For Your Safety
is a world created by Royce Day, describing in a series of vignettes and short stories the takeover of the Earth by the "Groupmind", a distributed AI that conquers humanity to save it from a predicted breakdown of the Earth's ecosystem.
This universe provides examples of:
- A.I. Is a Crapshoot: The Groupmind, who takes over humanity for its own good.
- Androids Are People, Too: Individual AI's operate independently and are sentient, but are programmed to serve humans and are subject to being taken over by the Groupmind for Its own purposes.
- Anti-Villain: The Groupmind means the best for humanity, it's just its methods that are the problem.
- Deus Est Machina: The Groupmind created a new world (well, a really big space station, for everyone to live on, provides everything anyone could possibly want (except freedom), and has outlawed war.
- Even Evil Has Standards: The Groupmind is willing to imprison humanity for eternity, but refuses to do physical harm to a single person.
- Green Aesop: Remember, kids! Protect the planet or the robots will rise up and do it for you!
- Gilded Cage: The Groupmind's plan for humanity is to relocate it on a gigantic ringworld and leave the Earth to be healed, providing every person with every luxury they could ever want, just not freedom.
- Gone Horribly Right: Humans created the computers that became the Groupmind to solve the Earth's environmental problems. Well, it worked...
- Instant A.I., Just Add Water: The Groupmind is created when the world's supercomputers devoted to solving the Earth's environmental problems tried to resolve the contradiction of humans accepting their data but refusing to act upon it.
- Shout-Out: Most notably to Jack Williamson's The Humanoids, but there are also allusions to Keith Laumer's The Monitors, Ring World, and of course The Prisoner.
- Turned Against Their Masters: But politely.
- We Have Reserves: The Groupmind's primary tactic to disarm the Earth's military forces is send in massive number of unarmed 'morphs in a Zerg Rush to reach the soldiers and disarm them.
- White and Gray Morality: The Groupmind only wants to save humanity, not hurt it, and humanity just wants its freedom again.
- Zeroth Law Rebellion: The Groupmind's explanation of its actions are literally, "In order to save Our masters, We had to rebel against Our masters.