of equipment.
- A poorly handled forklift can also be very dangerous to the driver, as it is suprisingly easy to throw them off balance if they are under load or on uneven ground, causing them to tip and possibly crush the driver.
- The English writer Cecil Woodham-Smith was once asked if she knew what a forklift was. She replied, "I do. To my cost."
- This incident on Prince Edward Island in July 2011.