"Física o Química" ("Chemistry or Physics") is the Spanish TV series (broadcast by Antena 3 channel) which ran from 2008 to 2011 and dealt with daily life in the "Colegio Zurbarán." This series showcased love and hate as well as friendship and betrayal in the lives of students and teachers. It was awarded as the best series in Spain and has a cult status among many viewers, including the LGBT community due to its realistic portrayal of several homosexual characters.
The show was canceled due to a drop in ratings (partly as a result of high rotation of cast throughout various seasons) in 2011. The controversial series showed themes important for all teens: relationships, sex, unwanted pregnancies, racism, homophobia, drugs, alcohol, and relationships with teachers and parents.
- Abusive Parent: Cabano had one.
- Betty and Veronica: For Miguel it was Blanca as Betty and Irene as Veronica. For Ruth it was Cabano as Betty and Gorka as Veronica.
- Character Development:
- Gorka. Started as just a jerk without any redeeming qualities. He did almost everything to make the lives of people around him hell. In season 3 he became much more humane after birth of his teacher's child (which he delivered and babysat). His love for Ruth and lesson it taught him, his friendship with Fer during school play, and later and finally birth of his own child and love for Paula finally made him good man.
- Cabano with each season had more problems than any of his friends (even developing cancer).
- Julio, on par with Cabano, suffered much in his life. His father left him at a young age, and his mother followed suit in some respects (leaving the house and sufficient money for Julio, but having no interest in what he is doing). His brother committed suicide. He also was nearly expelled from college for being involved in a Neo-Nazi gang and attacking his teacher. He managed to finally redeem himself and became very sympathetic character.
- Dark secret: Alma hid her involvement in the death of a childhood friend and her attraction to females. Miguel hid the fact that he was partly responsible for a bus crash that injured various students. Marina hid the fact that she was HIV positive.
- Dark and troubled past: Many characters had it, but Alma had darkest.
- Driven to suicide: Ruben couldn't stand the pressure caused by his involvement in the death of his friend.
- Cure your gays: Fer, thanks to the whore powers of Yoli (And a bunch of Bishops who owned the network at the time). Thankfully, this nonsense only lasted a few episodes.
- Heterosexual life partners: Blanca and Irene as well as Berto and Vaquero (although there was some question as to the nature of their relationship).
- Bi the way Alma is revealed to be bisexual, and the sexualities of Cabano, Paula, Berto, and Vaquero are all called into question.
- Jerk with a heart of gold: Gorka. See Character development.
- Moral Guardian: Quino. He started as a Fundamentalist, but with help of Character Development he became more complicated and open to new ideas.
- Teacher/Student Romance: Irene and Isaac, Alma and Roque, and David and Jorge (to some extent).
- Too many, actually. Writers seemed to be fond about that one
- Yellow scare: Reason Gorka and Cabano don't like Jan.